Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IBS and Training
Quote | Reply

Hi my name is Doudou and I have IBS

And! I am having the most horrible time for the past few months.

It actually has been years but sometimes it flares up more than others.

I have tried numerous diet and the latest being to cut all gluten, wheat, cereals from my diet. It has worked in the past but I am not 100% sure it was that. I gradually when back to eating some, not much gluten and wheat products. I now have to resume to my strict diet.

Horrible daily occurrence of IBS : Bloating, pain, feeling like there is an alien living in my bowels, humongous amounts of gas and no it is not even funny and having to go to the washroom every 5 minutes kind of things. Total agony.

I am training for my first Iroman. Frankly, the training is no sweat compare to what I have to endure every day with IBS.
If it ever clears up, things will be heavenly.

Do you have similar experiences? Do you just suck it up? Should I just suck it up?

It is affecting my training.

How can I go for a 3 hours ride and 45 minutes run when I can't even deal with myself right before the start?

I got numerous tests done but nothing is showing up except that my iron was extremely low last year and my cholesterol is at the top max... but because I am active, the good cholesterol is winning over the bad cholesterol. Other than that my hormones are total wreck but that doesn't bother me.

I am not overweight 5'7" 122lbs

Sharing your stories and advice would be appreciated!

:0)
Quote Reply
Re: IBS and Training [Doudou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you eat

Dairy?
Red Meat?
fried foods?
drink caffeine?
drink alcohol?

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: IBS and Training [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much dairy. I have tried the enzymes for dairy products intolerance. Doesn't do anything
Rarely eat red meat.
Coffee yes in the morning. Have to try that one.
Alcool no
Fried food no no no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried any meds? Bentyl totally changed my life. I reccommend talking to your doctor about options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Is it possible you suffer from a food allergy or even candida? Just wondering if you've seen a naturopath to able more certain of the issue - doctors get taught very little about nutrition as they are there to "fix" things - a naturopath may be able to get to the root cause. I was having a lot of trouble at the start of last year with similar issues to you. I decided to see a naturopath, got a couple of tests done and found that over the years (as a result of maybe a couple of rounds of antibiotics a decade ago) my gut was inhabited mostly by bad bacteria which were causing the symptoms you describe. I also had an excess amount of the candida bacteria, causing sugar cravings, hypoglycemic issues, gas, bloating, mental lethargy etc. So I went off the foods I was initially resistant too (there were many, it was hard) then after a month got retested and found I could include more foods. I was also put on some liver-cleansing herbs. After 4months we had narrowed my food issues to sugar, wheat and chocolate (boo hoo!!) with a "dairy" cautionary. By that time I was feeling great, it was so nice to be able to not be afraid of going to a social event for fear of becoming too familiar with the bathroom or nearly doubled over in pain trying to withhold rather unsociable gas :) !!! Anyway if there is one in your area I recommend seeing a naturopath or naturopathic doctor. It'll be worth the cost if they can find the solution....good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Doudou. My name is Leloo, and I have IBD (ulcerative colitis, specifically).

Trust me, I know all about tummy troubles during both training and everyday life. I haven't even thought about racing for the past two years because of my stupid stomach. Work is a nightmare, as most lab work that I do requires that I wear a containment suit and the closest bathroom is 20 minutes of decontamination away. Last night I got up between 15 and 20 times to go (I stopped counting when I hit #8 at 2AM).

Although I have not really considered racing, staying active is a pretty important part of me dealing with UC, both mentally and physically. Typically I just suck it up. Lately it has meant walking to trails near my neighborhood to run or running at night and taking 1 or 2 dives into the bushes each time. For swimming, I warm up slowly, wait for that 'uh oh' feeling, get out, take care of business, and then get back to training. I do most of my riding on my trainer at home, so that is no big deal. Do you know if you start to feel better after an initial 'clearing' of the system early in the workout? It is so hard for me to get started, but I know that once I'm past that point, things should be OK.

As for diet, I started my first try with gluten free as of 4 hours ago. I'm a little worried, though, as I tend to eat very very clean and dropped to 112 lbs in the fall with no effort at all (I'm also 5'7"). I pretty much stopped working out the past few months and started eating poorly and am back up to 125 ...I feel AWFUL!!! The bloating, morning 'food hangovers', urgency, and general crap feelings are making me crazy.

Have you tried probiotics? There is a new one out called Align that is a different type of bacteria than most. I have read of a bunch of people with IBS having great success with it. I was on it for a month, and my lower left quadrant pain, a key characteristic of UC, has basically disappeared. Thanks to my crappy diet, though, I am left with major motility issues, hence current gluten free trial.

Also, test wise, have you had a sigmoidoscopy or a colonoscopy? If you have noticed any blood in your stool, that may not be a bad idea.

I could go on forever about this stuff, so if you have any questions, please ask :-) After two years of talking to doctors about poo, I have pretty much lost any inhibitions related to talking about the subject, so anything if fair game (feel free to PM if you don't want to publicly broadcast it).
Quote Reply
Re: IBS and Training [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for sharing your stories and advices.

I have seen a doctor who did some allergy tests and one for that bacteria but I moved a week after and never got any results although he was supposed to send me a message if they had found anything.

I think I will go see another doctor. Complicated here as there are no family doctors taking new patients. Anyway, i should get some tests done at least. Most doctors I have seen over this issue just look at me and say ... to suck it up kind of thing ...

Day 3 of gluten free and from 2 to 5 pm yesterday afternoon I had the most horrible time. By 5 I started feeling better. So i did my workout 10x 1min 40s very fast running with 2min 40s easy with a warm up and cool down. I felt great. I was scared to eat dinner but I was hungry. So after I ate it started again but not as bad as in the afternoon.

Today I quit coffee.

I tried probiotics a long time ago. Didn't see anything different. I should give it a try again as maybe I ran out of bacterias down there from trying to flush things to often with laxative. I am not addicted to that stuff but somedays when I am sooooo sick of it all, i feel like emptying the guts just to have a few hours of peace...

All that talk about shit is sooo much fun !!! :0T
Quote Reply