Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Diet
Quote | Reply
I have been reading about diet lately and am curious what other athletes are doing. My parents (in their 60's) and several neighbors are trying the Atkins approach (I personally can't see the merits of this approach), I have read that Joe Friel is an advocate of the Paleo diet, Dr. Ornish has another twist, and finally there is what I will call the "traditional" diet that Nancy Clark and others are advocating. What diet, and by this I am not referring to fads like the onion diet, carrot diet, grapefruit diet, etc., is working for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Diet [Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Train 14+ hours per week and eat whatever you want!

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy: Whilst there is nothing that 600 miles/wk won't erase, I believe that was not the point to the question. Besides, it should read: "eat whatever you can", not "you want" Most people on highly demanding training hours might have a problem adding up their calorical need, if they just eat so much as they "want to". Your body might still be hungry but you're tired of putting food down your mouth.
Dan: At the risk of sounding cliché, I believe all those _x_y_z_ diet seem so extremist and there is no better deal than a well loaded carb-rich, protein-rich, veggie-rich diet. Meaning, lots of pasta, lots of beef (meat/chicken), and lots of salad. I feel good.
Though, do you need your diet to lose weight? Perhaps you're willing to gain muscle mass, or even (gasp) add body fat! It can all depend. Secondly, I don't believe athletes who need 5000+ kcal/day should follow the same recipes for "regular" 2500kcal people. Our physiological needs are quite different. But then again, I'm no MD. Don't take my word for anything =)

Ricardo Wickert | Team Magnesium Pur - Germany | My sporadically updated blog: The Thin Grad Line | My team-issued TT bike: Trek Speed Concept 9

2015 Sponsors & Partners: Magnesium Pur | Ullmax | B&W Bike Cases | Ristorante La Dolce Vita | Trek Bikes via Bici-Sport Binder
Last edited by: wickert: May 26, 03 19:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

I've been teaching nutrition and diet in my biochemistry classes for 25 years. Moreover, I've spent most of those 25 years being an obese but active man. I've studied every diet out there, from a personal and scientific perspective. I've actually done all or parts of Atkins, Body for Life, Ornish, and others.

I used to rail against Atkins. I no longer do. His maintenance diet actually makes sense.

I used to swear by Ornish--because I'm a heart disease survivor and his program is known to reverse heart disease. I no long think his program is the only way to go--although I still consider it very healthy.

Body for Life is great for the strength training part (although almost any other good strength-training program will provide the same benefits), but the rest of Body for Life is definitely not for everyone (if anyone).

I've come to the conclusion that as long as you do the following, the details aren't so critical: (a) develop a lifestyle that you can live with the rest of your life, not just a temporary diet to lose weight; (b) follow a program you can enjoy, so it really will last a lifetime; (c) make sure the diet is low in saturated fats and low in trans fatty acids (you can even do Atkins, as long as you skip the high-fat hamburger and bacon and the like); (d) make sure the diet includes lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; (e) eat simple sugars and foods with high glycemic index in moderation; and (f) exercise a lot, including copious amounts of cardio and some strength training. Some people, like me, who have a history of overeating and obesity also might need to add (g) cognitive-behavioral modification (i.e., learning how to deal with food in a reasonable way, how to plan and think so that excess eating is no longer attractive).

Applying these things, I've lost 65 pounds and kept it off for 3 years. I'm not on Atkins or Ornish or any other published program. I'm on a program that works for me and has given me the confidence that it will continue working for me for the rest of my life.

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Re: Diet [ScottFromUtah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott--the best thing you said in that whole paragraph is that it is not a diet it is a LIFESTYLE. That is exactly the approach people must have. Diets don't work but a lifestyle change does. Your approach does incorporate alittle from each program. Add a couple of protein shakes and you have Body-for-life. A great program for the less incumbered people. Its always hard to eat clean. But once you do--wow the changes come in a hurry. My father who is in his 60's lost 40 pounds over the winter by developing a lifestyle. It is great because now he will have a chance to grow up with my kids. To enjoy life.

Good luck everyone on your eating habits. I am a compulsive eater and I know how hard it is for you. Stick with it, changes do not happen over night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had great success with a really radical diet - balanced nutrition. It does share some of the concepts of the paleo diet - keep foods as natural as possible, stay away from worthless simple sugars, etc.

However, as part of a balanced diet, carbs are useful. I get the vast majority of my carbs from complex carbs and from "more natural" sources. By more natural I mean whole grain wheat bread or long grain brown rice instead of a candy bar and a coke.

One of the best things I've done with regard to diet is to view food as a fuel rather than a hobby. I think about what my body needs and when it needs it, then I eat the fuel that fits those needs.
Quote Reply
Re: Diet [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Excellent comment: food as fuel rather than hobby. This is what I meant by cognitive-behavioral changes. I have had to change how I think about food. Before, it was, yes, a hobby, but also a "fix" for stress, and vehicle for celebration, a central activity at family get-togethers, and a "companion" for times of boredom.

--Scott

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to see a thread on what I see as a core issue to fitness. I believe that most of those who enter the sport do so to improve our mental and physical being. To achieve such improvements it should be seen as imperative that we fuel our bodies as they SHOULD be fueled. Balanced nutrition, limited or no junk food, and proper nutritional supplementation. I am sometimes amazed to see triathletes who see their training as a free daily pass to eat poorly. As we all find that triathlon is a LIFESTYLE, it should go hand in hand that NUTRITION is a lifestyle and not a "fix." To break a six minute mile you don't take an expensive placibo and go to bed hoping to wake up with faster legs. You get your ass up to the track and make those legs hurt a little. "But that's just me...what do I know"

Daniel

"Our bodies are our gardens - our wills are our gardeners" --William Shakespeare
Quote Reply