Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim coaching Q?
Quote | Reply
Hello there!

I am a self-taught swimmer (through some TI reading and video's) and have been since I began triathlon in 1999. Now, I am starting to actually get serious about improving my swim splits and realize that my technique is, well, terrible. I'm hoping to get a coach to look at my stroke in the near future, but had a few questions. First, is there a "license" for USMS coaches (like USAT)? I know there are "certified" instructors at my gym, but I am hesitating to use them because I'm unsure about their qualifications and don't want to waste my hard earned $$$ (that could be better spent on new wheels or race fees). I've often read that it is best to attend a Masters practice and discuss stroke technique with the coach their, but I would like a little more personalized attention and focus.

So, any and all thoughts on finding a decent swim coach in my area are appreciated.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim coaching Q? [trimanjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jay,

Having learned the same way you did. I recommend searching through the various Masters programs in your area until you find one that meets your needs. Programs, from my experience, vary wildly in terms of "instruction", but almost always they will make you faster, if for no other reason than getting some yards under your belt. The other obvious solution is to attend a TI-type clinic.

eric

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are certifications

Swim coaches are certified through the american swim coaches association (ASCA) you can be certified for age group swimmign or for masters swimming.

Of course, neither of those things guarantees a good experience. It can take some digging. As mentioned, masters programs vary from no technique instruction at all (most I've seen) to some technique instruction.

Look for a weekend stroke camp for adults, that will probably get you the best results. Total Immersion is probably the largest organization that does this but there are others. The key is that they are made for adults looking to refine technique.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim coaching Q? [tricam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or, find a Masters program and coach you like and then if you want more one-on-one, ask the coach if he/she would work with you separately for some extra coaching.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just found a swim coach myself. I found mine through emailing some people off the Masters website for my region (New England). I also joined the Masters group that the coach ran and it was one of the best training decisions I've ever made. I'm swimming faster with less effort. I'm sure the time savings during my swim will far outweigh any time savings I've made by purchasing Hed 3's and at a fraction of the cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First USMS does not have certified coaches.

US Swimming does. US Swimming is competitive swimming program that is the ultimate feeder to the olympics. If you can find a good US Simming coach and tag on to their program (maybe you can swim with some of there slower age groupers)

Obviously it is better and rather easy to improve simply by finding a USMS program (group workout) but the quality of the coaching there can be variable.

I was fortunate that when I started out I stumbled into a "real" swimming coach. He was the former head coach for the US olympic womens swim team in 1956 and had a USMS program that could developed swimmers from "drowners" to competitive level masters swimmers.

He developed me from a "drowner" to 21 minute olympic distance split. That coach watched every stroke every swimmer made during the entire 1 1/2 hour practice, every practice.

Unfortunatly he retired and our current masters "coaches" more or less just tell you what the workout is. There is no "development" and it ends up just being rented lane space.

A group is much more motivating in fact it has been scientifically prove as such.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim coaching Q? [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" First USMS does not have certified coaches. "

They don't, but you can be certified as a masters coach by ASCA. They even have a lonely website that doesn't get updated.

www.macacoach.org

USA Swimming certifies coaches and so does asca, asca is the professional organization. In some cases they are the same certification. None of this is entirely relevant to the fellow trying to find a good coach though.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim coaching Q? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a former asca cert'd coach I'd say go to a masters program or age group program. Once you find a coach you like, ask if they would do 1 on 1 technique work. Most coaches love to teach people to swim better.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply