Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMC roll call - PART 2!
Quote | Reply
Hello ladies.
Following on from finding out who's going to Canada, have any of you riden the bike course before? I've trained on a lot of hills here in London so am hoping it won't be too much of a shock but some first hand info would be great.

Thanks,
Harri
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call - PART 2! [dirtyharri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, rode it a few weeks ago. It's actually pretty tame. The hills that everyone had been scaring me about for years are long and steady climbs but nothing too extreme grade-wise. Do a search on the main forum, there are lots of great threads from prior years, esp one from JohnnyO.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also find a map and course profile on the race web site.

Richter Pass is just a grind. If it's hot out, it's a hot climb. Long-ish but not too steep. Yellow Lake is shorter and steeper and a bit more challenging (for me at least) as it is later in the ride.

Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can do it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call - PART 2! [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank for the low down. However, bit wary that everyone on ST seems to be aiming for a 5.30 bike leg and i am more of a 6.45 girl i think. So with that information in mind, do you still think it's not too tough?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping for 6:45-7:00 on the bike.

You can do it. If you hit your goal, great! If it takes a little longer, oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's the macho boys talking... and just think how wonderful it will feel to pass them all on the run as they suffer away, with no legs left... ;-)

AP

PS: I'm a 6:30ish girl myself.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The number of STers capable of a 5:30 bike aren't nearly as many as they'd have you believe...

I'm a 4:10 guy myself... yeah...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call - PART 2! [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's only when you ride your fixie, Khai, I mean at least be honest here... ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm late coming around, but I'll be up in Penitciton racing my first IM!
I got super excited for taper starting this week but my body isn't seeming to understand that physically; it doesn't want to stop :) how is everyone feeling?
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call - PART 2! [allegro17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will also be racing my first IM up there. I just started my taper, so I'm feeling okay so far but I'm sure I'll be hitting the taper freakout soon enough. I'm excited though, can't wait to get this show on the road!

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call - PART 2! [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The number of STers capable of a 5:30 bike aren't nearly as many as they'd have you believe...

I'm a 4:10 guy myself... yeah...

4:10??? I thought the swim cutoff was 2:20???

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call - PART 2! [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh SNAP!!!!

Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call - PART 2! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yep, rode it a few weeks ago. It's actually pretty tame. The hills that everyone had been scaring me about for years are long and steady climbs but nothing too extreme grade-wise. Do a search on the main forum, there are lots of great threads from prior years, esp one from JohnnyO.

AP

I remember reading that post by jonnyo and would love to reread it, but I am having a hard time finding it. Any ideas? I've spent too much time searching now.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call - PART 2! [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You go girl!

The secret to your speed will be our rides and runs at this Spring's womens' training camp!

I plan to follow in your foot steps at IMCanada next year...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the PP. Richter is just long, but not crazy steep. Yellow Lake felt harder. The rollers didn't bug me much at all, as you can use momentum to get up at least part of each subsequent hill.

this is from a low 7 hour on the bike finisher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 20km from Penticton is a short, steep climb up McLean Creek Rd. I think that this is the steepest climb of the day but it's really short. Apart from that, the first 60km to the base of Richter pass in Osoyoos is fast, net downhill often with a tailwind. Very tempting to hammer but probably not the best idea :)
Richter, as AP said, is neither steep, nor particularly long. It's also broken up into three pitches so you get a bit of a rest in between.
IMHO, the real meat of the race is what comes next ... a series of fairly significant "rollers" often with somewhat of a headwind to overcome. The out-and-back near Cawston is also rolling and generally rolling. If you've ridden conservatively to the top of Richter, you will pass a lot of trashed-looking people in this section. After the out and back, there is a gradual climb (a false flat really) from Keremeos to the Apex turnoff where the Yellow Lake climb begins in earnest. Yellow Lake on race day is awesome - it feels like something out of the Tour de France with all of the people lining the road. It's steeper than Richter but really not that long.
Once you summit Yellow Lake, the rest of the ride is almost all downhill. There is one little climb up to Twim Lakes but it's nothing. The free ride before you start the run is just awesome!!

Check out http://www.ironmap.com/ for a great look at the course.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC roll call - PART 2! [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Sally! Those training camp rides/run definitely convinced me I was going to need to train for this sucker. ;-)

M

Quote Reply