Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dyslexia Post Ironman? Anyone experienced this?
Quote | Reply
I did IM Wisconsin a few years ago. It was a cold rainy day so I think my body was suffering from a bit of hypothermia.
My question is this...
When I got done with the race I had one full month of dyslexia. I would start to type an email and every letter in every word was completely reversed. I thought I was perhaps just due to total body exhaustion; and that everyone most likely went through something of the sort. But, as I've been talking with many other IM competitors, no one I've talked to has experienced anything like it. What happened? How is this possible?
I dis-guarded what had happened to my brain for a couple of years until this last fall, I went back up to watch IM Wisconsin and the entire race course was reversed to me. I started asking a couple of people if they changed the course, not realizing that my brain still had some form of dyslexia from that day. The race course as I found out, was exactly the same direction as it was the day I raced.
A friend of mine and I were talking. He made a comment, perhaps I had a slight brain bleed or something that day.
Just curious if anyone has ever experienced this??
Looking for ideas, thoughts....
Help me understand what happened that day....?
Thanks,
Cindy

Hands On Sports Massage Vision; to contribute to the experience and share in the joy of an athlete as they achieve their God given ability.
Quote Reply
Re: Dyslexia Post Ironman? Anyone experienced this? [CindyMcGuire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dnot nkwo whta yoru latking bauto. Dsuons zyrac.
Quote Reply
Re: Dyslexia Post Ironman? Anyone experienced this? [CindyMcGuire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live with Dyslexia. High stress or fatigue make it worse. Perhaps you have always been Dyslexic and the symptoms just showed up in a more dramatic way.
Mitch
Quote Reply
Re: Dyslexia Post Ironman? Anyone experienced this? [Fr.Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a sports massage therapist...I've heard dyslexia is common in my field, but I've spoken with my family to see if they could every remember any signs....nothing is coming up.

Hands On Sports Massage Vision; to contribute to the experience and share in the joy of an athlete as they achieve their God given ability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm a sports massage therapist...I've heard dyslexia is common in my field, but I've spoken with my family to see if they could every remember any signs....nothing is coming up.

An acquaintance of mine had a strange episode some time ago. Her husband took her to the ER because she seemed to be speaking in tongues. You could talk to her, and she would comprehend and answer adequately, as long as the questions had "yes" or "no" answers. But as soon as she tried to articulate more complex answers or even just words with more than one syllable, all that came out was unintelligible babble. Turned out she was experiencing an unusual form of epileptic seizure. Apparently these can manifest themselves in many different ways, depending on which region of the nervous system is affected. I'm not a physician though and have no idea if that would be a possible explanation in your case.

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No dyslexia but at the second loop of the '07 IMlouisville run course I bent over to stretch my hamstrings and saw the image of Jesus' face in the aggregate, just like those crazy people who see Jesus in a pizza. I'm serious, too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny you mention this. For the longest time after IMFL '08, I couldn't type for shit. It is still kind of an issue today, but I never would've thought it was stress induced.

I'm gonna research it and see what I can find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very intriguing (that's not meant to sound mean).

The mild seizure issue sounds plausible. Let us know what you come up with.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CindyMcGuire wrote:
I did IM Wisconsin a few years ago. It was a cold rainy day so I think my body was suffering from a bit of hypothermia.
My question is this...
When I got done with the race I had one full month of dyslexia. I would start to type an email and every letter in every word was completely reversed. I thought I was perhaps just due to total body exhaustion; and that everyone most likely went through something of the sort. But, as I've been talking with many other IM competitors, no one I've talked to has experienced anything like it. What happened? How is this possible?
I dis-guarded what had happened to my brain for a couple of years until this last fall, I went back up to watch IM Wisconsin and the entire race course was reversed to me. I started asking a couple of people if they changed the course, not realizing that my brain still had some form of dyslexia from that day. The race course as I found out, was exactly the same direction as it was the day I raced.
A friend of mine and I were talking. He made a comment, perhaps I had a slight brain bleed or something that day.
Just curious if anyone has ever experienced this??
Looking for ideas, thoughts....
Help me understand what happened that day....?
Thanks,
Cindy

I have a common problem... I'm going to work here http://teachmeread.com/ so please, tell me if you find a decision of our problem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lucky you! As a life long severe dyslexic I get all the benefits and advantages of dyslexia all the time! That being said, it sounds more like you had some sort of situational event - minor seizure or other possibilities that have already been mentioned.

Oh, and Cindy is my favorite name in the whole world - same as my bride!

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just curious -- did the course have any mirrored loops? in other words cycling in one direction, running in another?
Quote Reply
Re: Dyslexia Post Ironman? Anyone experienced this? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Lucky you! As a life long severe dyslexic I get all the benefits and advantages of dyslexia all the time!

Me too [plus I've had seven concussions]

It makes playing Scrabble really easy, as I can see the mixed up words just fine

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Dyslexia Post Ironman? Anyone experienced this? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a seven year old thread.
One hopes there was a medical intervention in the meantime.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dyslexia Post Ironman? Anyone experienced this? [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
This is a seven year old thread.
One hopes there was a medical intervention in the meantime.

wow -- the dyslexia bots got on the case.

so interesting though, Oliver Sacks territory, and hopefully a one-time incident for the OP
Quote Reply
Re: Dyslexia Post Ironman? Anyone experienced this? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope they didn't get their m-dot tattoo backwards.....what a nightmare that would be
Quote Reply
Re: Dyslexia Post Ironman? Anyone experienced this? [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, you mean getting a dot-m?

Not as bad as the guido who got an Italian flag tattoo'd sideways and became Hungarian

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CindyMcGuire wrote:
I'm a sports massage therapist...I've heard dyslexia is common in my field

Ummmm... what?
Quote Reply
Re: Dyslexia Post Ironman? Anyone experienced this? [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol
perhaps meaning they never did well in school, reading is hard, so gravitate towards a field that is 'hands on'.
for the blind, massage and piano tuning are two big vocational directions.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply