Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new to forum; need immediate bike help
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have been looking for a bike for a few weeks now. I live in a very remote area so it has all been online. I did go to a LBS (90 miles away) but I need to buy used rather than new. I am certain that I need a 54 WSD due to body measurements. I need to make a decision before going to bed and need help!!!

This bike is on Ebay closing soon. It is within driving distance for me so I wouldn't have the shipping costs. Low mileage, decent entry level bike??? Yes??? ;) http://cgi.ebay.com/...mp;item=180346604036 I was thinking I could place a snipe bid on it.

The other is a 2006 Specialized Ruby Comp. It has about 5000 miles on it but has been very well maintained. It was offered to me privately from a triathlete for about $600.

My first sprint Tri is in 10 wks and I really want/need to get a bike. I just don't have enough knowledge to feel like I am making a good decision here. Which is the better bike? Imho (and very inexperienced) the Ruby has the better components and frame, etc, but it also has a lot higher mileage.

Anybody online that can help with some advice?

Thanks
Last edited by: ranchrunner: Apr 20, 09 22:22
Quote Reply
Re: new to forum; need immediate bike help [ranchrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know its a bit late but I would go with the ruby. Your right the components look better on the ruby and I would not be that worried about miles. You may have to replace some cables but if its as well maintained as you say then probably not.

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply
Re: new to forum; need immediate bike help [suparuki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are still 2 more hours before the Trek bike auction ends. Any more wisdom for a newbie?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with supraruki. But either bike should be fine.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: new to forum; need immediate bike help [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the other two posters. I'd be more confident with a bike from someone I knew (assuming you know this triathlete) than from ebay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what did you decide to do?
Quote Reply
Re: new to forum; need immediate bike help [julieb2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for not getting back to the forum sooner to let you all know what I ended up with. I got the Specialized Ruby Comp. It should be here on Thursday and then I will be off to the LBS to get it fit. I am so excited to start training on it.

Thanks for your help. It truly did sway my decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Ruby has about that many miles on it; it's still purring as if brand-new. It's like riding butter. You won't regret it!
Quote Reply
Re: new to forum; need immediate bike help [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike arrived yesterday, I took it to the LBS where they set it up and did a custom fit. They were all awed at the deal I got on the bike and it is just perfect. Had hoped to get out for a ride today but it is raining....hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for the support and help, Ladies!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent! When you get a chance post a pic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: new to forum; need immediate bike help [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry it took so long, but finally here is a pic of my new bike! I love it! Just need to get more confident about riding.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanky! Confidences comes with mileage. Seriously, nice looking steed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply