Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hydrating on the run
Quote | Reply
Anybody use something besides the fuelbelt/lavabelt while running? The fuelbelt seems pricey to me considering how much it carries and the somewhat simple construction. I actually have a lavabelt which carries two water flasks and two gel flasks (which are, by the way, practically useless for their intended purpose--it's too hard to squeeze all the gel out) but this lasts me an hour at the most. I was looking for something to last for 2-3 hours. I've tried camlebaks before but they jumped up and down while I ran. But this was an old design--i.e. no chest and waist strap. Anybody with experience using the newer ones?

Kim
Quote Reply
Re: hydrating on the run [dockimpoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Fuelbelt and it works really well. Yes, it is expensive for such a simple design, but it works great. It carries enough water for maybe 1.5 hours.

I wouldn't want to carry much more water then this. It would be pretty heavy. i suggest you break down and make a pit stop for refueling. Camelbaks would be awfully hot and would interfere with running form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to ride the run route with my car pre run and set out water bottles, the dis advantage was that sometimes they would disappear, and occasionally they would be tampered with. I used the store bought water bottles. Another major consideration is that I would not always retrieve the discarded bottles, and litter.

These were pre fuel belt days, and now I have a couple of belts and would not go back to the water bottles. I carry both water and energy mix (sustained energy/ hammer gel in my case) on longer runs and in addition I have my salt (endurolytes and other e caps) in the pouch.

The fuel belt idea is simple, yet very effective, and as summer comes along I would not want to fir the roads/ trails without it.

Just my .02

Henk

Alex Jonker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Camelbak Flashflo. You wear it in the small of your back, so it's part of your center of gravity and doesn't affect your form. It is a little heavy when full (45 oz), but you can tighten the straps with just a tug as you drink from it so it doesn't bounce. It also has a zipper pocket for carrying gel, food, keys, etc.

Reach for what you cannot.

-Percy Cerruty
Quote Reply
Re: hydrating on the run [TexRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a single water bottle holder waist belt. The bottle sits in the center of your back. Doesn't bounce, chafe, and will hold 2 gu's per side. Got it at a camping store for about $9. A Stansport quencher I believe is the name.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the fuelbelt is one of the best investments I've made. I have the 6-bottle version so it's handy for both short (2 bottles) or long (6 bottles) runs. The thing I really like about it is it doesn't make me sick to my stomach after the first 10-12 miles of running (from having a constricting band around my waist, like the single water bottle holders). It's very comfortable and tends not to shake as much with each step like some of the others.
Just my two cents.

TriDi
Quote Reply
Re: hydrating on the run [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got basically the same thing made by Ultimate. It doesn't hold a ton, but you can always stop to refuel. I don't do this and essentially end up finishing up all of my long runs with a serious bonk. Maybe not the best training approach, but I don't want to run with a full utility belt either. They make me feel like some lost member of the Village People.
Quote Reply
water the gel down [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trick to the gel flasks is to water the gel down a bit then they work fine. As an added bonus the gel is easier to take down too as it's thinner. I love my lavabelt, same one you have with two fluid bottles in front and two gels in the rear. I fill the front two and one rear with fluid and then one back flask with gel/water. If not check out the ultimate lightning, bounce free and hold 24oz plus a removable gel flask holder. not as light as a lavabelt but not bad either
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
me thinks desert dude has the answer with a single water bottle strapped close to the hips / back.

the new T series at www.fuelbelt.com look great

think i'm gonna get the T1 at US$ 21.95 - that's not too expensive. everyone's got to make a buck...
Quote Reply