Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ever Wonder About Michael Jordan's Siblings? Here's One of 'Em:
Quote | Reply
From Powerlineblog.com[/url] Meet Command Sgt. Maj. Jordan

We yield to no one in our admiration of Michael Jordan, but I can't figure out why we haven't heard anything about his oldest brother James -- make that the Army's Command Sgt. Maj. James R. Jordan. Command Sgt. Maj. Jordan is completing his thirtieth year of service with the Army's 35th Signal Brigade and reaching his mandatory retirement date. Because his unit is about to be deployed to Iraq for a year, however, he has asked for permission to extend his duty for the year.

Separated in the height department from his baby brother by nearly a foot, Command Sgt. Maj. Jordan appears to have set the example for him in the heart department. Military editor Henry Cunningham of the Fayetville (N.C.) Observer has the story in "Senior NCO Jordan decides to stay with his team."
Quote Reply
Re: Ever Wonder About Michael Jordan's Siblings? Here's One of 'Em: [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a Company Commander on the 35th SIG BDE when he was a First Sergeant,we were in different battalions, but my 1SG was good buddies with him, and he was a jumper when I worked as Jumpmaster a couple of times.

Funniest story I ever here him tell was how he used to kick Michael's ass when they were younger. He also used to get a new car every yr, as Mike owns a couple of car dealerships, in Durham I think.

He definately ranks up in the two 2-3 best CSMs that BDE has ever had. There have been albunch, both at BN and BDE level, that should have been forced to retire yrs earlier instead of subjecting anyone to their lack of leadership ability.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Ever Wonder About Michael Jordan's Siblings? Here's One of 'Em: [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully, he'll get his extension request approved. I can't see the Army letting top-flight senior NCOs out at a time like this. But, crazier things happen all the time :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ever Wonder About Michael Jordan's Siblings? Here's One of 'Em: [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to think he'll get it. At my last job at Ft Bragg, I worked for a LTC who had retired after 20yrs and got to come back on AD in 2000 (still don't know that entire story) He had served in MACV-SOG and other SOF units. He's still on active duty right now, has a star on his CIB, and has been in Quatar for the last 18 months.

So with that in mid I think they'll let CSM Jordan hang in for a few more yrs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just wonder how in the hell mike is 6'6" and robert is 5'7". talking about wading at the shallow end of the gene pool...

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Ever Wonder About Michael Jordan's Siblings? Here's One of 'Em: [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know all about the whole "get recalled to active duty" thing ;-) It's happened to me twice since I retired in late '99. I used to be a special warfare operator and a medical service corps officer, so they had my name down. My wife's been recalled once and she's doing a civilian DoD tour over in Eye-Rack right now.

mclamb's observation about that shallow end of the gene pool is right on. How the HELL did Mikey come in at 6'7" and his pipsqueak bro' come in a foot shorter? ;-))

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running around for thirty years with a steel pot on your brain housing group will make you shorter.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever Wonder About Michael Jordan's Siblings? Here's One of 'Em: [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michael's older brother Larry was the best basketball player in the Jordan family ... until Michael grew to 6'6 (or it may 6'7 as others have written ... no matter). Larry is also short. They have some funny stories about beating Michael up (on the court) until he cried, and then Michael's revenge once he was a foot taller.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Ever Wonder About Michael Jordan's Siblings? Here's One of 'Em: [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think Mike was "only" 6'6", but you know how the NBA is. They always list their players 1 to 2 inches taller than they really are, for some reason. I read some of those stories. I think Jordan even got cut from his JV team or something like that.

I remember exactly what I was doing when he hit that jumper against Georgetown as a freshman in the NCAA finals. Funny how some stuff sticks with you. I was overseas in the M.E. and we got a tape delay broadcast of the game sent to us from the old AFRTS service (we called it "A-FARTS").

K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Jordan even got cut from his JV team or something like that.

As a sophomore he got cut from the Varsity team (but still played JV). Sorry, as I mention from time to time I live in North central Illinois and you can't help but know every detail about Michael Jordan or Walter Payton.

I remember exactly what I was doing when he hit that jumper against Georgetown as a freshman in the NCAA finals.

Growing up I was a huge Georgetown fan (David Wingate was my hero ... until he turned out to be a pro-NBA lady-beater). I was never a big Jordan Fan (I always preferred the Bad Boys style of Detroit to the finess game of the Bulls), but as the years went on, his greatness over came all "Haters". I was digging through some old stuff the other day and came across a Chicago tribune from their 1st title.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Ever Wonder About Michael Jordan's Siblings? Here's One of 'Em: [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steel pot????

Dude your giving me a VH1 1976 flashback... Even the reserves and National Gaurd have had Kelvar helmets for the last 20 yrs.

:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In our units, we first got Kevlar for our heads back in '84. The last time I wore a helmet liner and steel pot was back in '83. I first saw (and ate) an experimental MRE (Meal, Ready-to-Eat) back in '83 when I was doing some woodland counterinsurgency stuff down at Camp Blanding, outside of Jacksonville.

Those MREs were an immediate hit, I can tell you that :-))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But the c-rats canned pound cake and canned jam were trading stock... the fruit cake... target practice!!! Still have my P38.

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Ever Wonder About Michael Jordan's Siblings? Here's One of 'Em: [ridesign] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh...the good old "John Wayne". Still keep one clipped to my keyring ;-) The wife thinks I'm an anachronist boob, though. :-))

T.
Quote Reply