Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

California Voters - Prop. 62
Quote | Reply
This is a blatantly political post for the California people.

If you love democracy and want to stick your thumb in the eye of the political parties that waste millions of taxpayer dollars on primary elections that only serve to benefit these PRIVATE organizations, then I want to encourage you to vote against Prop. 60 and FOR Prop. 62.

Prop. 62 would give California an open primary, where any candidates that wants to run for office can throw their hat in the same ring, and only the top two vote getters - regardless of political party - will end up on the ballot in November. The voters get to choose candidates regardless of their registered political party - heck, the whole concept of a registered political party becomes moot. The measure is backed by Republicans and Democrats who want change, like Leon Panetta, Steve Westley, Dick Riorden and Arnold.

Prop. 60 was created by the legislature to counter Prop. 62. It basically would re-affirm the status quo, where we, the taxpayers, will continue to fund pointless primary elections that only benefit political parties, which are PRIVATE organizations. If you want change, you must vote NO on Prop. 60.

Thanks for your time.
Quote Reply
Re: California Voters - Prop. 62 [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you love democracy and want to stick your thumb in the eye of the political parties

I'm not from California, and your post is all I know about this proposition. But it seems to me like the biggest beneficiaries are the Republican and Democratic parties. They'll never have to deal with a third party candidate ever again.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: California Voters - Prop. 62 [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any candidate, regardless of party, will be on the ballot in the primary. It is very likely that in some areas, you will find a Democrat and a Green going head to head in November - especially in California.

Also, it will tend to make the government a bit more moderate. The current process favors far right or far left candidates, but with an open system, a moderate candidate that appeals to both moderate Republicans and Clinton Democrats will actually stand a chance.
Quote Reply
Re: California Voters - Prop. 62 [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will California fall into the ocean any time soon?
Quote Reply
Re: California Voters - Prop. 62 [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only if Prop 60 passes.
Quote Reply