Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Twilight- please explain the attraction [VO2Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a good thing you don't get it- Its a chick thing. The books are far better. We love the idea of someone being completely devoted to us n not being able to survive without us.
Quote Reply
Re: Twilight- please explain the attraction [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I liked this review at the LRB,
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v31/n06/turn03_.html
"Then afterwards I found myself feeling wretched, in a way I really haven’t for years and years and years. Why can’t I be freed of the need for food and sleep, why can’t I squirm exquisitely in skinny trousers, why can’t I be for ever beautiful and young? Awful memories were dislodged, of being young and full of longing – a really horrible feeling, a sickening excess of emotion with nowhere, quite, to put it."

Will's characterization is accurate I think..

A librarian at school gave the book to our 11-year-old boy. I read what he reads, but could not make any progress with it. Eventually he put it down and said 'Dad, I think this is a really bad book'.
I think you definitely have had to have gone through that "teen angst" phase, around 14-18, where every love is the truest love, and your undying devotion and passion exceeds all reason, and all your sadness and downturns are the worst ever experienced. 11 is old enough to understand the book, certainly (lord, some of the stuff I was reading at 11 kind of makes me blush even now), but not really old enough to GET the book, IMO.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Twilight- please explain the attraction [BerryFloor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's a good thing you don't get it- Its a chick thing. The books are far better. We love the idea of someone being completely devoted to us n not being able to survive without us.

That's pretty much the argument my wife keeps using. Oh yea...and she has all 4 books now. At least I can disappear on a long ride now and she doesn't notice.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: Twilight- please explain the attraction [VO2Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So my wife rented this movie and I sat through it. She thought it was "a really sexy" movie and got her all worked up.
And this is a bad thing? I would think you would be watching it every night.
Quote Reply

Prev Next