Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

road bike recommendations
Quote | Reply
Posted this on the tri forum but I figure there are probably more 5'2" women on this board.

I've always ridden a tri bike but now I have a back injury so I'm looking to buy a new road bike. I'd love to get recommendations from all you smart people. I'm 5"2 (almost) and will use the bike mostly for training but maybe for an IM race in the future depending on how the back injury goes. I also have 650's.
Quote Reply
Re: road bike recommendations [kath21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the back injury, maybe it would be better to get a fit on a SizeCycle and find out what settings are most comfortable, then translate that to bikes with that geometry?

Outside of that, I think Blue makes a mighty fine road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: road bike recommendations [Coyote] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I like both of them. My problem is I always fall in love with the $6000 Felt bike first and then have to talk myself out of spending that much on a bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'3 and previously rode a Specialized Ruby but just got a Cervelo R3 (48) and love it! The frame is so light and I feel so much more comfortable on it than my previous bike. I have always used 700s so I can't speak to 650s.

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I like both of them. My problem is I always fall in love with the $6000 Felt bike first and then have to talk myself out of spending that much on a bike!

Ha! I hear you. I am in love with the $10,000 Felt track bike.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Posted this on the tri forum but I figure there are probably more 5'2" women on this board.

I've always ridden a tri bike but now I have a back injury so I'm looking to buy a new road bike. I'd love to get recommendations from all you smart people. I'm 5"2 (almost) and will use the bike mostly for training but maybe for an IM race in the future depending on how the back injury goes. I also have 650's.
When I bought my (48cm) Felt B2, I chose to keep my (48cm) Cervelo Dual and installed drop bars & STI on it. It was the easiest way to get a road bike with 650s.
My suggestion, find or keep your tri bike, just install drop bars & STI. When you ready to do an IM, just swap everything back to normal ...Is easy & cheaper that buying a new bike...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: road bike recommendations [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - I never would have thought of that, thanks for the idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second that idea. I also kept my first tri bike (with 650c wheels) and just switched out the cockpit to make it a road bike. Very few companies make road bikes with 650c wheels these days. I then bought my Cervelo P2C in the 48cm size with 650c wheels. So now I have the best of both worlds and got to keep my wheels!
Quote Reply
Re: road bike recommendations [gwaveswims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again - I really think I'm going to do this! I have wanted a new tri bike more than a road bike so this would be a perfect solution.
Quote Reply
Re: road bike recommendations [Alexia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not an expert here but wouldnt the geometry be way off?
I only ride a road bike from sprints to IM. Although I am a little taller 5'5, I find the women's geometry works great for me...never uncomfortable. Depends on your body though, the shorter top tube works well for me.
Quote Reply
Re: road bike recommendations [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not an expert here but wouldnt the geometry be way off?
I only ride a road bike from sprints to IM. Although I am a little taller 5'5, I find the women's geometry works great for me...never uncomfortable. Depends on your body though, the shorter top tube works well for me.
Yeah, some would argue that it doesn't work, there has been several threads in the main forum on this subject. However, I flipped my Cervelo Dual to a road bike a year & half ago, and I may be sitting a little more upright than on a true road bike, but other than that, it's been working quite well (I've done several 100+ km rides with this set up). I guess it also depends on the tri bike. It works well with a Cervelo Dual, but I wouldn't do it with a Felt B2 for example...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply