Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITB -- racing vs. training
Quote | Reply
Howdy. I had some sharp, bi-lateral ITB pain towards the end of the Gulf Coast bike, and throughout the run. I also had major ITB pain, again bilateral, starting at mile 17 of the Miami Marathon in Feb. But here's the thing, I've never had any pain during training. Long runs, bricks, high intensity, no problem. Shorter races, no problem. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: ITB -- racing vs. training [Ironstevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not the expert (just another ITBS sufferer), but IMHO the following is a non-exhaustive list of some of the causes of ITBS:

(1) Change in stride

(2) Change in shoes/support

(3) Change in running surface

(4) Change in speed/intensity

All of which tend to be present during races. Do you race in racing flats? I tend to subconsciously mimic the form of stronger athletes, which tend to be present in large numbers in races. Do you? The GCT is so flat, maybe you train with more elevation changes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine started up during a Oly tri for the first time ever, then re-surfaced a couple months later while training conservatively for a half marathon. Now it's been a full blown issue for about six months.

No doubt that during the race I was pushing a lot harder than I do when training. However I trained for both races on the same roads / trails / paths. I think some people may just be be pre-disposed to this injury and have to figure out how to deal with it. As keyster says you definitely need to look at what, if anything you did differently during the race vs. training. I THINK some other other contributing factors may be:

1)Saddle height being too high.

2)Cleat position not in line with your natural gait.

I adjusted these two items and it seemed to alleviate the problem somewhat. You really have to take a good look at everything, and make small changes here and there if you see fit. Beyond stretching, ice, etc. you will not find any definitive answers for this injury. If you do please let me know. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Where abouts is this pain you feel? Is it knee pain, hip pain or somewhere in between, or everywhere in between? ITB can manifest itself in any area along the ITB, but usually is felt in the knee (outside (lateral) the kneecap). If you don't feel this pain in training, but it shows up in a race, are you doing anything different, like wearing different shoes or riding a different bike, in training versus racing? Intensity can bring on symptoms more quickly, but if you are training for a marathon, I would think you ran long and hard enough to bring the symptoms on in training. My best advice is to seek help from a professional who has a sports medicine background (anyone you trust, an ortho dr., a PT, a chiro, an ATC, doesn't matter, just so long as they know their stuff) Someone who has the knowlege of the symptoms and how to test things like flexibility and strength and interpret the information. You may create more problems by changing something randomly and "seeing if it works." I've seen this before (done it too) and before you know it, you can't even remember where you started from, it becomes a charliefoxtrot (ask someone in the army what that means if you don't already know). I make my living as a physical therapist, and the more I learn, the more I realize there is out there to learn. You may be surprised to find it has very little to do with the ITB, you don't really know until you get it checked out. Good Luck...hope this helps a little.

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Re: ITB -- racing vs. training [joelface] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a definitive answer for many ITBS cases. It involves your Tensor Fascia Latae muscle (TFL), and occasionally your Gluteus.

The TFL is a small muscle that is located between your hipbone (pelvis) and the top of your thighbone (femur). This muscle merges into the ITB, which then goes down the lateral side of the thigh and inserts into the knee joint. But the fibers of the ITB are just strong, slightly stretchable, fibers. The real source of the pain is a spasm in the TFL. A second piece to the problem is because the ITB travels over the lateral borders of the quadriceps and the hamstrings. When the ITB is pulled tight by the TFL, it causes both the quads and the hamstrings to contract under its fibers.
Here is a good treatment: lie on the floor, on your side. Place a tennis ball directly under the TFL and roll your bodyweight onto the ball. You will feel the spasm, and it may really hurt so regulate the pressure you are using. It should always "hurt so good", anything more is too much and is causing a problem.

Next, keep rotating your body around so you find all the spasms in the hip area. You'll know exactly when you are on one. You'll feel it. You need to stay on the spasm for 60 seconds or it will come back as soon as you stop pressing on it.

Finally, take an 18" length of dowel (closet pole) or a rolling pin (don't let it roll, hold it steady) and from a sitting position, place the dowel at the very top of your leg. You need to put it where your leg meets your trunk. Then push it down toward your knee. Don't go over your knee joint or kneecap. Cover your entire quad this way - lateral, middle and inner thigh.

While it will hurt, you should always feel like you are doing something good for your thigh/hip/knee. You'll know if you are right.

This problem is easy to fix and works great. Do it frequently – You need to keep the lactic acid flushed out of the muscles on a regular basis.

There is an excellent sports injury website with a forum that has several posts about this injury. It’s mediated by the Author of “The Pain-Free Triathlete” (Julie Donnelly).

http://www.julstro.com

Quote Reply