Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help an IM rookie out
Quote | Reply
Calling any IM veterans ... I've got my first IM coming up in September (IM Wisconsin). I'm trying to decide between two half IM races earlier in the summer. One half IM is at the end of June, the other is at the end of July.

I'd really like to do one or the other as a tuneup/practice race. Any thoughts on which would be better timing for me? The July race would leave me about 5 weeks before IM Moo. I'm not sure that's ideal. Both half IMs are probably going to fill up fast, so I probably need to make up my mind fairly soon.

thanks,
Big EE
Quote Reply
Re: Help an IM rookie out [Big EE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the same thing. Going with Dairyland at the end of July. Should be great for getting a feel for the hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your June race sounds like a great choice, gives you 10 weeks or so before MOO. It would be a great opportunity to evaluate pace and nutrition issues with time to correct them before the A race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do both. The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help an IM rookie out [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey scotta. the geography/topography of dairyland and MOO are completely different. you will get zero feel for MOO at dairyland, i'm afraid. at least, the middle 80 mi of MOO is in an entirely different geographic locale as racine county. just a little heads up to ya.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first IM was last September. I did an early June 1/2 without any pressure on myself. I did another 1/2 four weeks from the IM. That was at the end of a light week and was about the training distance planned for that weekend. The next week was the longest week on my schedule, six hour bike on Saturday and three hour run on Sunday. The taper period followed, and the IM was not as bad as I had feared. I think both races helped my confidence. My big hurdle was believing in the training, but that has been the hurdle with every distance increase. Now I know if I train appropriately I'm as ready as I can be. Everybody has a bad race. That is mentally hard when it is the first race at a new distance. I will do one or possibly two this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Help an IM rookie out [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Tom on this. I would definitely do both but probably train right through the first one and use it a speedwork and then do a light taper and crank the second one hard to give me confidence for September 7.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big EE - my thoughts:

Taper and race the first one hard - get the kinks out so to speak - if you screw something up you have some time to get it right for the next Half IM. If you taper for the 2nd Half IM and have a bad race there will be doubts about you training only 5 weeks from your IM - doubts are not a good thing. Secondly - 5 weeks out is too close to the real A race to taper, recover and race again. Not enough time and essentially you will be tapering for 6 weeks before the IM and that is too much, even for a beginner triathlete. One way you could approach the 2nd Half IM would be to work your weakness real hard in that race. For example, say you swim well, and bike well for the 1st Half IM, but your run is less then what you wanted. Well, I would work hard on my run in between the races, and at the the 2nd Half IM, go out there and swim hard, bike @ 80% and run as hard as you can. This will not beat you up as much as racing all out and you can still train for another week (possibly focusing on the bike) and then start your TRUE taper 3 weeks out from IMWI. I hope this helps.

Mike Ricci

www.d3multisport.com

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Last edited by: Mike Ricci: Jan 9, 03 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: Help an IM rookie out [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike. So if I'm understanding you right, you are recommending I do both half IM races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes sir. First one as an A race and the 2nd as a B race focusing on your limiter from the first race.

Mike

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply