Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Doing an Ice Bath When You Have Reynaud's
Quote | Reply
Not possible, right?

I recently tried it, and mind you I have somewhat mild Reynaud's (this is a phenomenon when you get super cold, sometimes blotchy hands and feet). I know nobody enjoys these, but this was ripping, unbearable pain, just to put my feet in. I made it one minute.

Is there another alternative? Although I'm sure my legs would not enjoy it, the sticking point is getting past my FEET. First aid style ice pack on quads?

Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: Doing an Ice Bath When You Have Reynaud's [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ice packs you can wrap on would be a good alternative.

I've never had Reynaud's (though I did get misdiagnosed with it once when I had a pinched nerve in my elbow). That said, the hardest part of an ice bath for me - it's SOOOO painful - is my feet. I can't keep them in for much more than a minute (if that) which means my legs aren't always fully submerged, but I just find it too painful and I have to keep taking them in and out.

Sitting in the bath while it fills might help the foot pain - you could try that. .

Otherwise, and this just occured to me - when I backpack, as lightweight footwear around camp I have neoprene booties (http://www.mec.ca/...;bmUID=1238159898334). I might stick those on next time since they should keep my feet warm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, neoprene booties work great.

I don't do full-leg ice baths but I do soak my lower legs in them occasionally. I put on my dive booties and my feet can't tell that they are in ice water.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pour warm/hot water over your feet. Works for me (I don't have Reynauld's, my feet just get way too cold).

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think their is a lot of nonsense regarding the efficacy of ice baths - at the USOC in CO Springs the "cold bath" is about 48F. The exercise physiologist who ran that clinic was emphatic that ice baths have a more negative effect.
Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Doing an Ice Bath When You Have Reynaud's [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should say - I've actually never put ice in my ice bath. I just call it that :blush: Really I just run a bath with cold water only. My feet still have trouble.
Quote Reply
Re: Doing an Ice Bath When You Have Reynaud's [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - as I was thinking about your condition I was wondering if neoprene booties would assist - the type divers wear???
Just a thought.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too have Reynaud's (starting to feel like the poster child for every condition everyone posts - I swear I'm not a hypochondriac!)

In all seriousness, I just won't do ice baths. No way. Not worth it. Ice packs, ie frozen peas, on the knees or achilles if need be, but for me it's not worth putting myself through the pain of an ice bath.
Quote Reply
Re: Doing an Ice Bath When You Have Reynaud's [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL Elsa. I don't recall reading too many "illness" posts from you...anyway lots of people have Reynaud's. If Feman is right and ice baths are overrated we aren't missing much. :-P

Thx for the replies everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I dont recall hypochondriac posts from Elsa! but Weride, you have celiacs, right? or someone in your family? you had all the awesome posts and PMs about that. Well then maybe you do know this already but Raynauds is associated with celiac? its one of those other things like hypothyroid, etc, not necessarily an indicator or symptom but yet another joy.
I also thing the ice bath thingie is overrated. You don't 'need' to do it. It is helpful. I take a super cold shower towards the end of my nice hot shower and do it for as long as I can stand it. Also, I sit with ice packs on my feet watching TV after a long effort, unless it bugs me. I find I get Raynauds more in my hands, just recently in the feet but that was only when running in the cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Reynauds, I can ice bath for short periods though and only in the summer, cold tub water and one or two trays of ice, it's not a super ice bath but it's close.
I use compression socks post run. They work great for me.

Quote Reply
Re: Doing an Ice Bath When You Have Reynaud's [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have it as well, I'm actually on Calcium Channel Blockers for this. What else is everyone doing or taking in order to control this?
Quote Reply
Re: Doing an Ice Bath When You Have Reynaud's [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have Raynaud syndrome. It has been a tough winter ! Ice bath = torture.

I also have celiac. I never knew there was a connection?! Would it be related to the lack of absorption of certain vitamins or minerals for the nerves?

I would rather ice my legs with ice packs than risk another attack of the white hands and feet! I get really sore after when blood starts flowing again. Blue and sore. It is all about keeping my "core" warm. In a ice bath, my core would get cold and that is the end ...

http://www.arthelenegirard.com/
Painting training always ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had success by keeping my core very warm while sitting in the ice bath. Also consider a knit cap.
The other one, which is less apt to trigger a response, is to stand in the shower and run cold water on just my legs. When it starts to trigger I go back to warm (not hot). By keeping my core out of the cold it really helps.
Quote Reply