Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bob Jones' letter to president Bush
Quote | Reply
Found this at Washington Monthly.

You may remember Bob Jones and Bush's trip to Bob Jones University in the 2000 campaign. It caused a lot of discussion amongst the godless communists on the left because BJU said interracial dating was forbidden by the bible (since dropped). Rightwing theocrats responded "what does the left have against christian values"?

Anyway, here is Bob Jones' letter to W.

http://www.bju.edu/letter

Quote:

In your re-election, God has graciously granted America—though she doesn't deserve it—a reprieve from the agenda of paganism. You have been given a mandate.

....Don't equivocate. Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ. Honor the Lord, and He will honor you.

....Undoubtedly, you will have opportunity to appoint many conservative judges and exercise forceful leadership with the Congress in passing legislation that is defined by biblical norm regarding the family, sexuality, sanctity of life, religious freedom, freedom of speech, and limited government. You have four years—a brief time only—to leave an imprint for righteousness upon this nation that brings with it the blessings of Almighty God.
Quote Reply
Re: Bob Jones' letter to president Bush [rb5980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You may remember Bob Jones and Bush's trip to Bob Jones University in the 2000 campaign. It caused a lot of discussion amongst the godless communists on the left because BJU said interracial dating was forbidden by the bible (since dropped). Rightwing theocrats responded "what does the left have against christian values"?"

Classic. It's scarey that Dubya is buddying with loonies like Bob Jones. Since I've dated black and oriental women I guess I'm damned.
Quote Reply
Re: Bob Jones' letter to president Bush [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See you in hell.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk about stretching an inch into a mile. Why?

Anytime a person needs "poster bias" defined, we can just say: See thie first post in this thread ==> (*grin*)http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...arent_post_id=247630

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Nov 11, 04 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your point, you secular-humanist left-wing abortion-lovin', devil-worshippin', going-straight-to-hell-in-a-handbasket liberal? ;-)

Everybody knows who Bob Jones is. Give Dubya at least a little credit for being smart enough to realize he's got to keep guys like this at arm's length.

The letter was put out by BJU for the benefit of its base. I'm sure you'll hear the same kind of stuff from James Dobson and Jerry Falwell and Oral Roberts (is he still alive, or did he get "called home" yet?) and the rest of 'em.

And just 'cause they say it, don't mean it'll happen.

"Non-pickup truck drivin'" Kahuna
Quote Reply
Re: Bob Jones' letter to president Bush [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>"Give Dubya at least a little credit for being smart enough to realize he's got to keep guys like this at arm's length."

Arm's length is WAY too close for this boy's comfort.

>>"And just 'cause they say it, don't mean it'll happen." You're right about that, but it still scares the cr-p out of me that people actually say and think stuff like this. Even if W doesn't listen to that nutjob, plenty of voters do. They even pay lots of money and spend years of their life studying at his school so they can get a diploma with his name on it. Pretty frightening if you ask me.

I'm sure Bob's a really swell guy, though, when you get to know him.

Quote | Reply
"Give Dubya at least a little credit for being smart enough to realize he's got to keep guys like this at arm's length. "'

Dubya and BJ are probably a little tighter than they would admit .

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/...p;_ccc=1&cid=946
Quote Reply
Re: Bob Jones' letter to president Bush [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest, now that Dubbya doesn't have an upcoming re-election to worry about I don't know what direction he will go the next four years.

Will he appease radical cleric Bob Jones and the rest of the evangelical base? For some reason I can't quite see him as a full fledged doomsday lunatic like that, I hope it was just political calculus. Maybe now we will see some of that moderate who ran in 2000.

I've been cynical about this administration but I have a glimmer of hope deep down that the first term was about re-election and the second term will be about making history.

Hopefully this term is not about gay marriage amendments and pro-life supreme court appointments.

That would be worse than a 2nd Clinton term of depositions and semen stains.
Quote Reply
Re: Bob Jones' letter to president Bush [YabYum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the second term will be about making history."

What kind of history? Do you mean bringing full democracy to Iraq, solving the the Israel/Palestine situation, full economic prosperity, defeating all environmental problems while still making $$$ profits for the oil industry and returning the US to the glorious traditional social values of the 1950's due to the appointment of conservative supreme court judges. And will also be remembered as one of the greatest presidents and international statesman.

Why am I so skeptical?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
a glimmer of hope deep down

...way, way, down...

I can't say what he'll do for sure, but that's not to say historical opportunities are not staring him in the face, it's up to him.

I think I am in the "acceptance stage" of election grieving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Classic. It's scarey that Dubya is buddying with loonies like Bob Jones."

Don't be a dork. Jones has political clout and can swing votes. Candidates suck up to anyone who can swing votes. Clinton buddied up to Jones as well and so did Gore. Maybe if Kerry had, we'd have a different president today.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Bob Jones' letter to president Bush [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Bob Jones University have a triathlon team?

If not, we could start one as honorary members and recruit from ST. We could do some co-branding with TSR.

I will appoint myself president and write a mission statement.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Bob Jones' letter to president Bush [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Bob Jones University triathlon team"

Rule #1 - NO Poofdahs!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

What kind of history? Do you mean bringing full democracy to Iraq, solving the the Israel/Palestine situation, full economic prosperity, defeating all environmental problems while still making $$$ profits for the oil industry and returning the US to the glorious traditional social values of the 1950's due to the appointment of conservative supreme court judges. And will also be remembered as one of the greatest presidents and international statesman.

Why am I so skeptical?
There you go wallowing in your smuggness again. While you're busy worrying about Bush and his relevance how much has the irrelevant Martin stolen from you this week?
Quote Reply
Re: Bob Jones' letter to president Bush [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Why am I so skeptical?
There you go wallowing in your smuggness again. While you're busy worrying about Bush and his relevance how much has the irrelevant Martin stolen from you this week?

But then again not even Canadians care about Canadian politics.

I think U.S. Presidents have always had more name recognition in Canada than PM's.

Not only have we taken your hockey teams and medical professionals, we have taken your interest in politics as well.
Quote Reply