Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My first tri! TAT RR
Quote | Reply
'How to prepare for a tri' or....umm....well, whatever.

So a month before this race, I decided, to help me conquer my fear of the water the only way I would keep swimming would be to do a tri. I wanted to do the sprint at Guelph Lake II but Toby insisted not on my bike and to do the try-a-tri instead (turns out it was something to do with not knowing how to change a tire and the longer sprint bike course....which is totally not true, I know how to change a tire, I call Toby ;P ....okay, so I have to learn to change a tire).

Race preparation: I bought a new bike! One with more than 5 gears! A cyclocross bike, Kona Jake the Snake :) Well, I mostly got it for the Ride to Conquer Cancer next next.

Swim prep: Swam open water twice. Was going to swim more backpacking but Lake Superior is freaking cold, and clearly I was not motivated enough to overcome the freezing. So 2 swims.
....I had not swum for a....year and a half?

Bike prep: A couple of trainer rides, 4 outside rides (not having ridden outside in at least 17 years). Two on the bike from 70's, Peabody, and 2 on Beans, my Kona. On first ride on Beans discover to my shock that on some bikes you have to get off the saddle to stop. Who knew? Also a couple of sessions in the subway parking lot practicing starting, stopping, and cornering (slaloming through parking spaces and around the light posts).

Run prep: Before I got injured, I could run 45k, albeit slowly. Then I gained EVEN MORE weight - out of control - and got even slower, which is impressive. I checked my Garmin Connect and I ran 6 times, including 2 TAT simulations, in the month leading up the race.

So clearly, given that I was still working on the neuroma, a race I was entering at my most prepared/in good shape. Heh.

Mostly I was terrified of crashing. Certain I was going to crash.

Race morning, Toby was racing the sprint, as were Ken, Gary, Rob, Paula, Roger, and K (who I finally got to meet!). So I got to focus on pictures and cheering and didn't really start to get nervous until closer to my race.

I warmed up (heh) for the swim, got a call from my mom who was at the swim start somewhere, and then lined up in the back of my wave. Started sort of enthusiastically but found a rythym, so even though I was far from fast I wasn't really getting passed either (until the fast swimmers from the wave behind caught us). I actually kind of enjoyed the swim, breaststroking along!

Finished the swim, and was surprised exiting the water how tired I was. Ran up the hill and along transition to the entrance, pulled on my sunglasses, shoes, helmets, race belt, and grabbed my bike.

There kept being people in front of me when I was trying to get on the bike but I got on, slightly spastically, and headed off. At first I let other people dictate the pace (staying back so as not to draft) but then I realized that I would survive passing them and started to pass. I did fine on all the corners, braked going down the first big hill (but not going down the big hill on the way back!), and while I was slower than normal, was fine going up all the hills (passed people) and survived, which I was thrilled with.

Back to transition (gave my mom a hello kiss at bike off) and then started on the run. Was more tired than I expected so was slow even for me, but hey. The run course was hillier than I expected, not having any expectations at all or having really bothered to consider what it would be like.

I was lucky to have a great cheering section in Toby, Mom, Ken and Vanessa, Gary and Mel, K and Tanker! And I got to see Paula and Roger before I started.

My final time: 55.53. Not impressive by a long shot, but I'll take it. I was just happy to survive the bike :) I also did the race without my 405, which was a bit weird.

13.52 swim (ouch), 26.11 bike (22.9k/hr, slow), and a 15.51 run (6.21min/k). No transition times available :(
Last edited by: Teags: Sep 7, 09 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: My first tri! TAT RR [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to go! I hope you enjoyed it enough to repeat the experience. Triathlons are sooooo fun! But 1st time will always be the first!
Quote Reply
Re: My first tri! TAT RR [IMV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure! I have some stuff to work on over the winter :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job on your first time!!! Congratulations!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds as though you had a fantastic experience!!! Way to go!! My first ever Try a Tri was at Guelph Lake too, years ago. A woman parked next to me and as I was getting organized and pulling my great big huge mountain bike that was at least 20 years old out of the trunk, she asked me if it was my first triathlon. I wondered how she knew : ) but also thought wow this is the best sport ever.

I had an interesting day. I can`t count the things I did wrong. And I was real slow. I thought the run would never end. I was gasping and wheezing!!! But after it was done, I couldn`t stop smiling. I had so much fun!!! I am glad you did too!

Congrats on your first race. I hope there are many, many more!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you did great for your first race! almost exactly the same bike split as mine for the TAT in june, too, so don't feel bad. bike fitness comes with time and practice!

was great meeting you and toby, and we had tons of fun cheering you on - thanks for being part of my cheering section during the sprint! :D

should have warned you about the run course - those little rollers sure take it out of you, but you did awesome! :)

so, when's your next?

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Thanks Starting Over!

It was a lot of fun. A very cool day. I've been cheering at tris for awhile, cool to finally do one. I think Toby has visions of us only having to drive to one set of races from now on, hee hee!

K, glad to cheer you on! You should be thrilled!

Not sure when my next one will be - I have to see how the race schedule for next year matches with doing the Race to Conquer Cancer and Sinister 7, but I think Milton might work, I could do the sprint there....
Quote Reply