Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Didn't someone here tell me last week that we don't have laws against hate speech?
Quote | Reply
BRAVE NEW SCHOOLS
Student evicted
for satirical flier

Forced to undergo counseling
for urging women to lose weight

Posted: November 13, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

A university student evicted from his dormitory and forced to undergo psychological counseling for posting a satirical flier that offended women has been restored after intervention by a national free-speech advocacy group.

Apparently seeking a resolution to clogged dorm elevators, University of New Hampshire sophomore Timothy Garneau posted a hastily made flier joking that women could lose the "Freshman 15" by walking up the stairs instead.

Basing it on an advertisement posted at the school gym, Garneau wrote: "9 out of 10 freshman girls gain 10 – 15 pounds. But there is something you can do about it. If u live below the 6th floor takes the stairs….Not only will u feel better about yourself but you will also be saving us time and wont [sic] be sore on the eyes."

Turned in by an angry residence hall director, Garneau was charged with offensiveness including "acts of dishonesty," violation of "affirmative action" policies, "harassment" and "conduct which is disorderly, lewd."

He was sentenced to expulsion from student housing, given extended disciplinary probation, required to meet with a psychological counselor to discuss his "decisions, actions, and reflections" and made to write a 3000-word reflection paper about the counseling session.

The school rejected any appeal by Garneau, who lived out of his car for three weeks, and he contacted the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, or FIRE.

After a protest from the North Carolina-based group, the university reduced his sentence from eviction to "relocation" to another dormitory, extended disciplinary probation and a single "ethics" meeting with UNH Judicial Officer Jason Whitney.

"We are relieved that UNH has discovered its obligation to the Bill of Rights and that Tim is back indoors," said David French, president of FIRE. "But the university should never have put a student on trial and evicted him merely for posting a flier."

In a letter to UNH President Ann Weaver Hart, FIRE contended "forcing a student out of housing for posting a satirical flier is both outrageous and unlawful," pointing out even material far more offensive than Garneau's message is protected by the First Amendment.

FIRE also disputed the "harassment" charges, arguing that hanging a flier was hardly "sufficiently serious -- i.e., severe, persistent, or pervasive -- as to limit or deny a student's ability to participate in or benefit from an educational program," as is required by harassment law.

Calling it "harassment"dangerously trivializes real harassment, the group contended.

Garneau acknowledged he initially denied his responsibility for the flier to dorm director Brad Williams but said he confessed a few minutes later.

The student explained he was afraid Williams would punish him severely and unlawfully for his expression.

"After being kicked out of the dorms for three weeks, it is clear that his fears were completely justified," said Greg Lukianoff, FIRE’s director of legal and public advocacy. "Williams had no business 'investigating' constitutionally-protected speech in the first place."

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Didn't someone here tell me last week that we don't have laws against hate speech? [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you TRYING to pick a fight with these guys? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Didn't someone here tell me last week that we don't have laws against hate speech? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elwood is just riding the natural high after Demerly told him he had a nice bod and great skin.

"Are you TRYING to pick a fight with these guys? ;-)"

Yes he is, but unfortunately he's trying to support his conclusion that the U.S. has hate-speech laws with an example of a University policy. Last I checked, University rules aren't U.S. laws.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Didn't someone here tell me last week that we don't have laws against hate speech? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Are you TRYING to pick a fight with these guys? ;-)"

I've always been trying...

As to picking fights, I'm more than trying, I'm succeeding. Now to work on winning...

Quote Reply
Re: Didn't someone here tell me last week that we don't have laws against hate speech? [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got yer back, Big Papa :-) Lemme go find some Ann Coulter or Laura Ingraham, and I'll be right back ;-)

Reactionary Kahuna
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious question: what the legal status of "hate speech" in the US. Protected?

"Last I checked, University rules aren't U.S. laws."

Perhaps not, but people's rights are getting trampled by University rules and nonsense even worse than that depicted in the article I posted. Kids getting expelled from school for drawing pictures of guns or for possession of non-prescription medicine? How about the kid who had to go to counseling for kissing a little girl in his class (kindergarten, if memory serves).

These may not be laws, but the certainly appear to have the effect of laws. And with that, how long do you suppose before some of this BS gets codified?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is more a matter of PC getting a little out of hand. First Amendment rights to free speech are still pretty untrammeled, as far as I can tell. Just take a look at the Internet and the kind of stuff you can dredge up on there.

As far as what universities are trying to pull, I don't know that they've been too successful at regulating what can and can't be said (especially at the state-supported school level) if a student or his sponsors drags them into the right court.

Public schools (K-12) get away with it because the school board and parent groups let them get away with it, either because they happen to agree with it, or because there isn't a strong oversight by the school board and parents as to the curriculum being taught in their local schools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"These may not be laws, but the certainly appear to have the effect of laws. And with that, how long do you suppose before some of this BS gets codified? "

Probably not too long, and when that day comes, I'll be against it. I'm not a big fan of legislating thoughts. I don't like the idea of hate crimes or hate speech as a part of the law.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Didn't someone here tell me last week that we don't have laws against hate speech? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Probably not too long, and when that day comes, I'll be against it. I'm not a big fan of legislating thoughts. I don't like the idea of hate crimes or hate speech as a part of the law."

Careful, Commander, you're coming perilously close to aligning yourself with a certain frothing libertarian. You and Tony and I may be dangerously close to a group hug!!

On a more serious note, that business about hate speech being protected was part of a larger discussion on the ACLU. So my question to you is: If the Nazis wanted to march in Skokie in 2005, do you think they would be able to get permits to do so?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If the Nazis wanted to march in Skokie in 2005, do you think they would be able to get permits to do so?"

I'm not familiar enough with the particulars of the law as regards intent to incite violence, but I would guess they would probably be denied their permit, and the ACLU would sue on their behalf again.

Slowguy

Quote Reply