Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Marathon
Quote | Reply
I'm 4 weeks out from my first marathon. Any hints/warnings I should know about? Looking to avoid making stupid mistakes.
Quote Reply
Re: First Marathon [BerryFloor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's a non-local event, make sure you bring your running shoes with you, and not your cycling shoes.

Umm, not that I know anyone who would do something that silly. :-o I'm just sayin'.

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make a checklist of everything you'll need that you can use when you're getting ready.

....speaking as someone who forgot her Garmin (405) once for a trail run. Luckily we were early and not to far from home - the bf went flying back to get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you are prepared if you're close to "that" time of the month. I found out the hard way at the Boston Marathon that aid stations don't have tampons and going "old school" changes your stride.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: First Marathon [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Make sure you are prepared if you're close to "that" time of the month. I found out the hard way at the Boston Marathon that aid stations don't have tampons and going "old school" changes your stride.

huh, i typed out something all nice in here, and it didn't show up, so I'm editing :)

NUTRITION! Do you have a plan? Using the on-course nutrition or bringing your own?
Last edited by: Coyote: Jun 9, 09 10:59
Quote Reply
Re: First Marathon [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahhaa!

Body Glide every part that rubs up against a seam. I had the worst run in I don't know how long the other day when I wore a new running skirt and didn't body glide all the sensitive areas. It is hard to run when your hooha is on fire.

Don't wear new clothes for the event. See above.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: First Marathon [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It is hard to run when your hooha is on fire.
Wow, and I thought doing 4 hrs on the trainer in running shorts was unfortunate....ouch.
Quote Reply
Re: First Marathon [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah. That is a pain you NEVER want to feel. I don't know who decided a crotch seam should go where it is on the Skirt Sports running skirt but it is WRONG!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run the first 2 miles uncomfortably slow.

I've gone 26.2 many times and have yet to heed this outstanding advice... the result... immeasurable pain.
Last edited by: Gobux3: Jun 9, 09 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to break it down to make it easier to think about, like the first half = the first 20 miles and the second half = the last 6.2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
run the first mile really fast

(pink font ;-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: First Marathon [mccannathon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I like to break it down to make it easier to think about, like the first half = the first 20 miles and the second half = the last 6.2.
Since it's your first, be prepared to get mentally freaked out at some point....I did. At the half (21k, though I'd agree with the above split) all of a sudden all I could think about was the number of times in my life I'd run further than 21k, and I started counting them and freaking myself out mentally. Luckily I saw my brother at that point and he ran on the sidelines with me for a hundred metres and got me refocused, though at 30k I also started counting again the number of times I'd run further. I may be the only weirdo who was like that, but it's not a bad thing to run yourself through mentally your training and your race so if you start thinking like that, it's not a big deal for you.
Quote Reply
Re: First Marathon [Coyote] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been practicing my breakfast- power bar, which seems to sit well. Ive had problems with my night before meals. Ive had some pretty serious stomach pains during my last 2 long runs (30 & 32km's). I had to stop on my 32km run for a toilet break which I really want to avoid during the marathon. I could'nt eat during my run or stomach endura so thats a worry. I was going to take my own gels on the day & use the water/endura stations on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very excited for you. I remember finishing my first marathon and it changed my out look on things more than finishing my first ironman did. I was so convinced I couldn't do it that when I did it (with a smile on my face) I knew I could do anything i put my mind to.

Trust in your training. You've done the hard work already.

Don't worry if you feel sluggish during your taper, it's more than often just the sign of a great taper. You'll be fired up and ready to go on race morning. (Same goes with little pains that seem to show up a coupe of weeks out - 99% of the time they are NOTHING).

Drink regularly from the start. If you've train a certain way (ie ten and ones or taking in fuel every so many minutes or miles) keep it the same on race day.

Visualize yourself as a Kenyan. If you know the course visulize yourself running the course and feeling GOOD!

You may have low times during the race but don't fret too much they will pass.

I totally agree with getting the nutrition dialed in and the clothing. Go to the old standbys that have worked week after week.

Most of all be proud for all that you've accomplished. You only get one first marathon so make the most of it. This is your base marathon time so DO NOT BE CONCERNED with you time.

BEST OF LUCK! I look forward to hearing about your success.

Karen

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HAVE FUN!
this is goal number 1! after my first one, I found what hurt the next day the most were my cheeks! from smiling so much! I smiled the WHOLE way! woohoo! I am doing a MARATHON!!!!
don't be concerned with time so much, YES go out slowly at first. I find it sometimes helps to seed yourself at the back, its frustrating at times but it really will slow you down, not too much, but to a point that it kinda makes you run the first bit at a pace that you should.
And about the Period.
Mine came the day before Boston this year, 2 weeks early, of course, this NEVER happens to me, ever, but yeah, it did.
A friend gave me great advice....take 2 OB tampons, and tape them to the inside of your bib number....(this would be the point where any mens lurking will recoil in horror and never lurk again)...you won't notice them at all, and its good security.
GOOD LUCK! which marathon are you doing?
Last edited by: kbee: Jun 10, 09 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've been practicing my breakfast- power bar, which seems to sit well. Ive had problems with my night before meals. Ive had some pretty serious stomach pains during my last 2 long runs (30 & 32km's). I had to stop on my 32km run for a toilet break which I really want to avoid during the marathon. I could'nt eat during my run or stomach endura so thats a worry. I was going to take my own gels on the day & use the water/endura stations on the course.

I have found that eating a big carb meal the night before a big race is an issue...all that food is still sitting in my stomach. I eat big 2 days before a race, lighter the day before (but making sure I'm getting enough too!), and I eat an early pre-race breakfast (like 4am) plus something like gels/blocks or other that sits well about 30-60 mins before the race. Just a thought.

The GI issues are pretty common. Your stomach just rebels after tons of gels and electrolyte drinks. Keep practicing until you find the right combo for you.
Quote Reply
Re: First Marathon [Coyote] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, I never do a big dinner before
IM or a marathon....I have a hearty lunch, not too big, then graze all day, and drink.
if anything I eat a bit less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good advice so far about Body Glide, nutrition, and pacing.
Just wanted to add to soak it all in. You only get your first marathon ONCE! Look around you, remember the details, remember the pain, remember the pride. Between now and then visualize running down the finish chute and how it will feel...

I planned my first to be on my 30th birthday and it was such an amazing experience!
Have fun!!!
Quote Reply
Re: First Marathon [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thankyou for your words of wisdom, its all quite daunting. I'm doing the Gold Coast Marathon, QLD Australia. I did the half marathon there last year so I'm slightly familiar with the cousre. (which happens to be flat)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, start slow. Which leads me to the second piece of advice: avoid running with a pace group as they generally try to run even splits. I find it helpful to break the race into 5/5/5/5/6.2, with a realistic pacing plan for each segment except the last. The last 6.2, you're going to give whatever you've got left. Look at the elevation map and prepare yourself for any big hills, especially those that come later in the race. At my first marathon, there was a mile-long gradual uphill starting at mile 16. I had started the race too fast on a day that was too hot; by the time I was faced with running uphill for what seemed like forever, my goose was cooked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! SMALL world. I'm doing the Gold Coast half marathon - I have barely run since I left home six months ago so I thought it was stupid to do a full (and it's probably stupid to do a half on no training either but I never claimed to be smart). If you're in Aus send me a PM and I'll give you my mobile or home number if you're worried. I've run 11 official marathons and four at the end of the ironman's I've done so I have some experience.

Totally cool that you're doing the Gold Coast Marathon. That was my original plan when I was doing my great planning back in Canada but all these cheap aussie flights have me away most weekends and I'm not making the time to train.

What an amazing place to run your first marathon.

GOOD LUCK and maybe I'll see you July 5!

Karen

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck! :)

Others have already covered the good stuff. Only thing I could think to add is to bodyglide your feet as well and be careful about sock placement. No need to be working on a blister by mile 8.

If it looks like rain, a jumbo plastic garbage bag with holes cut in it serves well as an emergency poncho. (or alternately, you can get disposable ones for a dollar or two at discount stores)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do most of your eating the day before. Lots of carbs, not much fiber. Eat your main meal early, lightly snack and drink juice until you go to bed. Pasta salad, bananas and (filtered)apple juice are my night-before go to foods.

Look at the race like another long run. You know what its like to run longer then you ever have. You did it a bunch in training. This is nothing new.

The marathon is 20 miles of hope and 6 miles of reality. Respect the last 6. If the thought even crosses your mind that you are pushing too hard inside the first 20, slow down.

Talk to as many people as you can. Marathoners are a rather unique group of people and they usually have some really interesting stories. Conversation also makes the time pass faster and helps keep your pace where it needs to be.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply