Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Someone Recommend a Saddle!
Quote | Reply
Folks,

I need some advice on what saddle to try next. I ride a Cervelo P2k in a moderately aggressive position (78 degree seat angle and 6 inch drop from saddle to aero pads). Last season I rode a Terry Liberator (large, heavy, ugly cutout saddle) and had chafing (wide nose) and hamstring (wider rear) pain. This season I've tried the Terry Liberator titanium race (more chafing), the San Marco Azoto (too much pressure directly on the penis), Terry Fly (best yet but some numbness), plain titanium flight and flight gel with QR flightie cover (numbness, pain), ASPide (numbness), and the Selle Italia XO (numbness, pain). I can only stand to ride non-cutout saddles by tilting the nose way down. This causes me to slide onto the nose (more pain) and also causes upper back cramps due to the fact that I'm holding my weight 'back' on the saddle. I'm thinking of trying a 'Koobi' - any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron
Quote Reply
Re: Someone Recommend a Saddle! [DabossAJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tried all those until I found the SBC Body Geometry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read a tip about setting up the Selle San Marco Azoto Gel in Dan's article that made sense and seems to me could be applied to any saddle. He recommended that instead of setting the saddle level by placing the level across the nose and back of the saddle (and having a valley in the middle) set the nose of the saddle level. The back will slope up, but this won't matter when you're in the aero bars. The part that you're sitting on will be level instead of sloping up. I tried this on my Terry Ti Fly and this did a lot for eliminating numbness. This makes riding sitting up in the hoods less comfortable, but not too bad. I wouldn't recommend dropping the nose beyond the point where it's level to the ground, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is the answer to your prayers

http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked the Specialized Body Geometry saddle OK for a mountainbike, and never liked cut-out saddles at all UNTIL I tried a Selle Flite Trans-Am Gel. It has a cutout that eliminated any problems while I was on a trainer this past winter...and it does well out on the road for me, too. I previously rode Selle Flite Gel...I like the Flite shape because it is slightly wider than most seats in the middle, but slightly narrower in the rear.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too like the Specialized Body Geometry saddle for my Mountain bike, but after trying a number of saddles I really like the Koobi Tri for my P2K.

BTW, that Sheldon Brown page is hilarious, I couldn't wait to share it with my Adventure Racing buddies as a suggested training aid!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aaron,

IMHO, I do not believe that the saddle makes THAT much difference. If you have had problems w/ that many saddles I would then say it is positioning and sitting "technique." Let's just say I have done a lot of Tris for many, many years, and have been riding in aero position since the 80's.

Here is how I set up my saddle, based on a little help I got from Tinley 15 years or so ago when this aero thing 1st started: 1st, make sure you have a decent overall position and your seat is the right height - you are then 90% of the way to comfort. I ride a regular old Flite, and have since they 1st came out. Take a level and measure from the nose about 5 inches back - this is the part if the saddle that you want level. Now, skew the saddle about .5 cm or 1/2 the width of the nose to the side away from your "hang." Now, when riding in the aero position, your "taint" lays to the side of the saddle instead of right on it. Rotate your hips a little forward and make sure your arms aren't too far stretched out.

This has worked for me and I hope it helps you.

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply