Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

T1 Wetsuit removal and goggles
Quote | Reply
I was practicing removing my new T1 today when I tried to do it w/ my Aqua Seal goggles on. Even if I put my goggles under the swim cap, they tend to come off my head when I remove the top. I am afraid I will drop the goggles on the way to T1 which will bum me out as they are not cheap!! Any suggestions? I guess I could use a lower profile goggle but I like the fact that if the Aqua Seal leaks, it usually is a small amount, whereas other goggles I have found can leak like crazy if they get jostled or hit at the start. By the way after practicing a few times this past week, I can get the T1 off dry in 20-30 secs.
Quote Reply
Re: T1 Wetsuit removal and goggles [Triman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take the middle of the back of the strap and staple it to my head. Oh, sure, it hurts and sometimes bleeds profusely, so I don't do it in salt water where I'd attract sharks. Also, I hang a unit of blood on my bike in case I need a transfusion during T1...I make sure the blood is taken out of it's ice bath container 30 minutes before the race so it won't be too cold, and if I find I don't use it, I take it home and put it on my roses...blood makes great rose food because of the iron in it. It is sort of hard to remove the stapled strap, but I can do that while running through T1 before I put my bike helmet on. I put a rag in the back of my helmet so that the pressure helps to stop the bleeding...don't want to stain my white shirt. (Unlike too many commercials on TV, I'm not going to say "Don't try this at home...I figure that people that are dumb enough to try some of the stunts depicted in commmercials should be allowed to do the stunt...it will cut down on overpopulation problems, and we'll systematically be getting rid of the dumber people.)

Other than using that staple technique, I'd just say you'll have to take your chances during top removal...if they fall off, it will take you an extra five seconds to stop, bend down, and pick them up. It's just a compromise for having a two piece suit that you take off over your head. Or, you could have a buddy watch you in T1, and that buddy could collect them if they fall, although theoretically, you could get a penalty for littering the course.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found that when the T1 top is wet, I'm able to stretch it away from my face on the way off and it clears my goggles. (Make sure you're not running up a flight of stairs on your way back to the transition zone as you pull it over your head though...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... you think that is a problem... imagine having Prescription Goggles... Takng them off to get the T1 off is a real pain... oops, I mean it's a real blind feeling.

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple weeks ago, I did exactly what you are afraid of. I was finishing the swim of the Galena, IL tri and pulled my DeSoto wetsuit top over my head while I was running out of the water. Needless to say, my Seal Mask was still on my head and went flying off into 2ft of water never to be seen again.

I guess I need to be more careful or at least wait until I'm on dry land to pull off the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
normally I take my swim cap and googles off first and keep them in my hand as I remove the top. Then as I am taking the top off, I let go of the googles and cap and it stays inside the top as the top is turned inside out.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply