Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pilots on ST?
Quote | Reply
Haven't seen this topic come up yet: Any pilots who are also STer's? Not that this sport isn't expensive enough already, or that there needs to be another reason to think this is an elitist/country club sport. Wonder if Thule makes a bike rack to fit a -172?

Just curious...
Quote Reply
Re: Pilots on ST? [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No bike rack as far as I know, but Ritchey makes a take apart frame where you can fit the bike into a bag that could be carried in a small plane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do sailplanes count? This is my other bike: an HpH Glasflugel 304CZ

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Pilots on ST? [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gotten a chance to sit up in the cockpits of our planes, and also some of these babies. It's definitely a feeling of power to have a plane the size of this in your hands ;-)

This is an AN124-100. Russian made, and usually a piece of junk. But this one is remarkably in good repair. Honolulu Int'l Airport, 11/17/04. Ko'olau Mountains in the background. T
Quote Reply
Re: Pilots on ST? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen that big boy at Moffet. When it flying you kind of scratch your head and think what the heck is holding that thing up? It looks like its moving in slow motion through the air.
Quote Reply
Re: Pilots on ST? [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. My thoughts, too. We've got its big brother, the AN224, coming in next week. It's supposed to be the largest cargo plane in the world.

I'll get some snaps and try to get up inside it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't fly much anymore, I got a private single Eng. in the 70s Glider rating in 75. Commercial rotor craft (helicopter) in 80.

They make some great folding bikes, for aircraft,

join a club ,buy some 172 block time, cheaper in 10 /20 hour blocks

even if you don't get a license , have a guy share flight hours with you .

Not cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, that looks like a perfect jump plane!! Put me in it and I'll hop out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone catch OLN when they showed Greg Lemond flying? Looks like he had a pretty nice plane, maybe a Lancair, not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No plane of my own, but they pay me to push buttons (and occasionally yank and bank) one of Polar Air Cargo's aluminum whales.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Pilots on ST? [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polar Air flies freighters out of here (HNL) all the time. They had a big 747 (the one with the winglets...the passenger version being a 747-400) out on the ramp today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that is what I fly. I was just in HNL for a few days in early November. Do you live in the area?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey all

I'm a private pilot w/ intstrument rating. Although I havnt been flying as much as I like to w/ training and all. Fly in the SF Bay Area and in eastern PA when I'm at school.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Pilots on ST? [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to go up in a sailplane some time. How cool!

Here's the inside of the one I fly - wish it was mine, but it's not. With no one in the back seat, I'm pretty sure I can get a couple bikes to fit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Greg are you guys hiring??????? Whats the latest with you guys and Atlas

Dan

727 Driver, I much prefer to call it the Carribean Harley than a jurrasic jet, ha.

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a pilot's license but I can fly a Cessena 152, 172 and some other light aricraft. I can hold a large helicopter at a hover somewhat awkwardly.

I have jumped out of a variety of aircraft including a jet- a C-141 Starlifter at jump school at Fort Benning. I've also jumped an MH-53E Pave Low, MH-47 Chinook, MH-60 Pavehawk, MC-130 Combat Talon, C-130 Hercules, Caribou and a few other aircraft. Some of the guys I knew tailgated a 727 once like the guy who did the highjacking- D.B. Cooper. I've never done that though. I've flown in lots of interesting helicopters including a Russian Mi-8 in extremely bad repair.

I love flying. The sailplane thing sounds absolutely awesome. That is a cool shot of the AN-124 Condor also. A customer of our who works at Detroit Metro Airport told me one was scheduled to fly in on the 16th of last month. I waited all day to see it go over- maybe I missed it or got the date wrong.

I'd love to see that.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Greg, do you know any of the people in this video?

http://www.worldairroutes.com/Polar.html
Quote Reply
Re: Pilots on ST? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sailplane thing sounds absolutely awesome.

I have flown most of the junk schwiezer line ,1- 26 ,2 -33 .In my younger years. Its a silent joy to soar, without watching torque, oil,Tach %, hydr. pressure, instrumentation. I once got released a 2,500 over large parking lot and thermaled up to 10,500 . My back seater got air sick due to the tight banked turns to stay in thermal. So we smoked it back down a VNE for that junker just under a hundred ,we buzzed a repair truck on a mountain microwave repeater,the guy looked up as we shaaaaaaaawooo by. The thing weighed 600lbs empty with a 51 ft wing ,solo level stall was like 31 mph. Its more expensive than renting a 152 or 172 , due to the tow cost, Ideally the best would be learning in the desert, where one tow to 2000ft could make an all day flight. Its mellow flying a lot like sailing, except for the high speed dives. Good memories .

Quote Reply
Re: Pilots on ST? [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we just hired one small class (8 folks?). Will more be?--don't know. The latest news is that there will be a full 'operational' merge between Altas and Polar. This may mean big (not necessarily positive) changes are ahead. Where do you work? Are you looking to get a job with us?

Quote Reply
Re: Pilots on ST? [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if there was a link on the site to the video itself, but, yes, I could recognize a bunch of guys I fly with in the photo stills that were of the -400 cockpit. Are you buying the movie? If I bought it, I think I would fall asleep in minutes, only because I have done too many of these legs arcross the Pacific and Atlantic...

Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Nov 20, 04 5:50
Quote Reply
Re: Pilots on ST? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow Tom,

Thats a lot of jumps, where you in the army????? I flew hercs in the marines, it was fun watching the grunts jump out. On the ground we would take our safety harness and attach it to the bulkhead and lengthen it so that it comes taut just as you reach the end of the cargo ramp, so while in the air the grunts would pick on us as they usually have a hatred for the fly boys so we would dish it right back and show them by running towards the end of the aircraft with the cargo ramp open with no chute and stopping at the very edge of the ramp. They would then seem to tolerate us and kinda accept us in a sick friendly kinda way, ha, I think ive used up most of my 9 lives so ive got to be carefull these days.

As for helicopters, I wont get in one, If it doesnt glide then I dont ride. ha

Dan

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fly 727 for Amerijet, is Dan Wells still your chief pilot???? I flew with him back in the carnival days. Do you have a Dave Leamy on your seniority list?????? So that sounds like an interesting merger, how are you guys going to merge the 2 lists, ALPA must be scratching their heads on this one although Ill guess that it will probably be up to the 2 MEC's to decide. I hear that Atlas has been hiring a bunch of crews, who knows, Im pretty content right now flying where im at only because im home every day and I have ample time to train. Whats your schedule like and how do you maintain your training while flying those long trips? When I was flying the A300 for another non sched I would bring my trainer and a crappy road bike that was in the crew lounge and set it up in flight and get a good hour or 2 of training while in flight, with a cabin altitude of 4-5000 feet I got in some of my best training, ha. Hey wait a minute, thats an idea, wet lease a 727 on the weekend fill it up with cyclists and hold a spin class at altitude and really tweak the cabin to get a 9000 foot cabin altitude, hmmmmm, im gonna have to explore that idea

Dan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in. Just single engine (land), with about a hundred hours in C152/C172/Warrior/Archer/Citabria and an hour in a Robinson R22. Currently living in Brunei, where there is apparently a single C172 for rent, but I can't get a reply from the 'club' that rents it. May have to take some time to go back to the US for a week or two and get some hours in next year.

Have about 150 jumps out of them too. Jumped all sorts of stuff from the regular cessnas, BN Islander, Twin Otter, Casa 212, Let 410, King Air inluding one from 22,000'), Boeing 727 (airstair), hot air balloon, Bell 412, and a Pitt's S2 (you stand up, hold onto a T-bar on the top wing and he rolls it around you, then you let go after he takes the photos). Hoping to jump a C130 at the thailand boogie next year.

J.
Quote Reply