Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oakley Sport watch vs. Timex Ironman.
Quote | Reply
Our former Pearl Izumi rep Scott Parr is our new Timex rep. Scott does a fantastic job as a rep and this gives us what appears to be a great opportunity to carry all the Timex sport watches, not just the GPS TDS one. We already sell the Oakly sport watches, which I use and really like for training and racing. Any opinions on Oakley vs. Timex?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Sport watch vs. Timex Ironman. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't personally own the Oakley (I do own a Timex which I quite like) but here are two observations that might help:

1. The Oakley watches look cool as hell. Each and every one. What this means, I dunno.

2. Of all my fellow triathletes I regulary train with, there is a 95% chance that they are wearing one of these two brands. Within that split, probably 75/25 in favor of Timex.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realy like the combo Timex Ironman / HR monitor for training and the Oakleys don't do anything for me

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the big Oakley watch (D1 I think?). I love it. Not for its looks (it's rather big on my skinny little wrist), but for the elegantly simple operation.

One big button on the face to start the watch and mark splits. The big number (and I mean BIG number) on the display shows you your current split time. I don't understand watches that have the main display be your total elapsed time, with maybe the current split as a little number at the top or bottom -- or not shown at all. When you hit the split button, you want to be watching this split, not the cumulative total of all prior splits. The Oakley executes on this perfectly, with the total time as the smaller secondary display. I use it swimming, too. The display is so big you can glance at it under water at the walls.

Many Timex models have two buttons on the face (under the same rubber cap no less), and I fumble for the right one for splits.

The Oakley is quite overpriced though (like everything from Oakley).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah im a big timex fan, im on like my 5th timex in that many years. The I control that came out 2 yrs ago or so, really sucked, it was horrible (a good idea, but they didnt pull it off). And as another forumer said, i dont own an oakley watch but i think they look cool. I just cant afford one, or better i cant see why its so much better than my trusty Timex that i should cough up the extra dough, because it looks cool.

But one watch that looks really cool, we havent mentioned is the Nike Triax Speed watch, not the watch that shows distance and stuff, the one thats super super thin. I want one of those.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Timex Ironman is very programable, you can make the split time the BIG number and the total time the small one(i agree with the Oakley poster, that's key). I like it alot and don't worry about loss or breakage because it doesn't cost much. I think it hits a different niche than the Oakley.

And yes the I control model did suck because the control ring on the face breaks leaving you NO control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2cents

I really like the timex watches... especially for the price point... considering how much everything else having to do with this sport costs so much there is something poetic about getting a aesthetic, well functioning, essential piece of equipment for 20 - 40 dollars.

The Oakley watches are nice but don't apeal to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Sport watch vs. Timex Ironman. [east coast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey East Coast:

Any idea how to re-program the timex so that the current split shows up as the larger display? I don't know that I can find the tiny but somehow large manual that came with the damn thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...T

"The mind can calculate, but the spirit yearns, and the heart knows what the heart knows."
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley Sport watch vs. Timex Ironman. [east coast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Southern Tim on the programming!! Help me out here!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, one other thing about the Timex watches. They're obviously great watches, especially at the price. But you're a retailer, so I'll give my 2 cents of retailing advice.

There are too many dang models! Most stores stock the whole product line and fill up a case with dozens upon dozens of Timex watches. Frankly, it "cheapens" the whole line. I went to buy a watch at a local store here and my eyes glazed over at the Timex display. Four feet of glass display cabinet of watches on three shelves. Over in the Nike and Oakley display, there were three or four models and the customer (me) got a better impression of quality and "rareity."

I'd suggest that you be a good buyer, pick the best few models and display them properly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Timex Ironman (about my 5th IM watch)Data Link that my my got me several years ago because I can't remember phone numbers. I love it (not only because my bride gave it to me:-))

My complaint would be that the number s are a little on the small side, although I have had no problem reading.

I love that I can program it on the computer and link it to the watch - this is done kinda like a bar code to the watch ie no wire connection. I have it programmed with phone numbers, wife's birthday (alarm the day before), etc.

She got it for nme on sale at WalMart for, I think, $45.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Bummer - no can do...... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, here it is from the horse's mouth - can't switch the lap and the split locations on the Ironman 100's:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey:

Is there a way to change the display on the chronograph on the
Ironman 100 lap watch?

I'd prefer to have the lap show on the bottom as the larger number
and the split show on the top as the smaller number. Any chance of
doing this?

Thanks...Tim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately there is no way to currently adjust that feature. I will forward your comments to the designers so they will know what people are looking for.

Please include all previous messages with any response.

Timex Customer Service.sb
Samantha

"The mind can calculate, but the spirit yearns, and the heart knows what the heart knows."
Quote Reply
different price points.. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oakley watches are $150 and on up into the stratosphere, Timex is $20 to $40. I can't afford Oakley, so I have Timex. Actually even if I could afford Oakley, I wouldn't buy one: the functionality is available for much less, and it would offend my Scots soul..

The I-control Timex I currently use is horrible, but the others have been OK. Next one will be a women's Rush model, my wife has one and I like its looks, also it fits under my wetsuit sleeves easily.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never used the Oakley watch but am a die-hard fan of the Timex watches. They are so cheap (I've never priced the Oakleys but I'll assume they are way more expensive than the Timex) that you don't get overly concerned with the scratches and abuse that they take in the tri-world. I crashed a number of years ago and my arm slammed into the ground as I somersaulted over the handlebars. I had a nice round cut on my wrist the same shape as the watch and the watch face was crushed (it didn't "keep on ticking") and the good news is, it only cost $36 to replace.... if it had been an Oakley or Nike watch I probably would have been really pissed. I also have one of the heart monitor/watch combos that works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had both, and am currently using the Oakley, but I'm a bit disappointed in it given the price.

The anti glare coating scratches easily, though the lens doesn't. The alarms are starting to malfunction after a couple of years. Battery life seems a bit short too - about a year and a half. Looks cool though.

Next watch I'm probably going back to Timex.

Deke

Deke
Quote Reply