Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc Injury Rehab
Quote | Reply
Hey Docs, PTs, DCs or other informed individuals,

I have a recent (10 week old) disc injury that is plaguing me. Luckily its not a whopper. No true radicular signs. Took some time to nail down a diagnosis and it's lucky I'm a PT or it might have been misdiagnosed.

My current main symptom/signs are:
  1. intermitent ache in the right glut
  2. moderately decreased gluteal tone that varies with activities
  3. moderate to severe pain with running >5 minutes

I can swim and bike with very little pain, but doing these can cause a decrease in glut tone.

Here's my request. I have looked for some info on rehab, prognosis etc for a disc injury but have only found general info of which I was already aware. From my training I know how to treat the general population but have never had to treat an athlete with a disc injury.
  1. Anyone have experience with treating/recovering from a disc injury? If so, were you/your patient able to return to running/tris successfully?
  2. Any good references on outcomes/treatment?
  3. Any opinion on how significant the gluteal tone is as a warning sign? This increased tone does not usually come with peripheralized pain but it can.

On the advice of a sportsmed physician, I have written off this season. I would, however, like to do base training over the summer towards having a strong return next year and possibly do a few shorter races towards the end of the summer. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Richard

PS. Injuries suck. NOTE I am JUST exiting the anger stage of grieving.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Injury Rehab [Richard_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your disc. I have had (and recovered from) 2 disc herniations myself. The first I had micodiscectomy on (15yrs ago) the second I treated conservatively (4yrs ago). As a Pt youl'l know that the good news is that discogenic pain with or without radiculopathy nearly always gets better conservatively.

In my case I was treated with stabilization exercises, chiropractic (I am one) and antiinflammatories PRN. Since then I have done 3 full seasons of triathlon and marathoning with less back pain than I have in a long time. My second go around took about 8 mo to really get better but only 4 mo befor I could train.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Injury Rehab [Richard_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever you do do not try to force the issue. I had back surgery last August and will be doing a half iron distance race to celebrate the new back. After 15 years of dealing with it, my back has never been better, which is a hell of a relief for my leg. I had sciattica and no longer have reflex in my ankle and moderate at my knee. This is from the length of my injury and trying to work through it. I place greater emphasis on yoga/ stretching as the "no miss" workout session and pay attention to my posture at all times. I was walking three hours after surgery, swimming at 4 weeks, riding at 7 weeks and running at 12 weeks. I am 38 yo so it wasn't that I was young and could just bounce back. I paid attetion to how I felt and made no plans, other than the race in September. If I had to take an extended time off, BFD I took the time. My mileage on the bike is up to 75 miles, I can easily run 15+ with only the usual discomfort and swimming never was an issue. Just take your time getting better. Two summers in a row I lived for 4 weeks on the floor of my house eating like a dog with an ottoman supporting my midsection. A back injury can get very ugly. Take your time.
Quote Reply