Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thanksgiving with Fred
Quote | Reply
Today I spent my Thanksgiving with my Fiance and three daughters delivering meals to elderly homebound folks in San Diego. My youngest daughters are 8 yr old twins and I thought it would be a good experience for them to see another side of life. We delivered five meals, all of the recipients were surprised and didn't remember ordering a dinner but their faces lit up when we showed up at their door. Tow of the ladies were blind and another two could barely walk. Our last delivery was to a man named Fred. Fred lives in a part of town thay could be described as seedy to say the least. On our way to Fred's apartment we passed by a few gang type looking young men with tatoos who were blasting rap music through their boom boxes. When we rang Fred's door he was surprised to see us and said he was not expecting anyone. Fred invited us in to his modest apartment. Fred had a bird on his shoulder along with lots of bird droppings flowing down the back of his white shirt. Fred showed us pictures of his wife who he said went to heaven a few years back. He showed us a book of the Marines where he said he served for 22 years. Fred actually showed us the same photos and a book for his paraqueet three times. Fred told us his memory wasn't so good, in fact it seemed to be about three minutes long. When we were ready to leave Fred thanked us again and gave me a firm handshake and hugged my daughters.

Fred made an impression on me that I am sure will be lasting. I am grateful that I can go on a 80 mile bike ride tomorrow. After experiencing what I did today, I will make an effort to live life as fully as I can every day and be grateful for the things I have and the people in my life.

Thank You Fred
Quote Reply
Re: Thanksgiving with Fred [Ross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice story- I missed it earlier.

I missed it too.

Merry Christmas.
Quote Reply