Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowman . . .
Quote | Reply
. . . just wanted to say that I respect how you run this community.

And moderators of The Womens -- yes, it's a thankless job. But most of us here know it. We just don't say it.

So I'm saying it. Thanks.

I'm just saying.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman . . . [She-Beast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2

Quote | Reply
x3 - i'm a moderator of a motorcycle-related board, and i know it's impossible to keep everyone happy, especially when certain elements insist on regularly stirring the pot.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
+4

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree completely. It is amazing more people aren't banned for their behavior but I know striking a balance is tough. Well done Womens!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree. She-Beast, thanks for posting this.

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the kind words. it's been a little wild and woolly lately. just know that folks who exhibit cruel behavior are in six kinds of pain themselves. people who are that damaged during their formative years never recover. they grow up to beat and berate their kids, abuse their spouses and parents and, because all that won't salve their pain, they're on forum boards trying to scratch their itch. it's all a big joke when they post during the day, but they cry themselves to sleep.

i've tried to help these folks, but it's way beyond my ability. they need a lot more than a pep talk from me. so, the only thing i can do is separate them from you. just realize its much worse for those who're forced to live with them.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman . . . [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i've tried to help these folks, but it's way beyond my ability. they need a lot more than a pep talk from me. so, the only thing i can do is separate them from you. just realize its much worse for those who're forced to live with them. [/quote] You mean people like record10carbon, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman . . . [sam-i-am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You mean people like record10carbon, right?"

you might note that i pulled a post of his yesterday. sometimes he's on the edge. but his intention on this forum is not to be malicious, as opposed to those who i am constrained to ban. my intention on this forum is to leave as much up as i can, and ban the fewest people, and pull the fewest posts, and that leaves a lot of published material that some will find offensive.

i note that you've been here something less than two weeks. this site has been here something more than 10 years. why don't you relax and enjoy the community for awhile? from one angeleno to another, as we wait in line for our lattes, or suffer the weaknesses of others who don't exhibit the restraint or wisdom we'd like, can we let a little roll off our backs from time to time?

have fun here. let me worry about the moderating. if you find something offensive, send me a PM or an email alerting me to it. thanks in advance for your help.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
i note that you've been here something less than two weeks. this site has been here something more than 10 years. why don't you relax and enjoy the community for awhile? from one angeleno to another, as we wait in line for our lattes, or suffer the weaknesses of others who don't exhibit the restraint or wisdom we'd like, can we let a little roll off our backs from time to time?
word :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure that all the people who have been banned were abused as children? and now beat and abuse their own children and parents?

I'm just asking because my prior screen name was disabled and I don't remember any abuse in my past or present.

I also don't remember ever using foul language in my posts. Nor calling anyone an "a**hole" or commenting on the size of their penis. Nor ever espousing racial bias or bragging about violence towards others. I've never posted a photo just to make fun of the person in it. I'm pretty sure I haven't made fun of recently deceased people. I don't have a signature that says anything like "-All You Haters Suck My Balls-".

I've admitted my sin.....bolding 3 letters in a word. That just doesn't seem so bad in the grand scheme of ST sins.

Now that I think about it, I've never accused people I've never met of abusing family members either.

Can I have my old screen name back, please?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman . . . [soraplastic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Are you sure that all the people who have been banned were abused as children?"

well, they are in my mind's eye ;-)

"
Can I have my old screen name back, please?"

we're closing in on 30,000 registered users, and i'm getting old. i don't remember your case. maybe you can PM me, or email me, and tell me who you were in your former life. and anything else you want to say about the matter. let's get you your old self back.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So help me out here. You delete a thread and ban all the participants for what you considered cruelty. yet that thread simply talked about thigh size, obesity (a medical term) and when it degraded was over an attack on one of the participants - who I believe, if memory serves me correctly, was called an 'ass' - yet those perpetrators are not banned. What is more, in this thread you slander all those people calling them 'damaged', abused, who now are spouse abusers and child beaters - that is pretty horrific.

Again could you please state what the standards are that you are holding people to?
Could you please warn people before banning them?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman . . . [trimebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"you slander all those people calling them 'damaged', abused, who now are spouse abusers and child beaters"

i personally know none of the folks whom i've banned. but it's clear cruelty doesn't spring from nowhere, is it not? have we not as a society concluded it comes from trauma, and perpetuates itself absent intervention? so, no, i don't know about the personal behavior of any specific person banned from this forum, because in most cases i don't even know who they are (most of these folks take great pains to hide their identities when writing their mean words). i'm simply saying -- and of course you understand this -- that as much as it hurts to be on the receiving end of cruel internet posts, think how much worse it must be for those who live with them and, indeed, for these people themselves.

"Could you please warn people before banning them?"

long before now everyone had plenty of warning. most of the folks i've banned have been warned, often by personal emails and PMs from me, often via phone conversations. everyone knows what decent behavior looks like. well, almost everybody. no sense railing against this, friend.
for those who just don't agree with how this forum is run, there are other places to spend time. that's the beauty of the internet.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 12, 09 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was not a participant in the thread on obesity. My sin was commited on a thread about race directors...in the main forum.

I will be sitting down with my 80 year old parents this weekend and confronting them on the abuse issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman . . . [soraplastic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My sin was commited on a thread about race directors...in the main forum."

so, what do you want me to do? as i wrote to you a few posts above, send me an email or a PM and give me a little background, and inform me on what that action is that you want. then i'll take a look and see if i can satisfy your request. if that correspondence is not forthcoming, i'll assume that you're set.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You created a forum that has grown bigger than you - there are good things here - it would be nice if you could be consistent and lay rule for banning give warnings etc.

Most did NOT receive warnings. Perhaps you thought you sent out emails or PMs but you did not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent you an email. I'm not sure why you didn't get it. I linked to your emial off your profile. Perhaps the link is damaged?

I'll send another.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman . . . [trimebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"it would be nice if you could be consistent and lay rule for banning give warnings etc."

here's your rule: be civil.

here's your warning (not to you in particular, to all who post here): whomever stalks any member of our forum, or acts in league with those who do, banning is the least of your worries as we move forward from here.

in addition, we have a FAQ, please read it, and i think we're all good.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 12, 09 11:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to get this back to the original thread topic and say thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've said it before and I'll say it again - you do a bang-up job of trying to keep this beast running and keep all the overly-hyped Type A's from beating each other to death (and/or perpetually dehydrating themselves in the constant - and consistently tiring - pissing contest).

You take the heat that's dished out evenly and dish back in fair amounts.

The beauty of being the creator/moderator/chief bottle washer is that what you say, goes. It IS your world, sir, and we are just playing in it. Lest anyone forget that and get a tad too mouthy...I say ban, pull or otherwise banish them from our mosh pit.

When children in preschool or day care get in trouble they're often given "time outs" or some such punishment. Why, as adults, do we think we are above such treatment when we act no different?

Thanks, Dan.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman . . . [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x 2. This is Slowman's sandbox and he sets the rules and has the right to have anyone leave.
I am glad we have this forum and as my parents always told me:

"If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all"

Thanks, Slowman!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for all you do! It is very appreciated and the good things about this forum greatly outnumber the bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman . . . [pookie87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first off...i'm a guy. wasn't sure if i was supposed to say that first since this is the womens thread. ha!

second off...this thread started as someone saying thank you. and then turned into a bbq of slowman. what gives?

like most things american, eventually people feel something is a right and not a priveledge. if you guys don't like slowman's site you don't have to hang out here.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman . . . [sufferman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah pretty sad eh. Don't know if you saw the earlier thread that was far worse, if not, consider yourself lucky.

But thanks for dropping in, we're not all bitchy all the time (just some of us some of the time) ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply