Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainer dedicated bikes...
Quote | Reply
For those with a bike dedicated strictly for the indoor trainer...how shitty is your torture device? Trying to find a bike to use only for the trainer, but I keep getting distracted with, "oh, well that's nice and a good deal..."

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer dedicated bikes... [JerseyQuaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mine is really shitty. the headtube is cracked. i consider it dangerous to ride on bumpy pavement. the gruppo is some severely beaten up 9sp ultegra from 2003.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mine is my race bike but I aspire to the shittiness of graham obree's - skip to 3.30 of this clip and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3DwhbUGUIg

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Last edited by: luckyleese: Mar 20, 10 23:49
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer dedicated bikes... [luckyleese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
mine is my race bike but I aspire to the shittiness of graham obree's - skip to 3.30 of this clip and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3DwhbUGUIg

Wow! LOL! Nice.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call mine shitty. It is quite old, and at this point, it's a bit away from being sea (er, road) worthy.
It's a trek road bike I bought in 94, and it'd need some work before I rode it outside again. But it's fine for the trainer. Really, it just doesn't steer that well.

It does have good wheels on it, which feels like a waste.

-Charles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My old Softride with busted beam. There will be NO sitting during this session!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd suggest a used (look for gyms closing down or replacing old stock) or refurbished spin bike. stable platform, low maintainence, adjustability ...
bikes work fine on trainers but that's not what they're meant for, get the right tool for the job.
good luck

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For those with a bike dedicated strictly for the indoor trainer...how shitty is your torture device? Trying to find a bike to use only for the trainer, but I keep getting distracted with, "oh, well that's nice and a good deal..."

why get a new bike just for the trainer? just by the cheapest wheel possible and switch it from your bike whenever you want to use the trainer, it takes about 8 seconds
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer dedicated bikes... [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

why get a new bike just for the trainer? just by the cheapest wheel possible and switch it from your bike whenever you want to use the trainer, it takes about 8 seconds

X2. I picked up a Shimano wheel on here for about $60 and I switch between my road and tri bike for the trainer.

------------------------------------------------------------
I have failed at many things, but never in my desire to try again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My trainer bike is made up of old parts from my other builds and a 2001 Giant TCR Zero Aluminum frame that I had. The only reason that it has a front brake is that I do ride it on the road and down to the store to pick up some items when needed.

Oh and of course light but not on purpose.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a trainer bike only that's cool to each his own, but it's completely unnecessary. A CycleOps puts no stress on the rear drop outs.....all the force goes into the quick release. All my rides are indoors except for the weekends. Buy yourself a chain whip, lock ring nut and a cheap ass wheel with a bomber trainer tire. Will cost peanuts compared to a trainer bike. You could even buy a beater cassette so you don't have to swap, but I don't like to mix and match chains and cassettes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use either of my bikes, i just use a garbage tire because trainers tear them apart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an old old bike. Was my first old used road bike I bought man years ago. If you have money to burn, what kind of trainer are you using would be my first question.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer dedicated bikes... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just an old old bike. Was my first old used road bike I bought man years ago. If you have money to burn, what kind of trainer are you using would be my first question.

What does the type of trainer I'm on have to do with the type of bike?

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many old Frankenbikes will work. Fit and drive-train are of main importance. I use a Softride, ergo stem and adjustable length cranks because they give me infinite fit adjustments to try new positions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had a choice of improving my trainer experience, I would make sure I have a CT first, which gives lots of choices to make it less boring.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer dedicated bikes... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, yes, I have that covered.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is 100% trainer only, would be kinda unsafe on road I think. Frame is my wifes mid-80's schwinn letour steel, now quite rusty from sweat. Wheels and components same vintage, 6 speed suntour drivetrain. The only changes I made, bought an old heavy looonngggg seat post that I flipped around and sticks out at least 1ft from frame to fit me. I put an old very long quill stem that I had floating around and my original clip-on aero-bars. With the post & stem adjusted I can fit my 5'11" body on my wifes small bike. Total cost was ~$12 for seat post, ~$69 I paid orignally for those clip-on bars and $29 for cheapest cadence + rear wheel speedo I could find.

Also, never have a problem with tire wear, has some ~20 yr old gumwall tires (conti) that I put on when I bought the bike used for my wife in 1990.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer dedicated bikes... [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, sorry for bumping a 7 year old thread.

However, ever since I saw this thread back in the day I wanted to put together this exact kind of trainer bike (1x, tt shifter in the bullhorns). I finally got it together, and it's pretty sweet - simple, easy adjust, I can sit up or stretch out, and I keep my main bike ride-ready. Thanks for the inspiration, BMANX!

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer dedicated bikes... [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought my 1st tri bike used. Once I new I was gonna a take the sport a bit more serious I splurged on a new bike and dedicated the used one to the trainer. I love it. My race bike stays pretty and clean on my wall . Tires , drive train stay fresh. My trainer gets used and abused but never gets dirty :) . The bikes are different brands but I was able to get the fit almost exactly alike which is a nice bonus.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer dedicated bikes... [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goregrind wrote:
In Reply To:

Thats exactly what I do. Crappy wheel was 70 bucks. a trainer tire is 20. And I get to try and tune my race bike fit all winter.
Quote Reply