Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Poll: Proposed Congressional Amendment [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He can be, but had he spent most of his life I would not want him to be President, but I don't want to change the Constitution to make that change
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Proposed Constitutional Amendment [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't mind the amendment, but I don't want it passed with a particular person in mind. Pass the amendment and have it take affect in 20 - 25 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Ok, rather than have an immigration debate, let's change the scenario. The mother is here legally with a green card. They move back to Mexico when the boy is 2 months old.

Should he be eligible to be president?"

Well, I think he would be eligible. However, if he lived his whole life in Mexico, I wouldn't think he would do well in an election.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Proposed Constitutional Amendment [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I can see the republicans really getting excited about a pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-stem cell research presidential candidate...
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Proposed Congressional Amendment [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How he would do is irrelevant, the fact is he would have the right to be President where someone in the opposite position, someone who immigrated here when they were two months old and has only known America as home, can't run. All because of the patch of dirt they were born on.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Proposed Constitutional Amendment [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I wouldn't mind the amendment, but I don't want it passed with a particular person in mind. Pass the amendment and have it take affect in 20 - 25 years. "

A time period? This would be like denying the suffragettes the right to vote, but granting the right to their daughters...
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Proposed Congressional Amendment [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You could actually change the immigration laws to prevent someone born of an illegal alien from being a citizen."

You know, slowguy, I agreed with you, but I have been shown to be wrong. The 14th Amendment actually states "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States".

So you would have to amend the constitution to stop the children of illegals from becoming citizens.

JA
Last edited by: JohnA: Nov 23, 04 18:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, I saw that later too.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next