Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

51/49 Who wins?
Quote | Reply
Obviously this doesn't really matter b/c of the electoral college......

But, I kinda think it's odd that the country is literally split b/w these two candidates. Not trying to be political....but Bush/Kerry are worlds apart on issues. A near 50-50 split? Is the US THAT divided as a country? Perhaps we need another Civil War? A 51% majority doesn't really seem to do the system justice if we are that much at odds regarding public policies. You'ld think 2/3 majority vote would clearly identify the best candidate....similair to an over riding veto power. Too bad the Independent party can't get any traction.....

On a side note, I do have a philosophical question.....

Do you vote for who would be the best president for the country....or do you vote for the candidate that puts YOU in a better position.

For example - Welfare.

I'm not on welfare, I make a 6 figure income. But, I feel pretty darn bad for some people and humbled by my situation. I contribute to charity, take my deduction and volunteer at a homeless shelter once a month through church (on a side note, I have 2 homeless guys training for a marathon next year!).

Clearly, liberals put more $ into domestic programs......but I don't need them. Personally, I just need less tax burden (single/no kids).

Should I vote for what I feel is best....or what is best for ME?

Isn't democracy based upon EACH person voting? If so...how do they vote, for THEIR position or what they feel is the best position for someone else?
Last edited by: Smitty8: Oct 24, 04 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: 51/49 Who wins? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone votes for different reasons, some of which don't have anything to do with what's best for anyone. Some people vote for the best candidate. Some vote for their party. some vote for the candidate who supports a particular policy or platform. Some vote based on who their friends are voting for. Some vote not for anyone, but against someone. The things that determine why someone votes a certain way are virtually limitless.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: 51/49 Who wins? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All True....but how should one vote?

When you turned 18 and got your registration card and/or took your civic's class, which way were you taught?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as this election is concerned, I don't see the distinction. You would be had pressed to find a president that put more money into domestic programs, or into any kind of program for that matter. The doors to the Treasury have been open for years.

I am very disappointed, but you would think liberals would be happy. They aren't though. No matter how much you spend, it is never enough. Give them more money than they ask for, and you wil be attacked for not giving enough.

With the baby boom generation retiring soon, this process can't continue much longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I vote on who I think will be the best President. As a member of the military, CinC is a yardstick I probably place some emphasis on, but not to the exclusion of other factors. I don't necessarily think that the guy who supports my policies will necessarily be the best President. However, I vote for the guy who best represents my views and is best qualified to lead. Unfortunately this year, neither one seems to fit the bill that well.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: 51/49 Who wins? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I am very disappointed, but you would think liberals would be happy. They aren't though. No matter how much you spend, it is never enough."

To a leftist it is not about their programs it's about the power. Bush gave them everything they wanted but the problem was he was the wrong party. It shows the shallowness of the left.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: 51/49 Who wins? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"To a leftist it is not about their programs it's about the power. Bush gave them everything they wanted but the problem was he was the wrong party. It shows the shallowness of the left. "

as opposed to the lack of focus of the right to allow their candidate to bow to liberal policies?

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: 51/49 Who wins? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call the Republicans shallow as much as I would call them cowards. Where as the left will d anything to keep there power the Republicans will bend over just to not be called mean names. The sell out their beliefs in the delusional hope that the left and the press will stop slamming them.

Poor poor little cowards.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: 51/49 Who wins? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>>Bush gave them everything they wanted

Patriot act/christian coalition agenda/... blah...
Quote Reply