Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

winter protection other than vaseline?
Quote | Reply
These days when the temps are in the teens or low 20s (F), or colder, I usually coat my nose and cheeks with vaseline to avoid any frostbite. However, Vaseline is really gross (wiping it off later) and petroleum based. Anyone have a suggestion I can use instead of the vaseline?
Oh, and I really hate wearing a scarf or breathing through a balaclava. Makes me feel like I'm suffocating. Thanks for any input.
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried Aquaphor? It is similar to vaseline, but is not pure petroleum jelly. I've used in on my knees for cold rides and nose and cheeks for really cold runs.

It does need to be cleaned/wiped off but I think it's easier than vaseline.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [P2SLowry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

I love Aquaphor...

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aquaphor is the bomb.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah. I've have a terrible cold since Thursday and that is the only thing that has prevented me from getting a horrible chapped nose from blowing it 500 times a day. I keep tubes of it in my gym bag and my tri bag as well. Great for healing chafing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would you guys all say aquaphor is better than body glide (i'm guessing yes)?

i use body glide to stop chafing/blisters, but not on my face (it seems weird), and i'd love to find something for my face (which gets kind of beat-up in the winter).
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bodyglide works well as a preventative to chafing, Aquaphor for healing because it soaks in.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may pick some up for my face then. I moisturize like crazy but I still get dry skin and red spots sometimes (and annoyingly, one of the guys at work keeps track of how windburned/dry my face gets :rolls eyes: )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you'll get frostbite in the teens if you are running and keeping otherwise warm. I've run down into the -30s air temp, and can't really remember every having to use vasaline. (Although I DO wear a gaiter below zero, esp. if it's windy)

I'd say try it without, perhaps?

Otheriwse, yes, aquaphor is a lot less greasy than pure petroleum jelly.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aquaphor is great, but I believe that it does have petroleum in it. Still, it's not a greasy as Vasaline. I use Vasaline, but just a light coat of it and I haven't have a problem with it being greasy. Seems that by the time I've finished running my skin has warmed up enough to 'melt' it somewhat, and it washes off easily. However, everyone is different. I don't know of anything that works as well as petroleum for keeping the bare skin on my face from freezing (or feeling like it is) when I'm running in cold, windy weather. You might look into CeraVe - I've never tried it, but I've heard good things about it. I believe it is petroleum free (could be wrong about that).
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [YarnYoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dermatone in the in works well too. You can get it at outdoor stores like EMS or REI.
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops, I meant to write dermatone in the "tin"
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [YarnYoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aquaphor ingredients: Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alchohol, Pathenol, Glycerin, Bisobolol

I have no idea what some of those are.

(I had it on the table next to me. I didn't go find it just for this post)

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is THE BEST: Kheil's No Freeze Face Protector (SPF30)
even though it has SPF I still use it when running in the dark. It doesn't clog your skin, stays on, protects against wind and cold, and has no smell. A small container is about 18 dollars but it lasts me most of the winter and I am outdoors a lot. Even though it says 'No Freeze' I also use it on long rides in the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I have the Kiehl's product and love it. Tho, I don't use it as much as you guys need it, but it is still really nice to have for those frosty a.m. runs.

N~
Quote Reply
Re: winter protection other than vaseline? [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like I'm going to pick up some Kiehl's! I found an online review and it looks super, and avoids the petroleum products. Oh, and I guess I was looking more for a product to help with windburn, and that general burn-y feeling on the face rather than 'frostbite'. The folks that chimed in and reminded me of that, thank you.

Anyway, here's the review I found:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/...0Melanie%20Doskocil/

My friend really likes the Kiehls products for her husband's sensitive skin, too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May be kinda late on this one, but I have super sensitive skin and we have wet coldish (I'm in Alabama, so it is cold to me) weather and I have lots of problems on my face. I was given a sample of Dermalogica's Barrier Repair and promptly purchased bigger sizes...one for the gym bag and one for home. Has made HUGE differences in my skin.

I also changed to their cleanser & moisturizer and my skin has improved DRAMATICALLY in the month I've been using it and the peeling that I had on my face (around my nose & mouth) is gone and the weather hasn't really changed all that much..in fact, when it gets warmer (40s-50s) but is still chilly it gets worse and that's what it has been and face is doing WAY better!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply