Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dan, do you have any advice for time trialists who must follow the UCI?
Quote | Reply
In Canada, theoretically one must follow the bike rules set down by the UCI, although the rules are not always enforced or followed. What advice can you offer with regards to aerodynamics, comfort, and other elements of bike setup that could maximize one's time trial potential. (I am not interested in bending the rules, as I do agree with the concept of a standard for everybody, even though the seat 5 cm behind the BB seems a bit arbitrary.)
Quote Reply
Re: Dan, do you have any advice for time trialists who must follow the UCI? [DRAwpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you may want to check those rules, I have heard that UCI rules on bikes only apply to CAT 1 and above. If so, use whatever you want.

try www.uci.ch
Quote Reply
Re: Dan, do you have any advice for time trialists who must follow the UCI? [DRAwpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as has been pointed out, in the U.S. UCI rules only apply when it's a race held under UCI rules, which are international races. it's sort of like ITU draft-legal style rules, these only apply to a few people (among non-ITU pros, only the elite juniors need to worry about these rules).

my suspicion is that canada may be the same way, you probably don't race under UCI rules that govern bike design, only canadian federation rules. perhaps you might check that out, and see what sort of bike requirements hold sway.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: Dan, do you have any advice for time trialists who must follow the UCI? [not a PCer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow no wonder canada is so backwards. thinking the uci is the end all be all of what is safe and right in cycling. the uci is a prehistoric backward old white boy organzation. so go ahead and fully embrace the old and illogical.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're referring to the seat must be 5 cm behind the BB rule, what comes to my mind, assuming it's a legal loophole, is why not run some sort of a blunted, sawed off saddle to give you a more forward position when measured from end of saddle to BB. Just wondering if this has been done before?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Kraig Willett [ In reply to ]
Re: Dan, do you have any advice for time trialists who must follow the UCI? [Kraig Willett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where are all the busted wheels in usa triathlon and usa cycling races? the whole idea that not following what the uci says is dangerous has no evedince. are you saying that the us organzations don't have safety rules for equipment?

the uci is worthless steaming pile of crap.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Kraig Willett [ In reply to ]
Re: Dan, do you have any advice for time trialists who must follow the UCI? [Kraig Willett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you didn't. i misread. my bad.

Quote Reply
Answer is [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kick the seat back to 5cm and pedal like hell. Or see if you can make or score the Euro sawed off saddle. G
Quote Reply
Re: Dan, do you have any advice for time trialists who must follow the UCI? [not a PCer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so what your saying is that by following a group that shuts down inovation for no other reason than tradition is looking to the future? the uci has to be followed by the vast majority of american cyclist because the u.s. does follow the lead of that pre-historic murder of crows and if an american dreams of racing in europe they have to go by the uci rules. how is that for a runon, rambling sentence!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Any organization that goes against the UCI in its safety rulings (such as the wheel rupture test) is assuming a bit of risk"

i think it would be pretty easy to demonstrate in a court of law that the UCI doesn't have a good track record w/regard to safety. primary is the USCF's longstanding requirements on helmets, and the UCI's foot dragging in this regard (it STILL doesn't absolutely require them, just wait until the first guy rides over somebody's discarded helmet at the bottom of a climb).

as for the nose of the saddle rule, it's silly, and that has nothing whatsoever to do with safety. one has only to look at the loss runs of USA Triathlon versus USCF and you see the truth in the numbers. you don't see crashes in timed races, you do see them in mass start. the UCI's saddle nose rule was aimed at two englishmen who were fingernails screeching on verbruggen's chalkboard.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"but merely pointed out that it is the U.S., not Canada"

Having lived in both countries, an interesting sociological observation is that the USA tends to do things their own way rather than follow the rest of the world. Consequently the US has NASCAR or CART while the rest of the world has Formula One. The biggest sports in the US are domestic - football, baseball, basketball while the rest of the world is fanatical about soccer, which would be classified as a much more international game.

This also extends beyond sports but into politics and other aspects of every day life. I think Canada, although greatly influenced by the US tends to try to be more a part of the global family than does the US. In contrast the US is much more insular IMO.

Not saying this is a good or bad thing. Just an observation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great time for Andrew and Francois to jump in and bad mouth the U.S.A. , I know "i"m stupid becouse I don't agree with you"
As for the others on this Forum don't you get tired of the USA bashing?
Quote Reply
Re: Dan, do you have any advice for time trialists who must follow the UCI? [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just last night while watching the Giro they were talking about some NEW saddle that someone was using so they were thinking about redoing the seat/bottom bracket setback rule(sorry was not paying better attention)Plus i agree with Dan about the 2 englishmen,there is a write up in this months Bicycling about Obree,Andrew Coggan was quoted in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Dan, do you have any advice for time trialists who must follow the UCI? [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Great time for Andrew and Francois to jump in and bad mouth the U.S.A......don't you get tired of the USA bashing? "

Please don't interpret my post as such as that was not the intent. I was just being a neutral observer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you asking with respect to triathlons? If so, I think you'll find that the UCI-legal rules apply only to draft-legal racing. OAT (English), Triathlon Quebec (French) and Tri-NB (Bilingual) have only basic safety regulations governing the bike for races without drafting.

My $0.02 on the Canadian Cycling organizations adopting the UCI rules: We've always been focused on amateur sports, and the UCI rules will be in effect at the Olympics. I would guess that Cycling Canada did it to stay ahead of any Canadian Olympic Association/Sport Canada requirements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, everybody. I appreciate your opinions on whether the UCI is the antichrist or not. NOW. Can anybody give me some solid information wrt back position, forearm angle, knee extension, frontal area reduction, power optimization, hand placement, etc.

I know that John Cobb has basically said that aerodynamics is very individual, and pretty much requires a trip to the windtunnel to optimize. My original question was to Dan, and to reword it, Dan, given your years of experience in triathlon and positioning, what advice can you give someone who MUST follow the UCI. I ride a GURU crono road geometry with aero tubes, trispoke and ZIPP 900 Disk, Oval integrated bars. I would like to optimize this bike for time trials up to 42 km.

I appreciate your time.

Dave

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply