Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flip-flops out in public freak me out because is strikes me as unsanitary. What godawful thing is going to touch my feet???

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't even wear flip flops at the summer camp I work at. Unsafe to run around in :-)

Sneakers go though.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in a lab so people don't usually wear flipflops.

I hate when people wear lululemon black yoga pants as regular pants. I don't know how popular lululemon is in the US, but in Canada its out of control. They aren't pants! You cannot wear them to work! Stop trying to pair them with button down shirts and heels! It makes me crazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What really bugs me are pajama bottoms and slippers or flipflops to the store or even more annoying, at the airport. Remember when flying was an occasion to dress up for?
I'm glad someone else notices this. My dad used to work for the airlines when I was a little kid, and we ALWAYS had to dress up to go on the plane. I mean, not dresses, but usually black pants and a nice shirt/sweater. After not flying for a while and getting back into traveling a few years ago, I thought maybe my parents had made up that whole "look nice when you travel" thing and I was just too oblivious to notice people were in PJ's around me with what I saw getting on the flights.
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [Large] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Down here, general flip flops are looked down upon, but nice sandals are acceptable office shoes in many places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear flipflops almost every dry day during my commutes, but am forced to put on steel toes once I get to work. I don't mind it actually. I get to throw people off my shop floor who wear sandals. I had to kick out a senior software programmer who refused to even wear covered toes/covered heels and stay in the non-manufacturing areas. His excuse? "I don't own a pair of shoes like that" (he only wore birkenstocks to that point) We he wears runners now and is very good at obeying the marked walkway lines.

I too agree that they are in general not professional. A lot of it depends on what kind of work your company does, and how much interfacing with others/the public there is...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [swimlinz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to take a lot of early-morning flights for work - flying from the Midwest to CA for meetings, then flying back early the next morning and heading to the office from the airport. If you think I'm going to wear my clothes for the meetings on that plane - to sit in and rumple for 4 hours prior to walking into a meeting - instead of actually being comfortable and looking decent when I go into the meeting (where I make my money), you're crazy. I'm going to walk onto that plane and sleep (as I drive the 30 minutes to the airport at 5:30a), I'd much rather take the 3 minutes to change in the airport bathroom to look nice in my meeting.

Who do I have to impress on a plane? It's entirely more important for me to be comfortable and be able to sleep as I'm crammed into that ridiculously small seat - so yeah, I'll wear sweats and a hoodie or jeans and a hoodie.

If it's warm outside, I wear sandals almost every day to work. We don't have an environment where we're required steel toed or whatever. I push the envelope on casual some days, but my work performance is what's more important here.

When did we become a society so concerned about what others are wearing and what others are doing? Who cares if that person's a slob, wouldn't it just make you look better? Seems petty to me that this discussion's gone on this long. But, my $.02, I'm one of "those" people.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. with each toe a different color, and tiny little paintings where your toenail polish would be. You can even supply the artwork for the paintings.
Quote Reply
Re: Flip-flops at the office: what's up with that? [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear flip flops almost all the time, especially in the summer. Although mine are a nice leather pair. At the office I used to work at, almost everyone wore them, sometimes even the CEO, but hey, I work in the bike industry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What sort of office is this? What is their dress otherwise?

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply

Prev Next