Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A religious letter to George Bush [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There appears to be a freedom of religion as long as it's not Christianity.

Well, if a Muslim judge tried to put up a statue of the Koran in a courthouse the issue would probably he handled by lynch mob, not in the courts!

If there's a backlash aginst Christianity, it's because of morons like Roy Moore. There seem to be some people who just don't get it when it comes to keeping government and religion separate. I don't think any signiicant number of people dislike Christianity per se.

I won't disagree that we legislate morality to some extent. But the examples you site have a much more practical reason: safety. Even libertarians support laws criminalizing murder because it is non-consensual. A better example would be suicide, which I happen to think is a stupid law (and I am not a libertarian). Moving just a little further down the spectrum, speeding laws are justifiable because they are also meant to protect public safety. Speeders are more likely (supposedly) to endanger others, as well as themselves. This also imposes real out-of-pocket costs on society in the form of things like ambulances and police and fire response.

Progressive taxes is a much more interesting issue. One could clearly argue that a progressive tax is based on a moral judgment, but that is not the only justification/explanation. One could also argue that a progressive tax rate is simply the mathematical expression that comes closest to taxing people equally, based on what they can afford to pay. In other words, 10% to someone earning $50k hurts them just as much as 30% to someone earning $1 million (these are made-up numbers). In that sense, the tax rate is really equal. you will probably scoff at this idea, but I happen to believe it. In any event, the tax rate is clearly a collective problem that we must all deal with as a society.

Back to the subject at hand, laws governing what goes on in the bedroom are not necessary and have no other possible justification other than needlessly imposing the moral view of the majority on third parties. As long as no one else is affected, I don't think the majority's moral position should guide, regardless of whether it is rooted in the Bible or not.

Quote | Reply
Well sure laws are drawn up for safety among other reasons, but the trade off of safety for freedom is a moral choice. Suicide is not against any law of which I am aware. Attempted suicide is. That is a moral choice. Sure, you can cloak it with other rationalizations, but at the end of the day it is a statement about society's value of the life of an individual. Ditto for speeding laws.

Plenty of arguments go back and forth about trying to regulate bedroom behavior. At root both the law itself, and society's decision as to what effort should actually go into enforcing such laws are moral choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"There appears to be a freedom of religion as long as it's not Christianity."

Yeah... those poor persecuted Christian Americans. We need to do something to help them.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm nothing, if not predictable.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>"To use the NT as a guide is not a bad way to start."

Maybe. Maybe not. Why should we start with the NT as a guide for our current civil laws? Why not start with the Koran or some other religious text? Or, better yet, why not start with the idea that we should only pass those laws that are necessary or beneficial to society and then figuring out what those are?

>"The idea behind the First Amendment it was to allow people freedom of religion and to allow people not to be persecuted because of their religious beliefs."

No, that's the idea behind the free exercise clause of the 1st Amendment. The establishment clause is the one that says there should be separation between church and state. Which is another reason why we shouldn't start with the NT as the basis for our current civil laws.

Quote | Reply
Seriously, though, I get your argument. It does seem to be quite un-PC to be Christian in this country... despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of people in the USA are in fact, Christian.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well... I was raised Christian, and still consider myself Christian, although I haven't been to church since I got married five years ago. I agree with the fundamental belief of Christianity... that Jesus was the son of God and was crucified and died for my sins, and was raised from the dead.

However, I also have a lot of problems with many of the generally accepted interpretations of the Bible... and I have a REALLY big problem with Christian zealots telling me that their interpretation is right, and mine is wrong, and I'm going to Hell if I don't believe the way they do, or that my Jewish or Muslim friends are wrong in their beliefs and that they're going to Hell because they don't believe in Jesus as the son of God.

In short, I'm a Christian, but I'd have to say I belong to no established church. Call me an "independent" Christian or a Christian "light". Whatever. I try to live my life the way I think God wants me to... and I probably fail more often than I succeed. But I don't believe any one religion is "right" or "wrong." I think what truly matters is your own personal relationship with God.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear that but truly have my doubts because a lot of people say they are Christian because their parents are or that is the way they were raised. If people actually acted like Christians I don't think there would be any of the animosity towards us, we are often our own worst enemies.

We actually had a very interesting sermon a bit ago about "how to know you have salvation"? We all know lots of people that are "saved" because they think Jesus is cool, and heaven seems like a nice place. Other than that they really don't believe anything else in the Bible or really out in practice any of Jesus's teachings. anything about sacrifice, service, restraint, reconcialiation, love, etc are outdated ideas in an old text not intended for this modern society.

anyway, our poastor pointed out that the key to salvation is "perseverence" .... true salvation means you want to live your life to emulating the teaching/model of Christ. I'll try to post the verses we covered, because there were some that said that many will be decieved into believing they are saved, when they are not.

I do not say this as if I am an extension of God determining who is and who is not saved? I say it as someone that wants his friends and others to explore whether they have true salvation or if they are "just in case" Chrisitians that may be fooled into thinking they have something they might not have.

Unfortunately, as in most things, the extreme views are the ones that get the most publicity.

The extreme views not only get the most publicity, but they are used to characterize everyone else remotely associated with them or sharing somewhat similar beliefs. We've done this with Race, Sex, etc .. now it's religion's turn.

-------------------------------

Of course, we legislate morality. You don't want Christian morality to be legislated ... come up with another source. Let me know what that source is.

Legislating safety takes away from freedom a little bit each day. In order for something to be illegal it should have a direct and provable correlation to infringing on another's rights. No, we have laws prohibiting anything that *might* infringe on somebody else. We're treating like children. Having laws in effect because the activity might affect someone else's pocketbook is very dangerous (and outright stupid, IMO). It could be shown that everything and anything can cause other's insurance rates ot taxes to increase ... and be grounds for being illegal. I don't want insurance companies telling me what should be legal or not.

I think people vastly over-estimate how much "safety" laws provide. Laws are a means of punishment, not prevention. An officer cannot arrest someone for murder, burglary, rape, etc until the action has already occurred.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Nov 23, 04 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: A religious letter to George Bush [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>"Of course, we legislate morality. You don't want Christian morality to be legislated ... come up with another source. Let me know what that source is."

I don't want to legislate anything for purely moral reasons because I don't want you or anyone else imposing your morality on me. Why should someone be able to impose their moral values on me any more than their religion?

>"Legislating safety takes away from freedom a little bit each day. In order for something to be illegal it should have a direct and provable correlation to infringing on another's rights. No, we have laws prohibiting anything that *might* infringe on somebody else."

This is just a balancing question. Where do you draw the line between safety and liberty. It is a very difficult issue for people to agree on, but it is the proper way to frame the debate. My point (above) is that as long as there is a safety or infringement factor, it is appropriate to debate whether and how to legislate it. Your point is simply that you don't agree with where our politicians have drawn some of the lines. Fair enough, but you can't please everyone when you are balancing intangible factors and drawing lines.

>"I don't want insurance companies telling me what should be legal or not."

That's an unfair and loaded way of phrasing it. The insurance companies are merely a good measure of the real-world costs of certain activities. One of the most appropriate things for government to legislate (IMHO) is collective action problems -- that is, problems that are in the best interest of everyone, as a group, but no one, individually, with the result that the free market won't correct for it (if you took economics, you will recall the so-called tragedy of the commons; this argument is also probably the best capitalist argument why communism fails). Many enviromnental regulations are good examples of this.

>"I think people vastly over-estimate how much "safety" laws provide. Laws are a means of punishment, not prevention. An officer cannot arrest someone for murder, burglary, rape, etc until the action has already occurred."

People vastly overestimate and vastly underestimate most macro-numbers. The effect is magnified when the consequences of a probability are particularly good or particularly bad. (I recommend the book Innummeracy on this phenomenon.) For example, people overestimate their chances of winning the lottery or dying in a plane crash.

As to your second point, laws are both a means of punishment and prevention. As preventative measures, they are not foolproof, but they probably work better than we realize. For example, I think a lot more people would steal, cheat on their taxes, and drive really fast if there were no penalties.

Prev Next