Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any stamp collectors out there?
Quote | Reply
I have a stamp collection that is over 50 yrs old that used to belong to a relative. Has over 2000 stamps of the world, some of them dating back to the 19th century.

I've been on a few internet sites and have been trying to evaluate the stamps. This is obviously a very slow process with so many stamps.

To give an example I have a George Washington stamp from the turn of the century. Apparently about two million were made and it's only worth a few dollars. However, there was a run of them that was slightly different, only a bit of minor shading, only 40 known in existance, and has a market value or $18,000. I can't tell which one I've got but by averages, it's most likely the three dollar baby.

Just wondering - where would I get a stamp album evaluated? How much would they charge? Can they be trusted to leave it with them?
Quote Reply
Re: Any stamp collectors out there? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found myself in a simular situation. We have been given literally a trash bag full of stamps that are not organized in any way and I have no idea what the majority of them are worth. I have found a few websites that list what their dealers are selling them. The most valuable I have found so far is an Einstein stamp worth 36 bucks.

I've found a few listed on this site www.kenmorestamps.com[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Any stamp collectors out there? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This should get you started:

http://members.rogers.com/shadock/torstamp.htm

As to your question about leaving the stamps for appraisal, it's kind of like when you leave your car at the garage for an oil change. You have to trust them before you do it, right? So maybe visit few appraisers, see who you like.
Quote Reply