Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Here we go: Privatizing Social Security
Quote | Reply
"A starting point is a plan proposed by a presidential commission in 2001 that would divert 2 percent of workers' payroll taxes into private accounts. The remaining 4.2 percent -- and the Social Security taxes employers pay -- would go into the system, helping fund benefits for current retirees. That leaves a shortfall of at least $2 trillion to continue funding benefits for those current retirees.

Bush said his commission, headed by the late Democratic Sen. Patrick Moynihan of New York, provided ``a good blueprint.''

For future retirees, base benefits would be cut by tying them to inflation instead of wage growth, with stock market gains assumed to make up any shortfall. The concept gained support in the stock market boom of the late 1990s.

Bush has not said how the $2 trillion transition costs would be funded, nor did his commission."

What a load of crap. The commission put forth three proposals, only one of which was viable economically, and this one ain't it. Art, you see that bit about "base benefits would be cut..."?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go: Privatizing Social Security [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The commission put forth three proposals, only one of which was viable economically, and this one ain't it. Art, you see that bit about "base benefits would be cut..."?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The SS privatization idea is a GD joke. Its a disaster waiting to happen. The main benficiaries are going to be brokers, big business, and savvy investors.

SS Privatization, Tax reform, and Drilling the wildlife refuge in Alaska -- so far Bush's top priorities in 2nd term

Apparently he thinks his "mandate" and "political capital" give him free reign to pursue anything under the sun, regardless of whether he campaigned on it or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go: Privatizing Social Security [TTTorso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The SS privatization idea is a GD joke. Its a disaster waiting to happen. The main benficiaries are going to be brokers, big business, and savvy investors.

SS Privatization, Tax reform, and Drilling the wildlife refuge in Alaska -- so far Bush's top priorities in 2nd term

Apparently he thinks his "mandate" and "political capital" give him free reign to pursue anything under the sun, regardless of whether he campaigned on it or not.

Yah....why do it when you can just have the government wiping your rears for you instead of you doing it for yourself? SS is generally the joke. It was never designed to do what we want it to do now, and it's going broke. And sooner rather than later. And why are we letting anybody draw at age 60 to 65? We live a lot longer now, and some of these cats are sitting on it for 20 or more years, now.

Grandfather boomers (I'm willing to go with a partially privatized system even though I was born in 1960) and the pre-boomers, and let's get everybody into a government/private system that addresses liberal concerns. Hell....truthfully, I don't expect to even be able to have SS available in 2027 or 2070, when I guess I'll have to start drawing from it. 'Cause it'll be GONE and broke if we don't do something about it NOW. But, I've planned ahead, which is something I don't see a lot of the younger among us even contemplating doing.

Of course, libs will never go for it. Let's just keep everybody scraping by on the pittance that SS pays out rather than really helping people to manage that money and make it work for them.

"A hand up, not a hand out". Get used to it.

K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Apparently he thinks he's been elected president or something.

And he did campaign on privatizing social security.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a first. You have only given a partial quote of yourself in order to twist your own meaning.

The full quote is "base benefits would be cut by tying them to inflation instead of wage growth ..." A more correct statement would be the rate of increase in base benefits would be cut ....

Cutting a projected rate of increase is not a cut.

I don't know what the math is, but I would think a partial privatization could be fully funded by a much needed modest increase in the retirement age. It is a debate that is much need in this country. Bush should be saluted for having the courage to campaign on this issue and to try to address it.

Bush did not get elected president in order to play small ball. He is trying to change the country and the world. At least give him the respect of criticizing his proposals rather than his motivation.
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go: Privatizing Social Security [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It needs to be done. I just think this proposal if a half-assed way of doing it--a political compromise--not swing for the long ball. As I have said before, if Americans really knew how bad they are getting screwed under SS, there'd be riots in the streets. How can you go from a potential average annual annuity of $124K under private investment to one of $24K under a government "entitlement" and consider that a benefit?
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go: Privatizing Social Security [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know where the debate will lead, but I am thrilled Bush is trying to force it. Ditto for the immigrant issue. I can't see how you say he is not swinging for the fence. One needs to start somewhere on these issues.

It sure is nice to see this after Clinton, the master of the microscopic. Gee, he got an extra day in the hospital for pregnant women. What a legacy.
Quote Reply
Re: Here we go: Privatizing Social Security [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if Americans really knew how bad they are getting screwed under SS, there'd be riots in the streets. How can you go from a potential average annual annuity of $124K under private investment to one of $24K under a government "entitlement" and consider that a benefit?

That's the crux of the issue. But the left thinks everybody out there is too stooopid to participate in their retirement planning. The condescension inherent in the left's attitude is amazing, it's paternalistic and it's in keeping with how they've gotten a significant portion of the population to believe that somehow the federal government is going to make it all better for them.

SS has its place. But it shouldn't be the be-all, end-all of retirement planning, which is what Dems have done a marvelous job of convincing folks that it really is.

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Brilliant, yeh I'd much rather ride the Titanic to the bottom of the ocean.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Here we go: Privatizing Social Security [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any way you lok at it the SS system is f8cked up. Put some money into private retirement accts and there is a shortfall that needs to be covered. The govt saying that an improved economy will make up for it is akin to putting your head into the sand and not doing anything. Letting congress utilize it as a slush fund needs to stop. How many IOU's does SS have sitting around? The gov't also has allowed companies to underfund their pension plans. When that falls through guess who gets pricked in the butt? Not Canadians! SS was originally designed as a helping hand not an entitlement program. Tough love needs to be dished out. Bush and Congress should be courageous enough to say starting in 20?? SS will pay a flat set amt and you need to figure out how to survive and cover the difference. Of course no politician has the courage to say that, lame duck or not. I have 2 Roth's and a 401k b/c I have no faith in our president or other elected leaders to have the courage and fortitude to stand up and make the hard calls. Their backbone will be as straight as an overcooked noodle crumpled on the floor on this issue, as always. Any bettors?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Here we go: Privatizing Social Security [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Social Security and Medicare aren't called "the third rail of politics" for nothing. No politician has the courage or the guts to see them completely remade into something that isn't going to bankrupt future generations for years to come.

K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but, but, didn't you say Kerry lied when he said Bush was going to raise the retirement age?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kerry ran campaign commercials down here saying Bush was going to cut benefits 45% and raise the retirement age to 72. Bush has not proposed either. Kerry lied about this in the last week of the campaign in Florida, according to schedule.

I don't know what the right answer to fixing SS is, but I believe raising the retirement age is part of the answer. I don't know whether Bush thinks that or not, but I do know that is not one of his proposals. That is why we need a debate in this country. We need to get the issues aired and decisions made. It is a Herculean task. God bless Bush if he can actually get something done.

He is the last president that can duck this issue during his tenure. Let's hope he doesn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he might not duck it but congress will not help him make changes, after all those spineless pols need to get re-elected or get a real job.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply