Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Super way OT - I judged a Science Fair yesterday
Quote | Reply
Not of my own free will since my new boss judges it every year and takes his whole department with him. Three of us judged the 3-5th grade projects. My observations are: If you are going to do your kids project for them at least let them know what its about, over half the kids had no idea what their project did or was about. A report on a volcano and mixing vinegar/baking soda is not a science project, oh its cool alright but not a since project, same goes for putting a balloon over the volcano and letting it shoot off. Besides those glaring problems all of the dirty little school kids gave me hope in the future of America (the science fair was optional).
Quote Reply
Re: Super way OT - I judged a Science Fair yesterday [Shad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, what was you favorite (not best) project there?
Was there an exploding jello project?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any nuclear devices like that kid had in the movie "The Manhatten Project"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not of my own free will since my new boss judges it every year and takes his whole department with him. Three of us judged the 3-5th grade projects. My observations are: If you are going to do your kids project for them at least let them know what its about, over half the kids had no idea what their project did or was about. A report on a volcano and mixing vinegar/baking soda is not a science project, oh its cool alright but not a since project, same goes for putting a balloon over the volcano and letting it shoot off. Besides those glaring problems all of the dirty little school kids gave me hope in the future of America (the science fair was optional).
Any Flux Capacitors? The non-nuke kind that operates on household waste.
Quote Reply
Re: Super way OT - I judged a Science Fair yesterday [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the third grade kids built a little electromagnetic crane. And actually knew about magnetism and seemed to have learned stuff. Plus, I like lego's so it was pretty good.

Another group tried to make a cloud in a jar, it didn't work but you could seem the pressure changes (they heat the bottom of the jar and put a block of ice on a plastic sheet on top.

Although they had no steep seat angle projects or anything with radioactive elements I have high hopes for next year. I left multiple copies of steep seat angle research and numbers to wind tunnels in the gym.

They also gave us judges muffins and juice (in tiny paper cups) that made it easier.
Quote Reply