Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

skinsuit or separate top and bottom
Quote | Reply
Just want some opinions on the drawbacks / advantages of wearing a skin suit (top and bottom together) versus separate top and bottom. I have been on separate tops and bottoms for no particular reason but have seen some things on sale and am looking to expand my sports clothing wardrobe...

anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: skinsuit or separate top and bottom [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For shorter races (maybe just above Oly and less), a skinsuit would be okay, or if you have no philosophical problems peeing in your shorts. The only real disadvantage I can come up with is the whole inconvenience of a bathroom break. Small but very real aero advantage to a one-piece. It's a trade-off that only you can resolve for yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The full tri skin suits definately have their advantages and their fans.

I have always been a fan of seperates for the following reasons:

- They can make relieveing yourself easier - just drop the drawers

- Better ventilation

- Can change into fresh/different top for the run( believe me in a long race this can be huge)

- You can more easily customize top(s) worn for weather conditions hot/cold etc. . .

- You can customize tops for function - on the bike tight fitting and aero with pockets with good sun protection then on then loose fitting and comfortable top for the run.

- and so on . .

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My .02 is for everything half Ironman and below go with a one piece suit that fits you nice and maybe has one small pocket. Wear a number belt and put it on before you put your wetsuit on and you won't have to bother to put it on during the race. For Ironman distance- I go with a seperate top and bottom. Usually I wear a triathlon brief under a pair of tri shorts and a sleeveless triathlon jersey with a couple pockets on the bike then pull the tri shorts off and pull on a shorty singlet for the run and wear a super small fanny pack or fuel-belt type thing for the run. I don't like wearing a lot below the waste during an Ironman run since you're usually dumping cups over your head so your clothing is trapping a bunch of water and can get all saggy and soaked and also I'll inevitably have to pee during the run and I don't stop to do it, I just let it rip while I'm running. Although I was OK with it when I was 2 (I'm told) I don't like running around soaked in my own pee too much anymore so a triathlon brief (Speedo type thing) dries faster and helps me keep that "fresh" feeling.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
personally, i like the skinsuit. To me it is more comfortable, and i jest have that 'fast feel'. As said up top though, you might need a 2 piece to take a leak.... it is possible with the 2 piece, but you would have to stop definately.
Quote Reply
Re: skinsuit or separate top and bottom [P2kman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had been wearing two piece suits, but i got tired of having a little strip of sunburn above my shorts and below my top. So i got the skinsuit by RNH, also i figured, if i got really hot, i could pull down the top and run (although i never did this). The problem with the bathroom, its not huge but its there. You either pee your pants, which i did on the bike once at a 1/2 IM, or i pulled out mr jimmy through the leg of the suit on the run a couple of times. I guess theres an aero advantage---but its not one youre going to feel. This year, i went back to a 2 piece set up, i wanted the Power material Desoto uses, but i didnt want their 2 piece (dont like the color blocking).

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll vote for the 2 piece. I've tried on the single peice suits and don't like the feel. Probably for the same reason that I want to try out a 2 piece wetsuit to improve the fit. I like the two piece since you can go with a tight top for sprint races or a more loosely fitting top (I use the RnH Long Course top) when doing longer races.
Quote Reply