Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zoloft + training
Quote | Reply
I don't post much, but I am a frequent lurker... I've done some searches for depression and meds on the forum but there's only been a couple on Zoloft. I recently went through a big life change - graduated college, moved across the country for work to somewhere I'd never lived before, and started my first job. I also started training for my first IM - Lake Placid. I've had on-and-off depression since high school but this is the worst it's ever gotten. This is the first time I've felt so low that I didn't even want to train, which is something I usually love doing. So I finally gave in and got some meds. A new doctor since I just moved here, she kind of scoffed when I told her I was a triathlete and just told me I was underweight, but she did give me a prescription for Zoloft. I was wondering if anyone else has taken this or anything similiar while doing intense training and were there any ill effects? I read it can make you even more tired and that doesn't sound so good...
Quote Reply
Re: Zoloft + training [amy1816] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had any problems. I just got on it a couple months ago and haven't seen any negative side effects to my training. Just get good sleep and eat well and you should be OK.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can offer experience with other meds - similar ones I think. Is Zoloft an SSRI?

In my experience- Paxil eased anxiety but caused weight gain. I felt like a marshmallow. Switched to Lexapro, no side effects, like that very much.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Zoloft + training [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Zoloft is an SSRI ... I'm kind of worried about that marshmallow-y feeling too. How much were you training at the time you were on it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like the benefits of being on it outweight the potential risks. You already don't feel like training. How much worse can the meds make it Take the meds. If it isn't right for you your Dr. can change it.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At some points, merely running 20 miles a week... other times, training 15 hrs a week. Marshmallow-chick both times (like a peep ;-)

Lexapro is known for not causing side effects. Check the specific side effects of Lexapro and see if you can dig up the stats on how many people experience what from its clinical trials.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind though, that you're a bit more sensitive to the weight thing than some others....so while you may "feel" marshmallow-y (which is a brilliant description of my everyday life....and a term I'm shamelessly stealing) it might not necessarily be the case - or be as drastic as your perception, correct?

I read the depression threads with interest. I battle it (undiagnosed officially) and do ok on my own, but think that a med could probably make a bit more of a difference..or at least level me out a bit. I just worry about the random ends of what it would do, if it would be the right one, etc. etc.

Just wanted to make sure we're on the same page when we qualify "weight gain" and "marshmallow"....=)

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Zoloft + training [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was definitely marshmallowy - my coach at the time would agree. I was more sensitive to it than others but it was a very real thing.

Wish I had thought of the marshmallow peep image then, would've made it easier to handle. Like right now I refer to body fat as "puppy fat" or "swimmer puppy fat" ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Zoloft + training [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny thing is I've semi-followed TC through all the running/tri forums... I used to read Runner World's Forum when I was in high school. And also from what I can gauge from her posts, I'm only a year older than her I think. And I am also very sensitive to weight (there are lots of marshmallow-y days) - undiagnosed eating disorder in mid high school years because my parents refused to believe their daughter could have issues.

I think I am just mostly tired of feeling down all the time. I went through 2008 feeling really good most of the time and now that I know how it feels to feel good, I want that feeling back. But I am also worried about the side effects, etc., which is why I came here to ask about it. I thought I could cope but when I started wanting to sleep all the time and not ever get out of bed I realized I wasn't doing a good job of fixing myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to say this again: Take the medication. You are worrying about something that isn't guarenteed to happen. You have admitted you need help so take care of yourself. Any slight weight gain seems to me would be worth feeling good about yourself and enjoying training again.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 22.

I disagree with Jen a bit; for me, the weight gain and mashmallowness on Paxil made me as "unhappy" as the anxiety had. But that's why I found a different med.

You do, however, need to enter the process of trying different meds, it may take a bit but chances are good that you can find one that will make you feel better, not turn you into a Peep, or any other side effects.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the weight gain and mashmallowness on Paxil made me as "unhappy" as the anxiety had. But that's why I found a different med.
That's pretty much exactly what I am afraid of, but I will try the med and see what happens. Thanks for all the advice!

And I'm 23, btw. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
older... smarter... wiser... but only by a year

good luck, keep us posted, PM me whenever if you need to.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm used to the marshmallow feeling :-)

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: Zoloft + training [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My current annoyance is the quad muscle developing from cycling. Apparently riding fast (fast being relative, I still suck on the bike compared to most I bet ;-) means quad muscle, my legs are looking less runway modelish and I do not like it.

Whining over. That aside I truly am enjoying the lots and lots of training and the speed with it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be proud of muscle, you've earned it. What is more important, being a powerful athlete or model skinny?

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: Zoloft + training [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This issue would probably go away if I could find some triathlete modeling jobs. Hmmmmm

I dislike the word "powerful"

replace it with "fast" and I'll take that answer though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on Zoloft (actually a generic sertraline) now. I probably come from a similar background to you and TC. I'm 22, have been battling depression on and off, mostly on, since '03ish, went through a pretty bad anorexia phase '05-'06. I'm about to graduate college (a year late) and then I'll be moving to CO where I don't know anyone at all for business school and accounting work. I've been on several antidepressants and none of them made me gain weight or feel marshmallowy. I was at my lowest scary weight when I was on Prozac. Celexa didn't have any effect whatsoever on me. I am allergic to Welbutrin. Now I am on Zoloft. Everyone's depression is different, so my symptoms and side affects could be well off from yours. I also have some Asperger's syndrome-like symptoms - whether or not enough to get an official diagnosis, not sure, don't care, doesn't matter. My psychiatrist says that Zoloft tends to raise energy levels more than other antidepressants (for me we were looking for something that would raise my energy levels without making me lose weight). My depression symptoms are hypersomnia, complete lack of motivation to train or work, I completely wall off my emotions from everyone, and I don't eat. However, my eating disorder was based around control and just a general dislike of eating rather than body image - when I spiral off into a major depressive episode, I don't eat because I lack the motivation to get food, I just don't like eating, and because it feels like the one thing I can control. So far, '08 has been great. Right now the plan is to stay on the Zoloft through the fall until I get settled into CO Springs, make friends, etc and then taper off. Sometimes I worry that when people read posts like this from me that they think I'm a total lunatic. I can't really tell you how Zoloft has affected my training because I haven't been training all that much lately, but I haven't noticed any difference for the training I have done while on it. The only adverse affect I had was when I restarted it suddenly (200mg) after a break (when I'm super depressed, I get lazy about taking my antidepressants...)I felt nauseated all the time for a few days. Good luck!

"When the going gets tough, get going!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like you have gotten a lot of good feedback on the side effects of the meds. But as someone who works in the mental health field (disclaimer-in the marketing end) I wonder if you might want to re-think your choice of doctors. A good clinician will not scoff and tell you that you are underweight; she will address your concerns for your training quality as a part of treatment. You might call around and see if you can find one who understands athletes and their needs. Of course if you're like most of us your insurance dictates who you can see, so you may be out of luck, but it's a thought.
Best of luck to you.

"A merry heart doeth good like medicine." (Proverbs 17:22)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on the other end of the issue as a student-soon-to-be-healthcare-provider. I've had the opportunity to work with a lot of patients who are starting an antidepressant for the first time. Don't hesitate to ask your doc these questions, they should take the time to address your concerns. Just about all of the individuals that I've worked with have had many similar questions.

Zoloft is a good medication with relatively low side effects. Zoloft is a commonly used medication, so there is a lot of data available about side effects. Paxil is well known for the weight gain issue (many providers that I've been working with don't prescribe it very often for that reason). Lexapro is also a good option. When money is an issue, I often recommend Citalopram because it is basically Lexapro (Lexapro only contains the s-enantiomer or active metabolite, Citalopram is a racemic mixture. Citalopram is on Walmart's $4 list). Wellbutrin is often a good medication for an individual with depression but no anxiety and many people say they feel motivated to get things accomplished while they are on this medication.

Having said all that, everyone is different. What may be a very good medication for one person may not be good for another. Don't give up using an antidepressent just because one of them does not work for you. There are many options available. Try to continue exercising, because that usually a very good coping mechanism. Again, don't hesitate to talk more with your doc about this stuff, after all that's what you're paying him/her the big bucks for. :)

Take care!
Quote Reply