Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why do you care? [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> "The enthusiasts who don't need them can afford them, and the racers that need them can't."

In Japanese archery, it is recommended that the student purchase the most expensive gear that he or she can afford. That way, when the arrow misses the mark, there can be no excuses as to where the blame lies.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you care? [markr14850] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote from GT: "Jeremy now writes: "What do you care what i beleive someone should wear?"

I don't, but I wonder why you call people "posers" if they wear jerseys or kits of a pro team, but it is okay for you to wear the team's shorts. A very funny place for you to draw a line. You did post this on a discussion board, so it is open to discussion.

And the he writes: "We live in a free society GT, not the USSR or behind a 12 ft cement wall."

Exactly! So I guess it is okay for a guy to wear "full Mapei team gear (Colnago mapei colored/designed bike, jersey, shorts etc)," or "USPS full uniform, down to the USPS socks," or "TdF Climbers polka dotted jersey" if they want? Great, I am glad to see you changed your mind!"

Okay here it is---your not a poser youre a dork---is that better? To me, you earn the right to wear that kit--you make the team. I used to flat water kayak and win races. One day i was wearing a USCKT shirt (US canoe and kayak team) that i had bought in a kayaking store. This guy comes up to me at a race who had just made the US team and asked me what years i was on the team. I was embarresed to explain that i was never on the team and that i just liked the shirt. It was at that point, that i had to decide to not wear clothes that made me look that i was better than i am. This may be news to you, but people judge you based on your clothes and on your car. It might not be right, but it happens. I can draw the line where i want, you might think its funny or weird or strange by line is one item of USPS clothing, the shorts. Theyre comfortable shorts, i like them, when i need new shorts i'll get a new pair of USPS shorts--i like Lance, i have taped every stage of the last 4 tours.

I never said it wasnt okay for a guy to wear what he wanted. You can wear a shirt that says "im with stupid" or "a 1986 simpsons t shirt with a picture of Bart that says Totally dude" You and anyone else can wear whatever you want, i just might not think its the coolest thing to wear. I might think your a dork---i'll still be your friend (related to someone elses post), go on a ride with you, etc and you know what, i wouldnt even tell you i think you look silly. Even though in MY minds eye i think you do.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you care? [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The correct answer to the question from that guy who had just made the US team was: "I haven't made the team but I admire the achievements of the team and I wear the shirt as a way to put a voice to my reaspect and my support for the team"

I swam competitively for a long time. We always traded shirts and hats with other teams that we met. As a result I have some Notre Dame swimming shirts, USA Swimming, University of Maryland Water Polo, etc. even though I am Canadian and could never have belonged to the US swim team and went to school in Canada. Does it make me a dork? I don't think so. Does it make me a poseur? I don't think so. It is simply my way of acknowledging the achievements of the athletes that I admire. Of acknowledging the fact that I wish I could have achieved the success they have achieved.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you care? [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeremyb babbled:

"Okay here it is---your not a poser youre a dork---is that better?"

Does jeremy need a nap?

"I never said it wasnt okay for a guy to wear what he wanted."

Go read your first post in this thread.

Little dude, you made the comment about people wearing kits being posers. You brought this up. Let me tell you a little secret, the people who run the teams want everybody to wear their little kits. They make money from them. The USPS people wold love every cyclist in the US to wear their little kit, whether they make the team or not. Just because you do not feel right wearing one does not mean everybody who does is a poser. I don't care where you draw the line for yourself, but if you make fun of others because of it, I reserve the right to call you a hypocrit for wearing your little USPS shorts.

Ride with me and be my friend? Little dude, I have standards to keep. I don't ride with people who make fun of people because they do not approve of what they wearing. I do not ride with people who make fun of riders because they are slow, or newbies, or struggle to climb hills. (Not everybody can be an experienced top-notch cyclist the first time they get on a bike.) You have done all of those. Grow up!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you care? [Cullen Watkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a great thread! I've been keeping up with since it began, and can hold off on replying no longer. Personally, I would feel a little pretentious riding a $3K or higher bike, especially if I wore a full blown team kit whilst riding that bike. The reason is simple: I'm not that great a cyclist, and I can ride my $750 Giant (which is now actually an $1100 Giant thanks to some upgrades) as well as I can a more expensive bike. The ride is probably harsh, but I've never glided over our south Georgia shake and bake roads on a KM40 or 5200 before so I don't know what I'm missing.

That being said, if I had the funding at my disposal, I probably WOULD be on a 5200, Litespeed Blade or some such super expensive bike (of course purchasing the one that fits the best). And I might would wear a pair of USPS team shorts. A little pretentiousness I can deal with, but I doubt you'll ever see me in full USPS/Mapei/ONCE/Team Whatever gear. Might not be anything wrong with wearing such, but I'd feel goofy. Too much Lycra for me.

As far as the 15mph rider decked out in full gear on a uber-expensive bike, so what? I like for people to ride expensive bikes, no matter how fast they ride. I like to look at them -- I don't get to see very many really nice bikes around my area, so I like to see them when I can (no matter how fast or slow they may be going).

A weaker rider on an expensive bike shows his weakness, while a very good rider on an older and/or less expensive bike shows his strength. But in the grand scheme of things, stuff like this really doesn't matter. I need to spend my time worrying about my bike, not someone else's.

RP
Quote Reply
Team Jerseys [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of Euro team Jerseys that I wear when I train on the road and I never selected them because I wanted people to think I was a hot rod but chose them because they were bright and colorful and maybe would keep me from being hit by a car.

Hey Dan, that Slowtwitch jersey looks pretty bright and colorful. Actually it looks even better in a photo than the drawing.
Last edited by: R Isgrigg: Jan 10, 03 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: Team Jerseys [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's as good a reason as any for wearing the team stuff. However, down here in the backwoods, motorists are more likely to take a swipe at you if they see you in a brightly colored cycling outfit. Lycra fashion has not caught on well in the Deep South. That being said, I like the Slowtwitch stuff and have been meaning to pick a few items up to show my support for the site. I wouldn't feel nearly as goofy in Slowtwitch gear as I would in Euro team stuff. I don't know why -- I'll have to think about that for a while.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Why do you care? [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GT, youre 100% right, I dont know what i was thinking. Thank you so much for convincing me of the error in my ways.

I think I've grown up a lot over the last thread, and i owe it all to you.

Again, a warm thanks. Have a good season.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply

Prev Next