Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoe Question
Quote | Reply
Ok so I have the longest narrowest foot ever and just getting into tris and want a race shoe that is an easy transition shoe. I currently wear a size 10 in mens and i guess 11.5 in womens. The more i ran the longer my foot got because my arch flattened a touch, but have been an 11 womens for ever. Now I"m moving into an even more hard to fit range and have a narrow foot on top of that. Before i was wearing the 9.5 mens Mizuno Wave Creation and worked great until my foot got a touch longer and had to go with men's 10 and the width is a little too much but close. The 9.5 size had a good width for me and with 9.5s and 10s, the arch is perfect, good middle of the road neutral shoe. So question is, i want a shoe i can run w/ thin socks or barefoot, and appears to be a Zoot or Pearl Iz, but still looking and researching. with thin or no socks, I thinkI can still go with 11 in womens if its true to size that runs narrow. I need some suggestions from you ladies! I love the feel of the Mizuno's and want something that feels similar. I dont want any more goosh than that and its not that gooshy but is as much as i want to go. My problem is every single store in Austin doesn't carry what I need so I have to drive 45 min into town to order a shoe. May as well get it online..

Any ideas, suggestions, etc would be great.

For trail I'm looking at the Saucony Saucony ProGrid Xodus, and sounds like it runs about a 1/2 long so 11 should be perfect, and runs narrow too.

Thanks! Kristi

Oh I need to add, I do not like flexy shoes, i like a stiff shoe on the bottom. So far I'm looking at Pearl Izumi Surge +, Pearl Izumi Syncrofloat III, Zoot Ultra TT
Last edited by: kkees: Aug 13, 09 17:45
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe Question [kkees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks is my favorite running shoe, I've worn them since I became a runner. Send them a mail via their website and see what they suggest. I've met several of the employees and they love their jobs, love their customers and love running.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics can run quite narrow. I just got a pair of Noosa tri shoes. They have some medial stability posting, so if that's not something you need you should probably stay away.

Brooks used to run quite wide, but i've heard they are getting better. Saucony has a typical fit of wide in the forefoot, narrow in the heel, I have a narrow foot and the forefoot just makes it feel floppy.

If you're looking for a trail runner ever, I cannot recommend highly enough the LaSportiva crosslites. They only come in mens sizes, but I love them.

I worked at a running store for several years, and I can tell you that getting someone who knows what they're selling is priceless. The stability factor is especially important, so if you don't know what you need from that standpoint don't even bother shopping online.

Good luck!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~

I have just finished my first tri- IMC '09!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of roadrunnersports.com If you are a member of the VIP club, you get 15% off, free shipping and can try shoes for 60 days. I wear a 10 1/2 and it's hard to find the shoe I need in a 10 1/2 in Hawaii, so I use RRS a lot and have really gotten my money's worth from the $30 or so it cost to join the VIP club.

If you google roadrunnersports discount code you can usually find a code for another 10% off or upgraded shipping for free and get the shoes cheaper or in 2 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe Question [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second RRS! I recommend calling them and explaining your issue to them so they can help you over the phone. You said you had a long narrow foot, but you are wearing a men's shoe. Men's shoes come in a D width while women's come in a B width. There is a big difference there! You can do a few things to fix this issue. First is getting a women's shoe, second is getting an insole such as a Superfeet to stablize your heal and prevent your arch from collapsing. If you end up with a women's shoe, a pair of Superfeet and you are still having issues with width then I recommend taking a pair of insoles out of an old pair of shoes, cutting them in half and sticking them between the tongue of the shoe and the laces. That will give absorb the unnecessary space.

I have a friend who has the same issue, but she wears a size 12 in women's. A size 11 is a piece of cake to find... as long as you know what shoe to wear.

As far as my opinion on shoes...
The Mizuno Creation is a neutral shoe and a damn stiff one at that. If you want a lighter weight shoe for racing that may give you a similar feel I recommend the Mizuno Precision. But honestly, if you just switch to a women's shoe you will cut about 2oz off!

Then depending on your arch heighth I would try a pair of blue Superfeet.

Good luck and give RRS a call! They can help you over the phone more than you think.

Elizabeth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like the stiff-feel of the Mizuno but are looking for a narrower shoe, esp. in a men's version, and in the forefoot area then I would recommend a Brooks. Both the Brooks and Mizuno have a similar heel-to-forefoot ratio (the height of heel compared to forefoot) and a stiff construction under the foot. Asics and Nike can run narrow but they are 'squishy' and close to the ground. Brooks also offers most of their men's shoes in a narrow-option (which is the same width as a typical women's shoe) among all stability levels. I recommend being fit at a specialty running shoe, such as Fleet Feet and requesting to run in a narrow men's Brooks (most FF's have an excellent 30-day return policy).
Quote Reply