Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Protein ideas for vegan/vegetarian
Quote | Reply
Hi,
What protein ideas do you have for those who are vegan/vegetarian? I eat some tofu, edemame, and sometimes egges. Any other ideas?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Protein ideas for vegan/vegetarian [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beans(eg chickpeas, navy beans, black beans etc), nuts, soymilk (if you drink it), eggs are a complete protein (contain all essential amino acids), brown rice. There's a book called Lean Bean Cuisine by Jay Solomon which has some good ideas...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quinoa. A grain that is pretty high in protein.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the majority of my protein from soy milk, beans, and tofu. I keep referring back to this article and it's tables:

http://www.downbound.com/Vegan_Protein_s/469.htm

Speaking of Quinoa, here is one of my favourite recipes with it:

Quinoa Tabouleh

One cup dry quinoa
Two cups water
Two cups chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped mint
1 large diced tomato
1 large diced red onion
1/2 diced english cucumber
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring quinoa and water to a boil. reduce heat and simmer for around 15 minutes. Cool. Fluff with a fork and mix together all remaining ingredients. Lemon juice and olive oil measurements above are an estimate, I never measure anything ;)

Serve with Hummus, kalamata olives and Whole grain Pita or fresh baked flax seed bread Yum.

I could eat this every day.

Check here for nutitional content of quinoa, scroll down about halfway for detailed breakdown. Super food.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all adds up. 2 cups of brown rice with spinach, broccoli, and other veggies can easily get you 20g protein, w/o seeing any traditional protein source on the plate. I keep a pretty strict nutrition log, and since going vegan this month my protein levels have been fairly consistent with previous months, much to my surprise.
Quote Reply
Re: Protein ideas for vegan/vegetarian [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
quinoa. A grain that is pretty high in protein.
Yep, quinoa is one of the best foods that you can put into your body and it is the only grain that is considered a complete protein since it has all 9 essential amino acids in it.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Moosewood Collective have some great cookbooks if you're looking for ideas - The New Classics and Moosewood Cooks At Home have lots of simple, tasty recipes. They also have some fantastic fish recipes if you're a pescatarian (sp? a fish eating vegetarian).

I'm no longer a vegatarian but I still eats lots of tofu and beans. My post-workout, too-tired-to-actually-cook meal is a spinach salad with chick peas, it's the fastest reasonably healthy meal I can come up with. I cheat and count the chick peas as protein and carbs!

And +1 on the quinoa suggestion - it's faster to cook than rice and very tasty. Also, some dairy products have decent amounts of protein and not too much fat, yogurt and I believe cottage cheese.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i second the beans suggestion - lots of beans to try experimenting with. lentils as well - if you're used to lentils being kind of meh (that always used to be my opinion), try making them in curries (some nice indian recipes) or making ethiopian food, which i drool over dreaming of lentils). tofu is one kind of legume, but try other kinds if you're looking for a more varied diet.

seeds and nuts as well are great sources of protein, though obviously watch the fat content.

as well, are you properly combining proteins to ensure you are getting complete amino acids? if not, the general idea is grain+legumes, grain+nuts/seeds, and legumes+nuts/seeds.

my favourite high protein meal, though it's also fairly high in fat, but it's the best comfort food ever, is coconut brown rice with peanut curry sauce with sauteed veggies, chickpeas, and tempeh. yum! it's quick and easy and so good.
Last edited by: Teags: Feb 16, 09 10:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tempeh and seitan are other good sources. I use Quorn which you can get in the vegetarian frozen food section. I eat dairy so I use Fage (Greek yogurt) quite a bit, 17g, per serving. Yummy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to roll my eyes whenever somebody claims that you don't get enough protein on a vegetarian diet. It's a bit harder on a vegan diet but by mixing bean and grain combos you can actually get a more complete amino acid ratio than with meat.

I'd do a net google and you'll find all kinds of good urls on this topic.
Quote Reply
Re: Protein ideas for vegan/vegetarian [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have to roll my eyes whenever somebody claims that you don't get enough protein on a vegetarian diet. It's a bit harder on a vegan diet but by mixing bean and grain combos you can actually get a more complete amino acid ratio than with meat.

I'd do a net google and you'll find all kinds of good urls on this topic.

Yep, I get this all the time. I have been on a running binge and as a consequence have lost quite a bit of weight. I am constantly getting the "you need more protein" speech from people that looked like they swallowed a rhino. I did a food log of a typical week and found that I get around 150-160 grams of protein per day easily. All without killing an animal or drinking cow pus. ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply