Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What to eat before a race?
Quote | Reply
The pre-race meal has always been a bit of a stumblingblock for me. I've tried a few different things, and I generally know what to stay away from, but I haven't quite figured out that optimum meal. Just wondering what y'all eat before a big race. I've got one coming up this weekend, a half IM, and I'm planning my eating for the week.

I've eaten everything from sub sandwiches (a favorite meal the night before a sprint) to a small steak and plain baked potato.

And while we're at it, what about breakfast? I know that you're supposed to eat two hours before the race, but what? I know the general guidelines, but I am looking for specific meals some of you have had success with.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before a race? [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my meal of choice the night before the race is pizza, preferrably new york style. meal of choice for breakfast depends on the length of the race. for gulf coast this year i had pizza hut chicken & garlic pizza the night before (~8pm) and a bagel w/ peanut butter and 2 bananas for brekkie along with gatorade. i had a very good race.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before a race? [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Night before it's either pizza or chicken and potatoes. Never pasta the night before.

Breakfast: One of the following....Almond butter and jam sandwich; bagel and cream cheese; cereal and non-fat yogurt. Kinda depends on what I have on hand or what's available, if traveling.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before a race? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No set plan for dinner night before.
As for breakfast:
Either, Bagel with peanut butter + banana
or Quaker instant oatmeal + banana
12oz or so of sports drink + coffee.

Note: Hotel lobbies usually have some sort of complimentary continental breakfast that will likely
include some or all of the above. ;-)

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried a number of things, including many that others who've responded have listed. The best "real food" pre-race meal I've ever had, however, is lasagna. We have a friend who makes it for us, and we take it frozen to events all over the place. We call it "Marti's Magic Lasagna", and it has worked like a charm, from Ironman races to Ultra-Cycling events. Go figure.

On the scientific side, there is a very good resource on http://www.hammernutrition.com/. Go down about half a page on the left and there is a downloadable PDF file called the "Fueling Handbook". Starting at page 27, is a section called "Pre-race Fueling".

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before a race? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have never thought that pizza would be a good pre-race meal. I always thought it would be too fatty and heavy on the stomach. That several of you eat it the night before is good news: Pizza is a favorite meal of mine. I routinely eat a pizza the night before big training days, and generally have pretty good success. I've just never considered doing it before race day. It would seem that if it worked for training, it would work for racing, though. Go figure.

As for breakfast, I have been eating a couple of peanut butter and jelly (or sometimes just peanut butter) sandwiches on wheat bread with a PowerBar and Gatorade.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pre race dinner is always Pizza for me. And lots of it. I just cut the jalepenos for obvious reasons.

My secret weapon pre-race breakfast is even more non-traditional: half dozen glazed donuts (or less for shorter races). Woooo Hoooo. Like solid rocket fuel.
Quote Reply
Re: What to eat before a race? [keyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pre race usually something with protein and carbo's, like chicken or steak burritos or pasta w/chicken. A margarita or beer and water. For breakfast it's 2 snickers (1.5 if king size) and a ton of water. Right before I start my warmup I drink a 12-16 oz defizzed soda. Tasty, and since I don't drink coffee I still get my caffeine! Might have to try the donuts now though!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my best races after salmon or fresh sushi the night before. Yum yum!!
As for the morning of a half or full Ironman...it's usually yogurt with Platinum Performance granular, a half bagel w/peanut butter +/- a banana, and a Metabolol shake.

TriDi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Night before the race grilled chicken and sweet potato, or salmon / tuna.

Pre race breakfast 3 hours before the race; hammergel and sustained energy (550 cals).

Not very exciting, but works great for my stomach, and minimizes the "dump"calls to the porta johns.

Henk

Alex Jonker
Quote Reply