Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

just need a place to vent
Quote | Reply
First I will start by saying that I am an animal lover and an owner of 3 dogs and have owned many between me, my family and my girlfriend's family. There are dogs everywhere in my family and are big source of laughs and the topic of many discussions in our home.

This morning on my to work I am going down a 3 lane highway at 65 mph and as I am going down the road I see in front of me a dog on the highway. It is 10 am so not rush hour and people are moving at speed but also not so busy that people couldn't stop safely. I thought the dog would make it, so much so I was planning on how to get out of the center lane to pull over to try to catch the dog. (I am known for always stopping to pickup loose dogs and carry a leash and treats in my car. )

As I was thinking about pulling over, I see that the people ahead of me didn't stop, hell not sure they slowed down, and hit this dog. The dog was pushed across the left lane up against the jersey barrier. The people didn't appear to slow and definitley didn't stop. As I went by I slowed down to see if there was anything I could do for the dog, althoug I was sure he was dead. He was, and I am glad for that. I hope he died instantly because I have experienced a dog suffering and dieing in my lap on the way to the vet once. That dog was 6 months old and had jumped the fence for the first time. That driver left her to die on the side of the road without stopping too. Oh, and while I slowed down to make sure the dog was dead, the guy behind me FU*king honked at me then went speeding by me! I hope Mr important made it wherever he needed to be, dickhead!

I know there are people out there who think dogs are just dogs and no big deal or they would say you couldn't do anything but why will no one stop? I can 't tell you how many times I stop to help a dog and no one will even ask if I want help. I know we are all busy and sometimes you just can't do anything but most don't even try.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed a place to vent it a little and just disturbed by the fact that people don't stop to try to help and even more so that they don't slow down or stop when they do hit a dog, it is a living thing and someones pet. Sometimes it is hard to be optimistic about people:(
Quote Reply
Re: just need a place to vent [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too angry to respond intelligently...

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good on you for stopping...I've never hit anything bigger than a bird or a squirrel but I often wonder what to do if I did? I couldn't imagine seeing the animal thrashing around after getting hit and not doing anything but I'm sure people do it all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you!!!

Having grown up with dogs (and love them) stories like that leave me with a sick feeling in my stomach.

At the end of last week, I read a horrible story about a man (can't remember the state) But the police showed up to shut down this guy's puppymill and what does he do? runs into the barn with a pipe and starts senselessly beating the defenseless dacshunds (weiner dogs) to death... All told I believe 4 died and 3 were seriously injured. He even grabbed a few and threw them against the fence.

Sorry to infuriate you guys even more... But I was ready to scream when read this. And I feel the need to vent... You know what's also infuriating? This waste of space was let out on like 2,000 dollars bail.

You know i'm not a violent guy, but I wonder if this guy should be pounded over the head with a pipe and thrown against a fence by his legs... Rot in hell.

sorry about the outburst guys... I guess I should have taken the advice of a previous poster who said he was too angry to speak intelligently... me too
Quote Reply
Re: just need a place to vent [eastcoasttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks you guys, sometimes I feel like I am the only one that gets angry or depressed about this. My girlfriend spent time in college working for an animal hospital and then for a national animal welfare agency and was involved in investigating puppy mills and abuse. The stories are endless and horrible some are outright abuse and deserve serious attention and punishment. Here in CO we now have felony animal abuse laws, but people just don't think that beating a puppy with a bat is serious.

The non profit she worked for had a group that studied the link between those who abuse animals and are violent to humans. It is direct, serious and scary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife would have chased down the person who hit the dog and given him/her an ear-full. She has incredibley strong empathy for animals. I'm like you. I'd have been really pissed, but would not have even thought about going after the person until I made sure the dog was either okay or beyond help.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I commend you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People are terribly senseless. Unfortunately these days in FL we're more worried about people getting run down and left for dead. Happens just about every week it seems.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate it more when this happens:

Van flips, killing 3, injuring 10

Driver of vehicle swerved to avoid hitting dog on U.S. Highway 17

BY EDWARD C. FENNELL
Of The Post and Courier Staff

JACKSONBORO--A North Carolina mother, her 6-year-old son and her mother-in-law were killed and 10 others injured Sunday night after a rental van swerved to avoid hitting a dog on U.S. Highway 17 south and flipped several times.

Constance Henderson and her mother-in-law Alice Henderson died at the scene, Charleston County Chief Deputy Coroner Rae Wooten said. Six-year-old Aaron Henderson was pronounced dead at Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital at 8:10 p.m., more than an hour after the 7 p.m. accident just south of Old Jacksonboro Road. All three were from North Carolina, Wooten said.

The 10 injured passengers were taken to three area hospitals for treatment, said Capt. Dana Valentine of the Charleston County Sheriff's Office.

Several people were ejected, including one who died, she said.

"It's just a horrible, horrible situation," Valentine said.

"All of the children were screaming, 'My momma, my momma,' " said a woman who ran outside after hearing the crash from inside her mother's nearby home. "We heard a breaking sound for a good while and then we heard a bam," said the woman, who refused to give her name.

"I just tried to comfort them and I prayed for them," the woman said, while noting that it was the worst accident her parents said they had seen on that stretch of road in the 40 years they have lived there.

Valentine said some of the survivors have "significant injuries," but she didn't know if any of them were life-threatening.

The van was a rental from North Carolina, Valentine said, and the identities of the occupants and their destination were not known Sunday.

Twelve of the van's occupants are related; the other is a family friend, Valentine said. They are from several states and were on vacation in the Charleston area.

Rescue workers had to cut the van apart to reach two victims, Valentine said.

"It's really too early to have a whole lot of information right now," she said. "We have deputies all over the place trying to contact these people and find out who they are and where they're from."

Scores of emergency personnel swarmed the scene, aiding the injured amid the scattered clothing, books, glass and other debris that littered the highway, illuminated by flood lights.

At least five ambulances and the Meducare helicopter responded.

Traffic was backed up for miles for several hours as emergency rescue crews tended the injured and dying and police investigators began trying to piece together the sequence of events leading up to the deadly accident.

The driver, who survived the crash, braked for a dog on the highway and lost control, according to statements from the driver and a witness, Valentine said. The dog apparently escaped injury and ran off.

The dark-colored van came to rest right side up after flipping several times.

Survivors were taken to St. Francis, Roper and Medical University hospitals.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: just need a place to vent [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand your point and I agree that swirving to miss a animal (or person for that matter) and that manuever resulting in the death of the people in the car is horrible. My point wasn't and isn't that you should kill yourself or put others in danger to avoid any object in the road.

In this particular situation there was ample time to stope safely if everyone was paying attention. I don't know if there were not or were and just didn't care, in any case it is poor form. If you hit a living thing in the road you should stop. Period.
Quote Reply
Re: just need a place to vent [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, we seem to have had a number of those lately here in CO too. I guess it follows if people will do it to another human they will certainly do it to a dog. Just horribly sad and depressing to me.
Quote Reply