Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scheduling workouts
Quote | Reply
I'm training for my first IM (CDA) and being quite analytical about my workout schedule am curious to hear how experienced IM athletes schedule thier workouts for maximum recovery. I'm primarily thinking about where to insert weight workouts to get max beneift and avoid injury. Let me preface my detailed question with the fact that my opinions might be warped by the fact that although I do have a degree in Exercise & Sport Science, most of my practical experience has been with strenth tranining athletes (Bodybuilders & powerlifters) as opposed to endurance athletes, thus I might be stuck in the wrong world with some of my opinions. I've also been out of the fitness game (at least professionally), for several years and would love some fresh info.

A lot of the Ironman type sample workouts that I've read, have full body weight training sessions 2-3 times/week. Many include a session on Monday and another on Wednesday. I'm somewhat troubled by this as I don't believe most people can be completely recovered from a weight workout in 48hours, in fact, peak soreness for most people occurs 48hours after a lifting session, this is why strength training athletes tend to break their body parts up into different days. It just seems to me that the second weight training workout in this type of schedule has the potential to cause more harm than good, especially since there are three other forms of exercise going on that target the same groups. Of course, on the other hand, an Ironman distance event is an exercise in lunacy itself and maybe stacking weight workouts this close together is helpful to get the body used to the type of abuse that it will take.

Any thoughts or advice from you IM vetrans as to how you work everything into a week for most benefit. After always seeing athletes do too much and at the wrong times, I am always extra cautious regarding overtraining and overuse injury.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Barry
Quote Reply
Re: Scheduling workouts [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. I'm game to give this a shot. Let's see... First, I will say that staying with a weight regimen year round has helped me far more than I thought it would. I used to drop it about May, but not anymore. That said, I think you realize this already so I'll stop rambling.

I do my weight sessions in the evening on Weds. and Saturdays - twice a week, never more. My weight sessions are largely focused on the upper body, though I do do leg stuff as well, but I keep it "lighter" as it's really just to supplement the riding and running. Also, my weight workouts are always followed by 48 hours before I swim again. That is, I swim Tuesday night, lift Wed night, swim Friday, lift Saturday. So, it all works out to be what is about the best compromise that I can figure out how to reach. I always cut weights out completely 10 days outside of an A or B level race as well.

I don't know how that gibes with all the science, but I do know it works for me, and I've not had any noticeable problems with recovery or fatigue from weights to activity or vice-versa.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have struggled with this challenge as well. Here's my current plan:

Mon: Swim, then lift (morning)(directly after the swim because I am at the gym already)

Tues: Bike (morning), Run (evening)

Weds: sleep in (yes!), Swim (evening)

Thurs: Bike (morning), Run (evening)

Fri: Swim, then lift (morning)(directly after the swim because I am at the gym already)

Sat: Long run

Sun: Long ride

Generally works pretty well. If work gets in the way, I end up doing bricks in the morning or evening.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry - the way I like to space the weight workouts out would be a Tues/Fri or Wed/Sat like another poster replied. I think the key benefit for the weights are the strength gains. I tend focus more on lower body - I don't think you need to be doing too much upper body weights for IM - once you get to the heavy lifting phase you could even alternate one day each week ifs low reps heavy weight, and the other would be just straight high reps, low weight. This is something that has worked for me and I have tried just about everything when it comes to finding the right combo of when to lift and get other workouts in as well. I used to lift directly after swimming as well but I found when I went to the gym and lifted before doing any other sports I was MUCH stronger. In the base season, the strength gains are important so I try to isolate those workouts and make them count. Those gains will last you all year. My $0.02

Mike Ricci

www.d3multisport.com

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Re: thanks [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THanks for your thoughts guys, I appreciate it.
Quote Reply