Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! Doing a tri!
Quote | Reply
Well, as you guys know, I'm a runner, the bf is a triathlete.

But I'm going to do a tri (for fun, just a try-a-tri) and I need help desperately!!

I've always been scared of water but it's gotten worse over the years, to the point where on backcountry trips I will jump in the lake to cool off and then get right back out b/c I panic about silly stuff, but I'm panicked. After IMLP, one of my bf's training buddies was telling me he used to be scared and not able to swim but he wanted to do a triathlon so he learnt, even though he breaststroked his first few tris. It got me thinking, I've let my fear get worse, I used to be able to swim without panicking in open water, and now I freak out.

So, last night I went to my bf's open water swim and swam! I hiked during the day and thought that to keep myself motivated I'd have to pick something to do, like a triathlon....so I decided to do one.

I am going to do the try-a-tri in Guelph (Guelph 2) September 5. So I have a month to train.

I will also be away every weekend but one prior to the race, and will actually be gone 12 days of this month backpacking/getting to the trips (some involve a 10 hour drive). So, training time is limited!

Here is where I'm in desperate need of help!

Swim: I breaststroke and don't like putting my face in the water much because I feel really enclosed, though breaststroke is less panicking for me than front crawl. My plan is to keep up with the open water swimming - this is something I can do in the evenings on my backpacking trips and will go to the open water swim with my bf again. I'm hoping to improve time-wise and become more efficient in my stroke.

Last night at the open water swim I didn't panic, which I was SO proud of. I think it was a combination of being a small body of water, knowing that everyone has been swimming there without being eaten by monsters, and distracting my mind by thinking how much more efficient my stroke could be in terms of energy expenditure (I propel myself through the water by sheer obstinance).

Estimated by my bf, b/c we didn't time, I breaststroked 400M in about 12 minutes. Not fast at ALL! It was my first swim in almost 2 years though and I wasn't doing it right (like say I wasn't fully putting my face in the water) so I think I can improve, and want to add in some front crawl too. I swam 1200M last night, though the last lap was a fun one with 2 other people where we chatted,

But swim tips would be appreciated. Because I suck at it.

Bike: I have an old beater Miele bike. I am doing the try-a-tri rather than the sprint b/c my bf insists that riding 30k on this bike would be horrific. I was like 'but it's SO short! I don't get out of bed to run 2.5k, why would I go to Guelph to run that?' but he says as an overall event it's worth it and I can see that it is, b/c adding up all the math, I will be THRILLED if I could hit an hour.

Anyways, I have been riding it on the trainer b/c it doesn't have brakes. I actually haven't ridden a bike outside since I was about 13. I am hoping in 2 weekends (the only weekend I will be here in August) that I can do a ride somewhere outside of the city (where I am terrified of riding) and get used to the bike and using gears outside rather than on the trainer. I will have to ride around my neighbourhood too I think - there is park I would ride over to with a big hill (there's ski hills there) but you're not allowed to ride on any of those paths :( and I can't think of any other good hills near me to practice on! Maybe I'll break a few rules, I have seen people cycling down those paths.

Run: So I can do the distance and often run after being on the trainer so I'm not worried about that.

The biggest problem is I have been injured, and while I was all-to-squarely an 'Athena' (blech on the name/category) before, I gained about 15lbs b/c I couldn't run or bike and I was bored and just ate. All my meds cause weight gain too but in the end it's on me, I'm the one who puts the food in my mouth. Anyways, I have been losing weight and thanks to a new orthotic am able to run again (it wasn't a metatarsal stress fx, I have a neuroma and various structural things in that foot that never showed up before I started running ultra distance). Anyways, the new orthotic lets me do stuff without pain but it hasn't fixed the neuroma, so. And the weight gain is stressing my shins so I'm wearing compression socks and will need to make sure to warm up on the bike before every run (automatic bricks! ha!)

So....any suggestions for the swim/bike? Help!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Doing a tri! [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first of all, good for you for taking on your fears and a new challenge! :)

i did the T-A-T at guelph lake I, and i'll be doing the sprint at GLII - so i'll see ya there!

for the swim, please use flutter kick instead of the regular breast stroke kick. you won't hit people in the head as hard that way! the swim is pretty civilized if you can start and stay at the front of your wave - not sure about further back. if you can, try to catch someone's hip to draft off. if the swim course is the same as june (i understand they had to change beaches last labour day due to water conditions), it feels like it takes forever to get to the first buoy, the second one comes almost before you're ready for it, and the way back to the beach seems much shorter than the way out.

there's a big f'n hill to run up to transition, and then you have to run all the way around to the back of the transition area to get in.

the bike is all rolling hills, a little steeper on the way out than the way back. there are speedbumps on the way in/out of the park, too, so you can't get up much speed until you make the turn onto watson rd. anything you can do to practice riding hills will be helpful - there's one that's right in the middle of the out-and-back (call it about 2.5km/7.5km) that hurts when you're out of breath from the swim/run up the big stupid hill. the pavement isn't in very good condition, either, so there's quite a bit of extra friction/bounce going on - lots of cracks and crumbly bits. get outside to ride as much as you can to get used to the joys of uneven surfaces.

most of all, just enjoy it! i had a total riot doing it, and am really looking forward to the sprint! the only time i had the "screw this, wtf am i doing this for?" thought was during that run up the hill from the beach ;)

good luck - cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Thanks! I figured, take the bull by the horns!

Hey, we'll get to meet - yay!

Using flutter kick for the swim will actually work better for me, so I'm glad you said that. a)I'm better at it; and b)hopefully I can switch between the arms/front body of breaststroke and front crawl more seemlessly then. Not sure I'll be able to catch someone's draft, but I know I can do the distance now, so I have a bit of time and swim conditions to improve my stroke, though I'm sure I'll still be awful by GLII!

My plan with the backpacking (which involves a 2-day fastpack of Killarney this weekend - 39.7k/day - and the Coastal Trail in LSPP as well as the Towab Trail as a fun backpack (I've dayhiked the Towab before, but we have the time, so)) is to only swim when there is someone to watch me, especially with the LSPP trip as my swimming for the Coastal Trail will be in Lake Superior. My mom is going to come up and do most of the trail with me, she can't quite backpack anymore though so she'll be popping in and out but I should have someone there every night but one. Not sure if I'll swim in Killarney other than a relaxing cool-down, we'll see what time we get into camp!

I know being away for 12 days with such a short time to prepare isn't ideal, but at least I'll be active while away. Killarney will be long days (39.7k each) and the Coastal Trail will be 15-25k days (my dysplastic/arthritic dog will be with me and I don't like to go further than that with her). The Towab Trail will be short and so hopefully the Agawa River there will be deep enough to swim, b/c I know at least in September it can get quite shallow in places. I don't think current will be problem, though I'd work more going back up river, but I'll take a look at it at the time.

Yay hills!

Hmmm, maybe I can take my bike on the subway and go down to High Park to ride there and practice hills, b/c to be honest I really don't know how to shift for hills and obviously I'll have to learn it.

I read your race report - great! I'm hoping now just not to embarass myself!! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i can guarantee you won't embarrass yourself! you've got the aerobic conditioning, which is a lot more than can be said for some people attempting the try-a-tri - if my slow and inexperienced ass can make the top 20% overall, i'm sure you'll do great!

cool-down will be on the money for killarney, but i'm not sure about relaxing. 2 weeks ago, georgian bay was sitting at about 10-12c - i had intended to swim, but wading in up to my hips was enough of a chill. if i'd had my wetsuit with me, no problem, but without it i weened out ;) not sure lake superior would be any better temp-wise, either. river swimming can be tricky - what looks like a slow-moving current can be enough to sweep you away. don't try that alone, ok?

high park sounds like a great idea!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I do have aerobic conditioning, but let's just say hauling around an extra 15lbs takes up a LOT of energy! I am slow even for me right now! :)

Which is actually good, b/c I think the weight gain has finally hit home for me how much my weight takes up energy, even before this most recent weight gain, and how much more injury-prone I am at a heavier weight, no matter how good my aerobic conditioning is. Just because I could run 45k+ doesn't mean I should've been. Anyways, a digression, but. I'm losing weight now but trying to do it nice and easily, since I do have problems with my relationship with food and self and with binging (I still have trouble saying I have an eating disorder), so I want to lose weight slowly and healthily.

We're actually planning on a few 15 minute swim breaks throughout the days for Killarney, b/c it's such a nice treat when you're going that far! I may throw the dog in (who doesn't like swimming, even though my bf got him a triathlete dog (swim bark run) collar at IMLP) too if it's hot.

Lake Superior will be COLD. It always is. The first 2 nights we'll be at Gargantua (staying there the night we drive up, and then we'll do the northern spur as a dayhike and head back to camp, and then I'll backpack down the rest of the trail in 3 nights/4 days), so I can swim over to the harbour which has shallow sides and should be a bit warmer since it's sheltered there. I think swimming from where the campsite will be to the harbour and around the harbour in a U and back will be over 1k, I'll have to look at a map to see exactly how far.

I know with the river. I will test the current before I actually do swim training in it. I figure, at this point, I'm doing well with my fear and I don't need a negative experience to screw that up! I won't do any swimming alone actually (also b/c I don't like to leave the dogs alone in camp, even if on their long lines).

I'm thinking High Park does sound good. I should be able to get down there 3-4 times at least, so that will give me some time to play around with gearing up and down etc. The bike is so old I don't have many gears, so hopefully it will be straightforward. Be interesting to see how heavy the steel bike is too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
definitely sounds like you've got a plan, so damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead! :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I may be able to borrow a lighter bike (a hybrid) of a friend who is relatively the same height. I think it's a pretty new bike (unlike say mine which is from the 70s) so it will have more gears than 5 or 6, but my bf said I could get the principle down practicing on my bike and will likely be fine race day with the better bike. Also he says he's worried that the chain might snap on my bike (he also said the reason he told me not to do the sprint, or one of them, is that I've never changed a tire without him watching and directing me, so that if I got a flat, I wouldn't know what to do - I know, I need to learn!).

Is it a terrible idea? I'm thinking actually that maybe it's not a bad idea to borrow the better bike if I'm able. Thoughts?

(oh and this week has been TERRIBLE for training, but at least this weekend fastpacking we're doing a 45k day and then a 34k day)
Last edited by: Teags: Aug 5, 09 21:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh! And another crazy question.

Why couldn't I lift my head up breathing in front crawl, rather than to the sides? My bf said to breathe every 3 strokes as I have too much air to get out (insert joke here) for 2 strokes, but then if I'm sighting a buoy on my left, for instance, I wouldn't always be looking to my left. Wouldn't lifting my head straight up be easier? Is that too weird? Will it screw up my arms on front crawl?
Last edited by: Teags: Aug 5, 09 21:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can lift your head and breath to the front if you want but it is going to take significantly more energy to do that then side breathing in freestyle. What most triathletes do is breath to the side (whichever side they're more comfortable on) and then raise their head out of the water to sight. However, you don't typically lift your head up high enough that you could get a breath of air without worrying about all the foam/spray/waves/etc from other swimmers and you'd have to hold your head out of the water for a longer time period to actually get a full breath. Try it on your next swim - you can even try it in shallow water with your hands on the bottom - see how much energy it takes to lift your head versus breath to the side when doing freestyle. (The difference for breaststroke is that with both arms moving at the same time and the way the stroke is "built" you have more upward momentum at the moment you lift your head to breath. However, there are plenty of butterfliers who prefer to side breath b/c it's easier for some and takes less energy).

Lastly, if you're doing this to "try-a-tri" and aren't coming from a swimming background then I would suggest you focus your open water training simply on feeling more comfortable in the water and knowing you can complete the distance safetly. If you enjoy your first race you have plenty of time to do future races and focus on getting faster but for the first one don't worry so much on speed. Besides, the dirty little secret that all we fishies know and hate is that most times fish may be out of the water first but get whooped once on land by those from a biking and running background. :)

Have fun!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Doing a tri! [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Lilpups!

That makes a lot of sense about the energy useage - I figured it would be something like that.

How do you guys sight if you're breathing different sides? Or is it often enough?

I already have swam the distance plus in open water and am going to keep doing OW swims to get used to it and improve my stroke. I should be able to get in some good swimming while backpacking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the best bike is the one you feel safest on - if there's a danger of mechanical trouble with your bike, and you'd feel comfortable on the borrowed one, then go for it! you'll see all kinds of different bikes at the try-a-tri - i watched someone walk their mountain bike up the nasty hill i mentioned earlier back in june. thought it might have been a mechanical, but they were walking it out toward the turnaround, so i guess they just didn't have the oomph for the climb!

i just breathe to one side - more oxygen is good, so to hell with breathing every 3 strokes. doesn't matter how much air you have in your lungs, you can push it out and get another breath every 2 strokes.

breathing pattern doesn't matter much for sighting - your form is more important. i swim pretty straight, so i only sight every 15 strokes or so, and usually only have to adjust by a degree or two at most. if your pull is uneven (stronger on one side), you may need to sight more often. maybe try every third breath (6 strokes) and see if you're moving off course; if not, use a longer interval.

edit: btw, you won't be sighting a buoy on your left - they should be dead ahead. these aren't like the buoy lines at a beach; just 2 big orange pyramids where you actually have to turn. head straight for the 1st one, turn right, straight to the next, turn right again, and you're headed back to the beach.

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Aug 6, 09 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Doing a tri! [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I will see what I think about the bikes - I confess something like a chain snapping hadn't even occured to me, I figure if anything happens though I will just run the bike and damn the time.

I know the orange buoys! I just figured I'd be off the the side/out of the crowd a little bit. Maybe I will try 2 breaths. Breathing all my air out is something I find REALLY stressful while swimming b/c I have problems doing it and I put all my energy and focus into that.

I can swim pretty straight with backcrawl so hopefully can w/front crawl too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
making a humming noise when breathing out can help you engage your diaphragm when breathing out underwater, to help you exhale more fully. it may not work for you, but it's worth a try - can use it kind of like a meditative "om", too, to keep you focused ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's a good idea and will likely help distract me (in a good way), or refocus me, as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All signed up! I am EXCITED!

Turns out the brake calipers we have are a bit too long so it'll be a bit longer before I can ride the bike outside but I'm away this weekend anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you, and I'm glad your foot is getting better!

I disagree with whoever said to start at the front of the swim wave. If you're swimming 3:00 (or even 2:30-2:40) per 100m, you are going to get run over by the people behind you in the wave, as well as block swimmers. Start to the side (not necessarily in the back) for clear space to swim.

Definitely agree with trying to do a flutter kick instead of frog kick.

About that bike...if you don't have brakes on it by race time, it's not legal to use in the race. Safety for you and your fellow riders, please. Get your brakes fixed or borrow the other bike.
thx

and have fun!!
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Doing a tri! [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Believe me, I'm not riding a bike outside without brakes on it!!!!!!!!! Let alone going in a race.

I wasn't planning on starting at the front, but at the side, towards the back :)

And thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Doing a tri! [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just for clarification, i wasn't suggesting Teags start at the front - was simply an observation from the same course/race format that if you can start at the front and stay there, you won't get pummeled, but i have no idea how chaotic it may have been further back.

the starting waves aren't huge, though - they limit registration to about 400 total, and do 4 separate waves (by AG) 3mins apart, so it's not like a 2,000 person mass start.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
:whines: :whinges:

My road rash stings! And now I can't go swimming in the pool this weekend and I am missing ow swimming Monday to run with a friend.

Waawaawaa....... :)

Still, road rash aside, I loved biking outside this morning! Stupid construction zones with their water lines and mini-potholes! But I can't wait to get out for my ride and run tomorrow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why can't you swim this weekend?

stupid construction zones indeed...i should take photos of the only street that gives access to ours - even on my MB last night, if i had any fillings, they'd have jarred loose!

going to try my first trail run tonight, though :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Trail runs are so much fun! Have a blast!

Well, apparently you're not supposed to swim in pools with road rash - and apparently it stops it from healing as quickly. Won't have access to any open water this weekend either - we are hiking Sunday, hmmm, but mostly along the Black River. Ah well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oops...guess i shouldn't have gone swimming (and certainly not in the hot tub) when i had road rash...healed just fine, though.

i'd rather swim in a pool than open water with a grazed knee, especially with 6 local beaches having been closed due high bacteria levels from all the recent rain!

just trying to decide whether or not to take my MB and ride the trail after i run it. if we just take tanker's so he can chase me, we can toss it in the back of the car. if we take both, we need to hook up the rack. guess it'll depend on time, since we've gotta be done whatever we choose to do before dark!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Well, he said people he's known with road rash have had to stop swimming until it healed a bit more. I think by mid-next week I should be okay though, it will have healed enough. It's maybe a bit too raw tonight/tomorrow.

Sounds like fun regardless of what you guys have time to do! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i won't tell you that you should swim with it, but i didn't notice any effect on healing time. i'm sure it also depends on how much damage was done!

oh, i'll enjoy it for sure - the trails i've found run through wooded areas, so it'll probably be the coolest way to run in this oppressive heat/humidity anyway! but must NOT forget to bring bug repellent...i doubt i'll be fast enough to outrun mosquitos! *lol*

cheers!

-mistress k