Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Recovery
Quote | Reply
I posted this: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...mcda%20imfl;#2388181 in the main forum re: racing IMCDA and then IMFL but thought I'd ask the wimmins about more specific recovery from ironman.

This is my 3rd, but I've never done two in a year so recovery has never been as important.

So, any tips, ideas, etc on recovering the best/fastest I can before I head back into IMFL training?

Unfortunately I stepped off the plane from Idaho to temps over double what I raced in...i.e. 104 degrees and the hottest June on record in Houston.

I have done one swim and two 3-mile jogs/walks since I've been back. I will monitor HR closely as hopefully it can be a decent indicator of my recovery process, but it is hard to know if it is me or the freakin 104 degree heat when I cannot run more than 2-3 minutes at a time without hitting 85% max.

I think I am going to get a massage at the end of this week and may try to get 1-2 more over the next month. I'd get more, but they are just soooooooo expensive here.

It is going to be very hard to walk the fine line between recovering and not losing too much fitness. I have several friends doing IMFL who did not just do IMCDA so it will be hard to hear they are out doing a 70-80 mile ride when I should still really be sitting inside watching TV! At least it is freakin' hot and I don't really want to be outside right now...at least for now...

I am also worried though that in August when I do plan to start things back up that it will be so freakin' hot and I will have been inside "recovering" so the heat will really kill me.

I'm rambling now! Just looking for any insight from anyone who has done 2 ironmans in about the same time frame (20 weeks). Also, how much fitness can I expect to maintain/lose after about 6 weeks of taking it easy?

Re: Ironman Recovery [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did two last year, but they were about 24 weeks apart. The first week after the race I did nothing but eat (junk food). All in all I took 3 weeks off where I rarely did little more than 30-45 minutes a day. As soon as I got 'tired' I'd stop. Then I built up slowly again. But when I was training for the second one I took more full rest days. Training for the first I usually did a recovery swim or easy run on my rest/recovery day, but for the second I took a lot more days off.

Training for the first I usually did the max amount of training, meaning if my coach said 60-75 minutes of running, I'd usually do 75 minutes. For the second one, I usually did the minimum amount, but the training had more intensity.

By the time the second one came around I was mentally and physically so ready for it to be over. But I ended up having a great race and PRd the distance.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've not done 2 (hell I've only DONE 1...) but the "science" of recovery is the same regardless. There's really not much science to it. Go with the flow....

Use this time to acclimate to the heat a bit - the shorter stuff (like PG said, going until you get 'tired') will help you get used to the heat, help your body ease back into it and continue to shake out. You won't lose as much fitness as you're thinking you will if you keep moving a bit. Your body will adapt well if you just ease down a bit for awhile and do what you feel like doing and then slowly start to ramp back up. Getting some heat acclimatization now will help sustain that through FL. If you feel like throwing some lower intensity but moderate distance stuff in there you should, the more you move the more your body will recover, but just don't feel like you have to push it for awhile.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Recovery [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight.

I am kind of thinking about more "efficient" training this time around too, if it happens. My last few rides during taper for CDA were done with the "big boys" where I drafted shamelessly and hung on for dear life as long as I could. I really think I should do a bit more of that during my FL training - I have fun doing it and certainly work much harder than if I were just out there by myself giving myself all day to do x number of miles.

I am most worried about burning out on the bike, so I know I need to look into shaking things up a bit. CDA did not take the mental/physical toll on me as the prior 2 (at least so far it does not seem that way), so hopefully I will have a little left for FL.

Quote | Reply
Resist the temptation to jump back into training. Think of it this way: your recovery should sort of look like your taper but in reverse and actually even longer. I would give yourself 4 weeks to loaf around and start puttering around with your training. You have TONS of time to get ready for your next IM. If you short-change the recovery from the recent IM, you leave yourself more prone to injury and subpar workouts and emotional fatigue. Just give yourself a month to do whatever you like at easy pace, whatever sort of activity on any day, lose the watch, the odometer, the bike computer, the training schedule. Then slowly ramp back up after four weeks.

You have a huge fitness base that is not going to be compromised by four weeks recovery. The recovery is actually building but in a passive way. So watch the TdF and loaf around, eat a few hot fudge sundaes with whipped cream, and don't pay attention to your pals who are riding 80 miles. You don't need to; you need to rest right now.

You will gradually build back up starting in August and be absolutely race-fit by the time you get to IM#2. You don't lose fitness during your recovery; and the training comes back quickly if you recover properly.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Recovery [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight on the heat issue - I had it in my head that I really wouldn't be outside at all during July, but that won't be the case, I just won't be out as much as I was in say, May. My weekend stuff, whatever that may be, will be outside and I imagine I will still get in at least one jog/walk/run outside during the weekdays if not more.

Re: Ironman Recovery [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I know all of this in the back of my head, but it is good to hear it over and over again!

I'm sure I'll be back in 2-3 weeks complaining about how slow and fat I feel! I'm just reminding myself that being patient now will pay off big time in about 2-3 months.

Quote | Reply
My 2 cents to share is for you to remember that you just did a 112 mile ride, which puts you ahead of your friends' 80-90 miler.

The other point, if you can handle it, is to train early. Extreme heat is nobody's friend. My marathon experience had me starting in darkness on weekend long-runs.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Recovery [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've trained in Houston for fall marathons the past 2 years, so I am very familiar with 4:30am start times for my long runs, but it is just the biking I am a bit worried about. All of my ironmans have been in April/June, so we'll see what 4-5 hour rides at the end of August feel like! Unfortunately I can't start those at 4:30. We did start our last 2 centuries for CDA at 6:30...65 miles from home. Those were fun mornings!

Quote | Reply
It's the cumulative load over time...maybe if your schedule permits, try an A.M. ride (~65 mi) and finish before sunset with the final 25-35 miles.

Put lights on your bike for training purposes. Just think outside the box of what accommodations you must make to account for biking in high heat.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Recovery [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I could ride from my doorstep, that may be an option, but here in the lovely concrete jungle, we usually have to drive 40-70 miles before it is safe to put your bike tires on the ground.

Oh how I miss Austin!

Quote | Reply
Good luck with your recovery and training. I too did IMCDA and loved the experience (I posted in the main forum also about my broken collar bone). I read your blog about race day--too cool. I can't wait to do another IM and I'm jealous you already have one planned.

Even for me it's a bit hard to hold back from doing whatever workouts I can now. Of course I can only do leg workouts so I'm already sore. Perhaps i'll back off a bit too now and chill out.

Good luck training in hot weather. I want to do IMFL one day but live in Charleston, SC so I'm have similar issues with heat. Training for IMCDA I'd start at 6am and always ride by a store or 2 to refill. Ah the memories...
Quote Reply