Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

umbilical hernia surgery..is my season over?
Quote | Reply
My umbilical hernia that I've had for years has taken a turn for the worse and the Dr. says I have to get it fixed. Anybody out there had theirs repaired and how long was your recovery?
Quote Reply
Re: umbilical hernia surgery..is my season over? [mkellg1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a umbilical hernia that doesn't need surgery yet, thank God. Spring of '08, my brother went through this. Being that I had a similar problem, I questioned a few doctors and a little internet research. What I found was not all bad. Minor factors include, muscle tone, fat around the mid section, fitness level. Major factors included; How invasive the surgery is, infections?, How your body reacts to the surgery.

My doctor friend informed me that after about a month you could start back slowly. Listen to your doc and listen to your body. Let your doc know what kind of training you do. Ask lots of questions. Hope it works out for you. What races were you planning this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had several hernia surgery's. I agree with K-Man...good post.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your surgery laprascopic (sp?) or more invasive? I think a lot depends on that. I just had major abdominal surgery that had some similarities to a hernia in how the problem originated. My surgery was done laprascopically. I can tell you about my recovery if that helps. I had 3 weeks of no exercise, just healing. I understand that this is longer than most laprascopies, but my surgery involved a significant dissection of the abdominal muscles and abdominal wall, both of which had to heal. I then had an additional 3 weeks no running. My surgery was February 27th, and I rode Breathless Agony on May 2nd (114 miles/10-12K feet of climbing). I doubt you're done for the season, although every recovery/surgery is different and you should listen to your doctor and your own body. Talk to your doctor about adhesions post-op, a major complication of abdominal surgery. By the way, I felt GREAT after taking a rest and am cycling stronger than ever. More importantly, I am so happy not to be experiencing the pain that led to the surgery in the first place. It was all worth it. Look on the bright side and be positive about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My puppy has the same problem. The vet says they'll just fix it when they neuter him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, consider your season over. If your going to go through the effort of surgery, make sure that you heal properly. You'll be back to activity in 3-4 week. But stressing a repair too early is unwise. Laparoscopic will get you back to activity faster, but getting back to racing is another story. You do not want to stress your repair, and have a recurrence. I've performed many of these operation, and the best repair is the first one. There are many factors that go into a failed repair, but pushing too soon after hernia surgery is never good. Follow your surgeons advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a General Surgeon who performs a lot of "Belly Button" hernia repairs. Usually I ask my pts to take it easy for about 4-6 weeks, this means no lifting and no swimming. When my pts feel able to jog or get on a bike I let them do it. The risk is that the scar tissue/healing takes about 6 weeks to get to about 80% strength. Most UHR are done open instead of laprascopic because usually you only need to make a 1-2 cm incision and throw a few stitches instead of 3 .5cm incisions with mesh.
Good luck and I hope you heal quickly
RB
Quote Reply
Re: umbilical hernia surgery..is my season over? [Flat Tire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flat tire and Tridoc3, Thanks, from asking around the consensious is to go real easy coming back to training and honestly I don't mind missing this season if I don't have to deal with this again. Can I do anything other than physically be in the best shape possible before I have this done? Are there any vitamins or supplements that promote healing? Thanks again
Last edited by: mkellg1: Jun 20, 09 22:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The doc's answered your question. In my case I really did not feel up to training/surfing etc for a while after my surgery's. I've had both lap and open hernia surgery. One was umbilical. Both take some time to heal, so take it.

Good luck.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Jun 21, 09 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with tridoc3 - consider your season over. I had an inguinal hernia that was becoming hard to ignore. Running was the most uncomfortable. Very tender. It would ease off, but was always there. I decided to race IMC last year anyway and hope for the best. Fortunately, it was not an issue, but I knew I had to address it. Had laparoscopic/mesh repair in the off season in Oct. Recovery went fine, I thought complete. The fact that I could not do ab exercises without discomfort should have been a red flag. Rather than adapting I chose to ignore ab exercises altogether. Mistake 1. It caught up with me when I ramped up my training intensity and volume this spring. Running became more and more uncomfortable. I tried to push through it. Mistake 2. Grade II ab strain that has for all intents and purposes ended my season as this is not a fast healer. Lots of variables, and our bodies will handle these situations differently, of course, but I would encourage you to treat your abs very carefully and bring them up to speed s-l-o-w-l-y after the surgery. Good luck to you.
Quote Reply
Re: umbilical hernia surgery..is my season over? [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all.
Long -term lurker, first time poster, here.

Apols for resurrecting a long-dead thread, but I have just finished my recovery from an Umbilical Hernia Repair Op with Mesh and knowing that people tend to post scary negative stories about these procedures more than they post success / plain-sailing stories, I wanted to come back and drop my message of encouragement to anyone who is researching for how the op is going to impact their cycling…

Before my op I got a mixture of scared and confused by the info from cyclists that is available, so here’s my contribution for others who are going through the same experience.
Hope it helps someone.

I wrote a series of blog posts about my recovery period, but the summary is:

Firstly about me:
  • I am a lean 35 year old male who eats very healthily, doesn’t smoke or drink much alcohol
  • I race at a decent but low amateur level in the UK in TT, Crit, RoadRace & Track disciplines

Secondly, after the op:
  • I was taking mile-long walks on day two after the op
  • Very gentle turbo spinning started in week 2
  • Ramped up turbo intensity through weeks 3 and 4 but never to anything maximal
  • First committed outdoor rides started in week 5
  • Signed off by the Surgeon & Racing successfully by week 6

Here’s the link to the group of blog posts I made on the subject if you want more detail than a forum post can allow!
http://www.formofexpression.com/...ilical-hernia-repair

I hope it helps you and f eel free to reply here to ask me specific questions about my experience if you want my view; I know it can be anxiety-inducing when you are waiting to have this op!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had bilateral small inguinal hernias repaired laparoscopically with mesh by an excellent , experienced surgeon , who said I could start easy jogging in 1 week. Did some gentle recumbent bike trainer riding day 5, slow jogging day 10, swimming day 12 ( abdomen still felt tight). Worked up to routine training by week 5, did a decent Boston qualifying marathon at 8 weeks ( I am a physician and don't take big risks- your first wealth is your health).
YMMV, but your season may not be over. Follow your surgeon's advice, and find the best/most experienced surgeon.
Quote Reply
Re: umbilical hernia surgery..is my season over? [rosegarden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post, I just had the surgery last week, as of now I can't really imagine being on the bike next week but i'ts great to hear other peoples experience.
Quote Reply
Re: umbilical hernia surgery..is my season over? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my 6 week post surgery check up for umbilical hernia surgery today. I am and have been cleared for all training for a few weeks now and I feel 100%. (Still looks a little swollen and popped out)

My advice (and was the advice given by my surgeon) is to get on a treadmill and walk uphill for the first two weeks and build from there. I was given the green light to start training moderately at 3 weeks. At that point I felt ok but noticed some power loss riding indoors and swimming felt like it was tearing a hole in my stomach at first. I think somewhere in the 4-5 week I picked up the pace and mileage for everything but felt sore after some longer sessions.

It was more stressful worrying about losing fitness (mainly because I have a a few IM's this year). Best advice is to walk uphill on that treadmill at first - little stress but will break a sweat
Quote Reply
Re: umbilical hernia surgery..is my season over? [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how soon after your surgery were you hitting the treadmill? how long were you walking for?.
When did you start hitting the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: umbilical hernia surgery..is my season over? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I started walking on the treadmill exactly one week after the procedure. I started at first for 30 minutes at less than 3mph. It felt very awkward at first but I was "shocked" how each day it felt better and better. I did a 1 1/2hr walk at 4 mph with a 5 degree angle by the end of the week and even did a few quick tempo jog pickups.

I hit the bike trainer on the 14th day (about 30 minutes after visiting the surgeon who gave me the ok to start training again). I started first with a 30 minute easy spin and I wore the binder (brace) that they gave me. I started longer rides in the following days but lowered my FTP by 30pts. It was on the 5th week were I went outdoors and I never even thought about the incision.

I think the first two weeks feel awful and awkward. Once you get past that stage you quickly feel like normal and your body will tell you if you are going to hard. I think I put ice on my incision a few times after a few longer rides just to keep it from swelling up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 to the comment about how much you can notice the day by day improvement if you keep doing little bits of gentle exercise throughout the first two weeks. Little and often was my approach at first
Quote Reply
Re: umbilical hernia surgery..is my season over? [TwinkleTash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got on the treadmill 3 times so far this week for an hour, no jogging just speed walking and that was ok, I tried the spin bike at the gym, and that did not go well...

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found out this morning I will be having Epigastric surgery May 24. I am entered for IM Mont Tremblant but doubt I will be ready (13.5 weeks post surgery). I thought I could wait til the fall, but it's getting too sore. Dammit.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: umbilical hernia surgery..is my season over? [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had inguinal hernia surgery last October. I was walking a mile the day after surgery and 5 miles of hiking within the week. I started riding easy week 2, and by week 3 I was riding moderately hard. Week 4 - hard intervals.

Did I feel the repair - yes. But my doc told me that pain would be my threshold and that I wasn't risking injury by walking or riding. I didn't go back to gym and weight work until December.
Quote Reply
Re: umbilical hernia surgery..is my season over? [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks that is somewhat positive.

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is still a chance you can perform and perform well at IMMT. If you can train hard up until the day of surgery then you should be ok. You can read from my experience from above, but I am now two months post op and I just had a PR this past weekend at a local half. I will also be at IMMT and here's hoping you will be there as well (unless you are M35-39, then take your time to heal)
Last edited by: loosegroove: May 9, 16 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL. I have been training hard and will continue up to the day before the surgery. Pretty sure if IM MTB is a no go I'll be good to go for a fall IM. Thanks for the encouragement.

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can wait, then wait. I raced all of last season (road racing, not triathlons) with a hernia, and then I had the repair done in October at the end of my season.

And now for the bad news (N=1). Surgery went great and the hernia was repaired. I felt great after a month. 6 months later - I have post-op pain. The pain now is much worse than before the surgery. Yes, the hernia is gone but I have chronic pain. In hindsight, I'm wondering if I should just have watched the hernia instead of having it surgically repaired. I'd much prefer the "bump" to the pain I have now. Don't rush into surgery.

So now I have a bigger problem than the hernia. I'm hoping the pain goes away, but after 6 months the hope for that outcome is slim. I'm not sure what to do now.
Quote Reply