Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pyro Platforms??
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of getting a pair of Pyro Platforms for racing sprint tris. I don't think I would use them for Olympic or above, but the transition benefits in a sprint tri seem like they might outweigh time losses due to not using a traditional shoe and clipless pedal system. So, how well do these work? How secure is your running shoe on the platform? Do you lose any ability to pull up on the pedal? How about too much pressure across the top of the foot from the straps.

Thanks for any input.

sweet
Quote Reply
Re: Pyro Platforms?? [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the guys in my area loves his (I would expect him to post if he see this) and he blisters the transitions and he has good bike times. He thinks it is a no-brainer that they should be worn in short races. I can't really answer all of your questions. I have worn mine several times, but "feel" like I lose some on the bike-but don't really know. I may use them in a "double sprint" (swim, run, bike, bike, run, swim) we have coming up, but other than that race and several that have long runs in T1 (i.e. I often use an extra pair of shoes in these races to get from swim to transition area and the platforms eliminate the extra change) I do not use mine. I would say, however that they are worth a try for the right races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend them for any sprint duathlon. You can really blaze through the transitions. There is an issue of power transfer that is probably valid since the platforms do not fit as tight as shoes. Like anything there is a tradeoff, but you can still go pretty fast on the bike.

In a triathlon you might be better with cycling shoes depending on how long the bike leg is. There are a few participants who can transition just as fast without platforms. I don't know how they do it. I guess they practice transitions a lot.

They don't work with yankz because the gizmos that hold the laces in place get snagged. I put some clear packing tape underneath the top part of the structure that goes over the shoes to smooth out the toe box and minimize snags, and I also put body glide on the tops my shoes. You definitely need to experiment and practice with them prior to the race to learn what will work for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Pyro Platforms?? [Ed Reid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a couple pairs of Pyro's on e-bay right now in the Triathlon section.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the guys in my area loves his (I would expect him to post if he see this) and he blisters the transitions and he has good bike times. He thinks it is a no-brainer that they should be worn in short races.

Mantis is right. So is everyone else. I sold a pair to a really fast all american last year, he did not practice, his shoe popped out, the pyro flew off, he slammed on brakes to get it, and skidded a hole in his tire, thus blowing his tube and dnf. I passed him during this whole scene. Felt kinda bad, but mine were working just fine. I have found them to work just fine with Yankz. Did I mention practice? I have done 4 races this season with Pyro's and only in two transitions have I been beat by anyone. The guy that beat me in both instances got me by one to two seconds. Mantis is a really fast biker. His hesitation is just. I just think with um....practice, they are a sure fire way to get 30 sec to minutes on your comp.

shawn

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen them, but I don't know if I'd use them. I would tend to guess you probably have to watch your shoe size. If your running shoes fit a little big You could develope hot spots (or other cycling shoe symptoms.) If you already have a pair of cycling shoes I would recommend sticking with them and getting some stringless running shoes (i.e. Nike Kukini, Pearl Izumi's new shoe, ect...) Just my thoughts.

Gophers don't wear shoes.

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair, but rarely use them. About the only time that I would use them would be on a flat duathlon with 3 runs/2 bike legs.

I have outsplit people on a regular basis in transitions that use them when I didn't. It's not a matter of practicing transitions, because I don't. It is all in knowing what you have to do, doing it quick and minimizing what you do in the transition. In a sprint race, going from bike to run there isn't a lot that is needed. Feet should already be out of the bike shoes before you get off the bike. Run to your rack space, rack bike, slip on shoes (with elastic laces), grab your hat, number belt and go. No more than 5 - 10 seconds at the rack. You put your number belt and hat on while running.

last year I was going head to head against a guy that I believe was a better cyclist than I was, he would pull away a bit on the flats, but everytime we came to a hill I was able to go by him easily. He was using Pyro's. Maybe I was a better climber, but I really think that in a hilly race, the Pyro's are a distinct disadvantage.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Pyro Platforms?? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used them exclusively for the last two years, and only this spring have transitioned to Egg Beaters and Sidi T1s. W/ the Pyro's my goal was always to avg 20 MPH. The first long ride this spring w/ clipless, I did 21.2 through a very hilly area. I am anticipating a lot of Bike PR's this season now from finally converting.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." -Alan Cabelly
Quote Reply
Re: Pyro Platforms?? [Jim Harris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They've worked better than that for me. I've averaged over 23 with them, and can't do any better with my bike shoes. That's flat course though. I've not ridden them in hills. And I am much faster through transitions when I use them.
Quote Reply