Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone understand what is happening in the Ukraine?
Quote | Reply
I am seeing very little news coverage of this story. I don't pretend to understand the dynamics of the situation, but this whole thing looks really important.

I hope the West can help those trying to prevent the election's being stolen from the democratic reformers.

I don't remember. Did the Ukraine give all their nukes back to Russia?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone understand what is happening in the Ukraine? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only vague recollections, but there's been quite a lot presidential fraud/corruption in that country in recent years. Not heartening (but not surprising) to see Putin supporting the fraudulently elected president. I know h and Bush have good relations, but I'm not sure at all that he is one of the good guys.

Re: Anyone understand what is happening in the Ukraine? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another component the US needs to be cautious with is the rhetoric we deliver to both Russia and the Ukraine on this. Effectively they will only respond with allegations the elections in the US are tainted and that the US has no business interfering with an internal issue (a favorite phrase of Vladimir Putin). Because of this situation, it falls on the hands of Europe to take a diplomatic course to resolve what appears to be a tainted election.

Russia's Putin wants the conservatives in power ( I suspect that he would like to make the Ukraine a protectorate of Russia). The Ukraine continues to have an arsenal of nuclear weapons. Whatever the outcome, I certainly hope that they can get through this without bloodshed.

RB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just hope they aren't hitting the vodka too hard when they're checking for hanging chads.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone understand what is happening in the Ukraine? [Rocketboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, what a mess. I thought they kept some of their nukes.

Putin is trying to reform the Soviet Union from what I can tell.

I am hoping this turns into a Marcos like scenario, when he tried to steal that election. No nukes in the Philippines though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a great photo from the AP. It's not quite a chinese guy facing down a column of tanks (like Tiananmen Square), but it's similar in its message:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They tried to set up a Gay district.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone understand what is happening in the Ukraine? [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Urkraine's Central Election Commission has declared the incumbent the winner.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/...l-041124-rferl03.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone understand what is happening in the Ukraine? [GJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that the incumbent stepped down to let his prime minister run for president. It is the validity of the prime minister's election to president that is in question.

RB
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone understand what is happening in the Ukraine? [Rocketboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right. I guess I should have written "the incumbent's cronie." ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone understand what is happening in the Ukraine? [GJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure the guy is pretty much a clone of the president anyway.
Quote Reply