Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hitch hiker story
Quote | Reply
Here's a quick story I will pass on before I jump on my trainer.

I picked up a hitchhiker today. No idea what possessed me to do this, the spirit of Thanksgiving, maybe? He didn't look too bad: big, bald 50-ish guy, jean jacket, jeans, decent work boots.

I pick up people all the time: When it's some kid who is going up the the ski hill and its on the access road. But to pick up a guy in the middle of town, on my way to another town 15 miles away, I have no idea why I did that.

Scary. He was from a movie! Turns out he has been in and out of the "Big House" a bunch of times, the first time in 1978, and has a "bunch of DUIs" and broke parole. Sounded like he hurt some guy too. Lord knows what else.

He started telling me stories about "the old preacher I work for, well his son blew his brains out a few years ago so now he has to take care of four little kids" and other stories about "A tree fell on my brother in 1987. He was hurt really bad so he went down to Orange County to get better." Stories about the "Big House" (Deer Lodge, Montana): "Which is a lot better now than when I first went in in 1978. Back then it was cold and no insulation, now its like a motel ... And you know like 75 percent of the inmates have Hepatitis and they spit in the food."

It was classic, but scary, as the fella was a lot bigger than me (but very gimpy, I could tell that when he approached the car and got out). It was only 20 minutes. I mean I run into all sorts of people in Montana, and I have worked with people not too far off this guy. You could tell he was not right in the head, though, and that he was also borderline mentally retarded. I wanted to tell him not to tell people who pick him up stories like that, as it might scare them, but that would have been stupid.

He had no filter. If it entered his head he said it: Probably what gets him in trouble: If it enters his head, he does it. Gulp.

I'm sure many of you have much better stories.

A stupid way to be nice, I guess. I think I will just pick up snowboarders from now on,

cheers,

-TB
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch hiker story [tbinmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a lot of hitch hiking throughout different parts of the world back in my hippy days over thirty years ago. It was fun but I have a couple of scarey tales to tell also, but with whacked out people offering me a lift.

For several years I picked up hitch hikers and met lots of interesting people until I had an incident with that scared the hell out of me. Picked up this guy who was babbling all over the place. He then told me he was packing a piece but only carried it for protection. I just gently humored him until we arrived to where he wanted to be let off, but he was so flipped out that I was more than just a bit scared.

It's a different world now. Hitch hiking was something everybody did in the 60's and 70's with very little to worry about. Very seldom stop nowadays, in fact hardly ever unless it's some obvious college kid late for class or something like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My uncle and his son are in deerlodge. His wife left him and married the assistant warden (no bullshit). And people wonder why I don't live in Montana anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big, bald 50-ish guy, jean jacket, jeans, decent work boots.

He had no filter. If it entered his head he said it: Probably what gets him in trouble: If it enters his head, he does it. Gulp.

Jesus - that's Mr. Tibbs in 20 years...