Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

missed 'TOM" during IM training - how long to wait?
Quote | Reply
So, while training for IM Canada I missed the last 2 months of my period (no, not preggers, sex was not part of the training plan, haha). Did this happen to anyone? I did not lose weight (well, maybe a few lbs), so I don't think it has to do with low bf, probably just the training hours during the end. I am just wondering how long it will take to come back, and when I should be concerned? I am 38, and the next thing on the plan is to start trying for kid #2 (#1 is 2 yrs old). Hmmmmmm - now it makes is harder to know when I will be able to get pregnant, as well! Any thoughts, or similar experiences?
Quote Reply
Re: missed 'TOM" during IM training - how long to wait? [Angela K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Angela, you should see your ob gyn asap if you are hoping to add to your family. Were you restricting calories during your taper?
Quote Reply
Re: missed 'TOM" during IM training - how long to wait? [Angela K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The recent articles I've read on this say it's not a body fat thing at all, it's a calorie in/calorie out thing. Your body knows it can't sustain a pregnancy so it doesn't allow you to get pregnant is the thought. Researches started to look at this when the obesity level/crash diet started to happen a lot in the 90s and they saw a LOT of overweight women miss periods and the one similarity was that they were all on a crash diet of some sort.

Start eating more and/or exercising less. And see a doc just to be safe.
Quote Reply
Re: missed 'TOM" during IM training - how long to wait? [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been going through this myself recently and have recently been diagnosed with "hypothalamic amenorrhea". Basically, your hypothalamus stops sending the signals to your pituitary to produce the hormones that cause ovulation. My understanding is that 2 or 3 months is the point at which you should be checking in with a dr.

As PirateGirl mentioned, it isn't strictly about body fat - each person has a different set point where issues might arise for them. But, according to my reproductive edocrinologist, it isn't just a matter of calories - hormones released by the stress of exercise (even if you're replacing all your calories) also interfere with your normal hormonal processes. In my case (since I'm trying to get pregnant), my dr has cut me down to 2-2.5 hours/week of exercise and instructed me to gain 5-10 lbs. I will likely also have to be treated with an exernal source of the hormones if I can't produce them myself. Since you've been able to conceive in the past, this might not be necessary. But I would certainly advise talking to your dr about this. Good luck!

Jesse
Quote Reply
Re: missed 'TOM" during IM training - how long to wait? [scrumhalfgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a matter of calories, or body fat % - it is those and other things, lots of interrelated factors.

Search a couple pages back and look for my 'ACSM position on female athlete triad' thread, that has a link that explains it.

To the OP, if you are TTC, see a doctors soon and in the meantime, don't be afraid of eating more. Particularly more dietary fat (precursor to hormones).

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: missed 'TOM" during IM training - how long to wait? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies girls!! Sooooo - I finally got it - 10 days post IMC. Maybe the stress of the race being over and the week off with no training whatsoever and eating whatever I wanted...whatever it was, I got it and I have never been so happy to get it. I think I am up a few lbs too, which is of course, not welcome, but oh well. I resumed training again, not to the extent that I was doing before, but it feels good.

Thanks for all the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
days post race being up in weight is likely this: glycogen stores re-filling. You are probably not training much (you shouldn't be!) and as carbohydrate is stored in muscles again, it is stored with water too - IIRC the ratio is every 1g CHO is stored with 4 g H2O.

Which is a long way of telling you your "extra weight" is water weight.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My next IM really ought to be sponsored by First Response.
Quote Reply